Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Close early or just take the entire day off?
Zoe 07:54 AM 02-03-2014
Good morning ladies!

My son has a spring concert at his school that's at 2:30-3:00 and I don't close until 3 that day. I allow myself 5 paid personal days per year and I hate to use one of them for something that's a half hour near the end of the day!

So I guess my question for you all is what would you do? I don't have anything in my policy about closing early so I'm just not sure how to handle this the best way for both myself and my families. It would only affect one family that day. I have great families that follow all of my policies so I'm not worried about anyone taking advantage or coming late.

Thoughts? Close at 1:45 that day so I can leave at 2 or just take the entire day off?
KSDC 08:01 AM 02-03-2014
I close early when I have conflicts like this. I am closing early This Thursday to go watch my sons at their Regional Scholars Bowl.

I do my best to give at least 2 weeks notice.
I don't have paid personal days in my contracts, I just subtract the appropriate amount from their weekly total.
MamaBearCanada 08:10 AM 02-03-2014
I would close early but either before or after lunch. If you close at 1.45 it disrupts naptime and you also risk missing the concert if a parent picks up late. I would charge for a 1/2day.
kathiemarie 08:13 AM 02-03-2014
I would take the whole day off. Do you have any appt. you can make for the morning? Dentist, Doctor, Hair? Or meet a friend for lunch.
Cat Herder 09:02 AM 02-03-2014
If you can't find a sub, I'd say close.

Never allow the clients an opportunity to effect your kids special events. Simple fact is they will let you down more often than not. Don't let them ruin a moment you can't re-create. The more important the event, the less leeway you need to leave.

I have great clients, too, but ____ happens to the best of them. Having a plan A-C isn't just for clients.
Play Care 09:21 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
If you can't find a sub, I'd say close.

Never allow the clients an opportunity to effect your kids special events. Simple fact is they will let you down more often than not. Don't let them ruin a moment you can't re-create. The more important the event, the less leeway you need to leave.

I have great clients, too, but ____ happens to the best of them. Having a plan A-C isn't just for clients.

When ever I've tried to stay open but close early, there is always one late parent. And usually it's the one who is NEVER late and is generally considerate. I tend to take families from higher level jobs (ones with more flexibility) - but find even they have a hard time skipping out early. Thankfully I have my sub now, but wouldn't hesitate to close if she couldn't cover.
TwinKristi 09:22 AM 02-03-2014
I would probably just close at 2 personally.
CraftyMom 09:36 AM 02-03-2014
If you plan to close early I agree before lunch and nap. Any other time you need to close early give yourself twice the amount of time you feel necessary. In my experience here is ALWAYS at least one parent late, regardless of reminders even reminders made that morning, and some just forget all together. I suggest not telling them what time the concert starts, this will give them reason to arrive past the time you state. Another great suggestion was take the whole day and do things you've been needing to do...appts and such, since the day will already be interrupted. Have fun at the concert! They grow so fast!
Luna 10:05 AM 02-03-2014
I would close. There's no way I would count on parents to pick up their children on time, and I'm not sure I could forgive them for making me miss something.
cheerfuldom 01:40 PM 02-03-2014
If you close early, have the parents pickup one hour before you have to leave. The last thing you need is to give yourself no wiggle room, a parent show up late and then you are stuck missing the event after all. I personally would say that I am closing at X time and let the parents decide if they want to use a partial day or just send their child elsewhere for the full day.
Zoe 02:27 PM 02-03-2014
Thanks for all of the replies! I already have a few days scheduled to do dr. and dentist appts and that sort of thing. I think I'll tell parents that I'm closing early and like you all said give myself more leeway than I originally wrote.

I do have transportation permission from all of them so if for some reason one doesn't show up on time I'm taking the kids to the show. No WAY am I missing DS's concert.
Tags:closing early, days off, provider - own child, special events
Reply Up