Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Same name...
coolconfidentme 04:59 AM 06-16-2014
What do you do when you have DCKs with the same name? You call or direct one & the other gets confused. Neither have nicknames. Do I give them nicknames so they are confused here? Adding a 1 or 2 behind there name doesn't work btw.
BumbleBee 05:04 AM 06-16-2014
Last name initial? I had 2 Addy's once. We called them Addy B. & Addy H. Would something like that work?
bklsmum 05:04 AM 06-16-2014
I use their first and last name when I have DCKs with the same first name..
Shell 05:24 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
Last name initial? I had 2 Addy's once. We called them Addy B. & Addy H. Would something like that work?
I had four Matthew's a few years back- parents wanted full name used, not Matt or Matty, so we used initials after the name.
hope 05:24 AM 06-16-2014
Not sure what age your kiddies are but I call all the kids under one baby and then their name...so baby emma, baby Michael. I do this so that all the kids are aware that they need to be extra careful around the babies. There are rules for babies....certain toys not to be played with around babies, not to run or jump near them. This also help cut down on any duplicate names. One is baby sue and the other is big girl sue. Most of my kids are teachers kids so they "graduate" to big girl after they come back from summer vacation.
PolkaTots 05:29 AM 06-16-2014
I had 2 Emma's once...one was 2 and the other 4. The kids took it upon themselves to call them Big Emma & Little Emma...even though I addressed them by first and last name. The girls are now 6 & 8 and still refer to each other this way
Annalee 05:29 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
What do you do when you have DCKs with the same name? You call or direct one & the other gets confused. Neither have nicknames. Do I give them nicknames so they are confused here? Adding a 1 or 2 behind there name doesn't work btw.
We had 3 Matthew's one time and called them Matt-man, Matt-Matt, and Matthew...
CraftyMom 10:37 AM 06-16-2014
I've had this twice, very confusing for the kids for a long time because they were all 1.5-2 and didn't get the initial after their name. I would say something to one child and the other would look at me like I was crazy...like "why are you telling me to stop whining? I'm not even talking!" That type of thing

When I had 2 Brayden's my 2yo son renamed them Yellow Brayden and Brown Brayden since one had blonde hair and the other had brown hair

ETA: to answer the original question, I don't have a solution lol
nannyde 11:15 AM 06-16-2014
I nickname all the kids. I only use their given name when they are in trouble.
daycarediva 11:20 AM 06-16-2014
I had three COHEN's this year. Two with the same last initial, too. UGH!

Big Cohen was OBVIOUSLY tallest and Little Cohen was smallest. Middle Cohen ended up being just Cohen.

SOOOO confusing.
Crazy8 11:23 AM 06-16-2014
I would probably just tack on their last name initial. If its a popular/common name chances are that is what they will end up doing in school too. I have never had 2 of the same but had a Maddy and an Addy once and that was confusing enough!!!
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 06-16-2014
Seems I always have two with the same name.

I guess, it's never really been an issue because I don't call out to them, I'm usually looking right at them when I speak or am gesturing towards them.

If I did have to call out to them, if the wrong one answered, I'd just say "Np, the other Jane" and laugh.

Most kids with common names get pretty used to it.

My DD has a name that is predominantly male. I'd be upset if someone simply started calling her "Girl R" verses just "R". I prefer her given name. It's why we chose it.

I usually have 10-12 kids and like I said, have had multiples of names almost every year (once I had 3 Addie's ) and it's never been a big deal or something we couldn't manage.

Plus, any confusion can be viewed as a learning experience as I doubt daycare will be the first place a commonly named child will experience this dilemma.
CedarCreek 12:04 PM 06-16-2014
I used to middle-name them.

If I were to have had 2 Johns, I would use their middle name after to distinguish between the two.

In my experience, kids loved hearing their middle names. They don't hear it a lot.
SilverSabre25 12:08 PM 06-16-2014
I once had, at the same time:
Ella
Elly
Elliot
and my daughter Olivia (so, similar initial vowel)
then my niece Eliana came over....
MarinaVanessa 12:14 PM 06-16-2014
I had 2 Gabby's at one time, neither liked being called Gabriella. I called them Big Gabby and Little Gabby even though there was only 2 months between them and they were ok with that.
cheerfuldom 01:31 PM 06-16-2014
I had two Brookes one time on my cheerleading squad and when I said Big Brooke and Little Brooke, the mom accused me of calling her daughter (Big Brooke) fat! It turned into this huge thing. These were young girls so no, not teens or even tweens. I would suggest everyone chose something else besides big and little.

I have two boys with the same name and for now one is E____, the other is baby E______.
Reply Up