Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Private School Daycare - Do They Following State Standards?
Unregistered 06:17 PM 12-28-2009
Are private school daycare centers required by law to have the 1:7 ratio of one instructor to 7 children under 2 years? The paperwork I received from my center claims to follow this ratio, however, when I drop off or pick up my child there is only ONE adult with anywhere from 10 to 13 toddlers. ONE; for the whole room!

Who would I need to contact to have this center investigated? Additionally my 17 month old comes to me dirty and demanding water/milk from me ... Then glugs 3 bottles within the hour. So between the lack of adult supervision, his filth and need of liquids, I am pretty concerned. This facility comes very recommended (from parents with elementary school aged children). Am I worried over nothing? Are private schools exempt?
Michael 11:41 PM 12-28-2009
For which State?
jen 08:16 AM 12-29-2009
Have you spoken to the center director regarding your concerns?
gbcc 08:49 AM 12-29-2009
Personally, I would speak to the director. She can provide you with information regarding state regulations. That is the most mature way to handle it.

I have been reported before because a neighbor "thought" she knew the regulations and did not. It created a lot of stress for me, my assistant, the children and the parents. I was cleared as I was doing nothing wrong but if the neighbor had approached me or gotten the correct info first it would have never happened.
mac60 10:38 AM 12-29-2009
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Personally, I would speak to the director. She can provide you with information regarding state regulations. That is the most mature way to handle it.

I have been reported before because a neighbor "thought" she knew the regulations and did not. It created a lot of stress for me, my assistant, the children and the parents. I was cleared as I was doing nothing wrong but if the neighbor had approached me or gotten the correct info first it would have never happened.
I totally agree, this is the way to handle this. Some people are too quick to report, and cause a lot of stress for others.
Unregistered 12:50 PM 12-29-2009
I worked for a center that also had a private school. The private school Pre-K was able to wiggle around DCFS ratio requirements because it was a private school.
It seemed as though that because they were not held up to the DCFS requirements for ratio at the private school, they tried to be a lot looser about ratios at the center. It wasn't legal, but they pushed the envelope anyway. That's a big part of the reason it's a center that I USED to work for. This was in Illinois BTW.
jen 04:03 PM 12-29-2009
Also, when you say your child is dirty, are we talking haven't had our faces washed all day or are we talking about paint on our shirt, grass stains on our pants...evidence of a day hard at play? My daycare kids go home dirty all of the time! We are having fun, not trying to keep clean. Dirty diapers are of course another thing.

As for the thirsty thing, that too could be a child too busy to stop for a drink or one that simply doesn't ask when they need a drink.
mac60 05:35 PM 12-29-2009
I have a child I always give a drink to when I wake him up from nap for pick up at 3. He always asks for a drink as soon as mom walks in the door. I finally told her I give him a drink everyday when I get him up. A bit controlling I would sayl.
Tags:daycare, private school
Reply Up