Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biting 20 Month Old
Unregistered 06:52 AM 06-22-2016
What to do about a biting 20 month old? She leaves teeth marks. Usually she bites because she is mad someone has a toy she wants. How do I handle it when she bites? Timeout this far has done no good. Any advice is apprecieated.
Controlled Chaos 07:48 AM 06-22-2016
Constant supervision so you can interfere before the teeth meet skin If you have to go do something bring the child with.

Sorry Hopefully its a short phase.

If you think child may be biting due to "it feels good" as much as because they are mad then maybe try a nice frozen teether for them to gnaw on.
Blackcat31 09:02 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What to do about a biting 20 month old? She leaves teeth marks. Usually she bites because she is mad someone has a toy she wants. How do I handle it when she bites? Timeout this far has done no good. Any advice is apprecieated.
Shadow and solo play.

Biting may be a normal part of development for some kids but it is unacceptable in a group setting.
Blackcat31 09:19 AM 06-22-2016
Here is some good info on biting

http://pammshouse.com/bite.html
childcaremom 09:21 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Shadow and solo play.

Biting may be a normal part of development for some kids but it is unacceptable in a group setting.

I have a 3 strike policy. If it happens a third time I term.

I do as blackcat said, shadow and play away from the group and then gradually reintroducing child back. I take my time putting them back into the group and will stay very close by in case I get the sense that they might lash out. But I can't continue to do that indefinitely. I don't even get into a discussion as to whether or not it is dev. appropriate with parents when this comes up. If it is happening and all my attempts at curbing it aren't working, then the dck needs to go elsewhere. Every child deserves to feel safe while in my care. If it gets to the point where I need to let the child go, I will usually suggest a centre or other daycare where there are more adults. I discuss things like this with my parents during interviews so that they are aware that if stuff comes up, they may need to move on.
KiwiKids 09:23 AM 06-22-2016
I've had the best luck with shadowing. And I mean RIGHT by the biter. The 20 month old biter I had also had a speech delay and seemed to attempt a bite because she didn't have the words. I got really good at intercepting her and would model the words she needed. As her speech caught up the biting stopped.

If I couldn't be right there with the group she had to stick with me or hang out in a play pen while I made lunch or ran to the potty.
Tags:biter, biting, supervision - active vs. passive
Reply Up