Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Brand New
Jabbi 12:14 PM 05-13-2016
Hi all! I'm brand new and just took my licensing classes. I have a few questions.

What hours do you operate? Do you allow part time or just full time?

Do you provide food or make parents provide food? Why?

My DH and I are going to be moving in the next 2 years, but we won't be far from where we are now (within 10 minutes). Anyone move while running a daycare? What was that like?

Do you write your vacations into the contract yearly? Do you offer coverage for that time? Do you charge full price for your vacation weeks, half price, or free? How long are your vacations?

Any answers are seriously appreciated!
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by Jabbi:
Hi all! I'm brand new and just took my licensing classes. I have a few questions.

My DH and I are going to be moving in the next 2 years, but we won't be far from where we are now (within 10 minutes). Anyone move while running a daycare? What was that like?

Do you write your vacations into the contract yearly? Do you offer coverage for that time? Do you charge full price for your vacation weeks, half price, or free? How long are your vacations?

Welcome to the forum! I suggest registering with the forum...

I am open M-F and operate in contracted hours. Parents contract with me for specific hours. I do not have open to close hours at all.

All families pay the same weekly fee 52 weeks a year, regardless of absences or closures.

I provide all meals and snacks. I am on a food program so that helps detour the costs of healthy foods.

I write all my vacations into my contract yearly and give parents the calendar for the year in Jan.

I reserve the right to take additional days off provided I give a min of 2 weeks notice to families and I reserve the right to close in cases of severe illness and/or an emergency or family (mine) need.

Hopefully, that helps a bit.

What state are you in?
Controlled Chaos 12:27 PM 05-13-2016

Hi! Welcome. You are going to get a huge variety of answers, and not all be applicable to your area and market.

I am open 7-5 (it took me two years to get my hours down from 7-6:30. I started working longer while I was building my reputation and filling spots. Now I refuse to work past 5.

I do have a few PT children. I charge more for those spots. I like having a mix of FT and PT.

I am on the Food Program and provide meals and snacks. I recommend not allowing parents to bring food as it can cause a lot of headaches.

I moved last year. We only moved 5min away. Be prepared to lose a few people, but with enough notice you can fill there spots before you even move. I painted to DC room, built the new IKEA furniture ect on the weekends and slowly moved toys over, so we did the big move over a weekend and were ready to go Monday morning. I have an "excuse the dust" discount that month as the apartment we were leaving was child proofed but a little chaotic.

I take all federal holidays off, plus a few extra paid days thoughout - 10 paid days a year I think... Then any extra days I give at least a months notice a prorate their monthly tuition the month of the day off. I think I am adding more "I take when I want it" paid vacation days next year though

Lots of good info here (the site not my post lol).

Welcome
DaveA 12:33 PM 05-13-2016

What hours do you operate? Do you allow part time or just full time? M-F, 6a-5p I do full time only, but some people do quite well offering or even specializing in part time care.

It's a ton of headaches to let parents provide food. Not to mention the problems it can cause with allergies or just plain parent cluelessness about nutrition. Save your self the headache of explaining that gummy fruit snacks aren't a fruit.

My DH and I are going to be moving in the next 2 years, but we won't be far from where we are now (within 10 minutes). Anyone move while running a daycare? What was that like? Never done it myself, but it is doable. Just plan ahead and expect complications. That way if it goes smoothly you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Do you write your vacations into the contract yearly? Do you offer coverage for that time? Do you charge full price for your vacation weeks, half price, or free? How long are your vacations? Make sure provisions for holiday and vacation along with other closings are in you contract. Holidays are full price, all other closings are unpaid.

answers in blue
LysesKids 12:59 PM 05-13-2016

What hours do you operate? Do you allow part time or just full time? I operate by contracted hours... prefer FT over PT due to being allowed only 4 infants (I specialize)

Do you provide food or make parents provide food? I supply all food except formula/BM Why? I teach the kids that we eat home cooked meals as a family once they are old enough to sit in the booster... it also avoids one child wanting something that another child might have; I do cater to allergies & I don't serve pork due to family requests (religion) and I offer as much Organic as possible

My DH and I are going to be moving in the next 2 years, but we won't be far from where we are now (within 10 minutes). Anyone move while running a daycare? I've moved 6 times in 16 years lol What was that like? Crazy... once it was literally just down the street... the parents all got discounts that month for hooking trailers to their trucks & we moved in one day... I was open that Monday

Do you write your vacations into the contract yearly? All my days off/vacation time is listed the first week of January for the year... Do you offer coverage for that time? NO WAY, not being responsible for someone screwing up my well oiled machine, plus the one time I did send the kids to my back-up, she essentially stole them from me, by charging less (15 yrs ago). Now I require families to find their own back up Do you charge full price for your vacation weeks, half price, or free? I charge by the month... I figure my rates off 48 weeks yearly and divide by 12 (20 business days off total) - no credits/discounts given unless I have to close an unplanned day for illness or family emergency

Answers in purple lol
wonderfullisa 04:29 AM 05-15-2016
I have moved twice in the last 2 years (I'm done, now, I swear!).
The first move was about 5 miles. I lost one family. I had moved to a more desirable neighborhood for daycare, so they were easily replaced. At the first residence, I would do phone interviews, they'd love me, but then when they learned my address, they'd cancel. This happened at least 3 times, that I can recall.
The second move was about 7 miles. I lost one more family with this move. They stayed for about a month, but it just added more to their drive than they wanted. Again, it didn't take long to fill back up. Once your name is out there, the location doesn't matter as much. This is for moves in the same community. Had I moved to a whole new area, I'm sure it would've taken a bit more time.
Josiegirl 04:51 AM 05-15-2016

I'm open 7-5 and most dcps put that down in their contract to protect themselves, even though they don't usually use it all. I have all FT ATM but if I needed to, I would take PT, making it clear to them that if a FT opportunity comes along they'd have a choice to pay FT rates or lose their spot.

I provide Breakfast, Lunch and Snack, am on the food program so that helps deter the cost. It's easier, as people have said because I've seen what some parents pack in their kids' lunches.

I never have but I do know in our state(not sure about nation wide) but you'll have to go through the whole house inspection routine again, maybe zoning, not sure what else.

52 weeks paid, no matter what. In my handbook I list the holidays I do take off as a rule. Then I add a statement about taking other time off as a vacation or a long weekend, for appts. For instance, July 4th is a Monday this year so I included in last month's newsletter I'm taking the Friday before off also. My youngest is trying to get home sometime in August(she lives across the country)so I already warned parents I might be taking a few days then too. I just can't plan that far ahead to give yearly vacation times but I tell them asap. I also specify they have dependable back-up always. They know I've never abused time off and am glad when I close for my own benefit. I think they're all well aware what burn-out can do to a dcprovider.

Welcome and good luck!!!
Unregistered 11:57 AM 05-17-2016
7am-5:30pm

I provide breakfast, snack and lunch-I'm on the food program

Parents pay after child has missed 5 days...so they get five free days.

I am not payed when I take a vacation. I'm payed for six holidays.
My daughter is a teacher and will fill in a few days for me in the summer.

I do list the holidays I'm closed in my handbook. I give one month notice of a day off. I take one week in the summer. This is info is giving to parents at least two months ahead of time.
galaxy 09:31 AM 05-18-2016
I am not open just yet but I've gone though training to be a family child care provider on an army base so I'll answer the questions I can.

-I am required to be open and available from 6am to 5:30 pm but the parents are required to put in the specific hours they need care for. I plan on taking only full time.

-I provide my own food. Except breast milk or formula. Parents are required to make the formula for the day before hand or make it in the kitchen when they drop off. (IDK army rules) I am on the food program but even if I wasn't I'd still not allow outside food because of the children fighting, potential allergies or even parents sending unhealthy lunches.

-I get all holidays off. Basically if the army has it off so do I. I get one personal day a quarter. I can take vacation time or additional personal days but the kids in my care would go to a backup provider (another home or child care center on post depending on space) and the money I would have received for that day will go to the backup provider. Parents can choose not to use the backup provider but they still have to pay for the spot.
Tags:new to daycare, start a daycare business, startup
Reply Up