Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Really Have To?
Unregistered 11:42 AM 07-10-2014
Should I really have to remind parents to clip their kids finger/ toe nails and clean out their ears?? I have about 4 kids I have to do this with. I used to just take care of it myself but the parents asked me not to they asked that I let them know when nails need trimmed.

I hate long nails on boys especially when there is dirt under them yuck!
llpa 11:48 AM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Should I really have to remind parents to clip their kids finger/ toe nails and clean out their ears?? I have about 4 kids I have to do this with. I used to just take care of it myself but the parents asked me not to they asked that I let them know when nails need trimmed.

Ugh! I think it's sad that parents don't know themselves that it's time to trim them!
melilley 11:53 AM 07-10-2014
I have a child whose nails are always long and dirty and always has yellow ear wax. It bother me, but this is the same child who always comes in with a dirty face and sometimes dirty feet/legs. I can see forgetting every once in a while, but when it's all the time, that's when it bothers me.
hope 12:00 PM 07-10-2014
Gross. Ugh. Kids hands are dirty enough. No need to make it worse by neglecting to trim the nails. What's wrong with parents?
Unregistered 12:01 PM 07-10-2014
I had a little boy who's toe nails were growing over the ends of his toes :O
KiddieCahoots 12:06 PM 07-10-2014
Oh yuck is right!

I use to have a family that was awful about this. The poor baby would have nails that were so long that they'd break off on there own, and become scraggly, rigged edges. Of course, caked with dirt underneath.
I'd let mom know too, but she didn't seem to care much either way. Some people.
AmyKidsCo 12:07 PM 07-10-2014
I'll say something to the parents, like "Timmy accidentally scratched one of the other children this morning. I think his nails are getting long - isn't it amazing how quickly they grow?!"
Tdhmom 12:14 PM 07-10-2014
I had a little boy who's fingernails were so long they were curling over the end of his fingers!!!!!! How in the heck did mom never notice this until then amazed me!!!!! It was every couple months they would end up like that
CedarCreek 12:54 PM 07-10-2014
Okay, Ill play a little Devil's advocate here.

I am super freaked out about clipping my kids nails. I suck at it. I have cut them multiple times. Mine do go a while without getting theirs clipped.

My ten year old also has an UNGODLY amount of earwax. I have no idea why. I have to thoroughly clean his ears Every. Single. Day. So, his probably are a little yucky every now and then.

I agree that if you're seeing it everyday though, that's sad.
midaycare 04:17 PM 07-10-2014
I have one with the long nails here. I trim them for her when they get too long.

My son ... He's 6. I haven't had to cut his toenails since he was 3. Because he puts them on his mouth and chews them off!!! It's the most disgusting thing. He was doing taekwondo and sitting on the mat, and he started chewing off his toenails, and I was mortified. His teacher looked at him and said, "are you seriously doing that on the mat? Get off the mat if you are going to do that!" So he sat down next to me and started resuming chomping off his toenails. I'm like, "Dude! Not cool! He didn't mean to actually get off the mat and do it!"
Blackcat31 04:27 PM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

"Sorry mom, I am not your personal assistant. If you do not want me to tend to your child's needs when they are neglected, I will simply deny care when he arrives in that condition so you should probably set up a nice routine of clipping his nails every couple days so that you will always have services."
Lorna 01:04 PM 07-11-2014
I wouldn't cut them. I would fib and tell the parents that he scratched a child. Please keep them cut. Then if they got long again just say hey I really can't keep reminding you to cut his nails. Can you please keep them trimmed so no other child gets scratched. Some days I am so tired of these type of things. Dirty legs, face covered with food.
daycarediva 01:24 PM 07-11-2014
I call it Monday Manicures. Each kid gets them checked/done after breakfast. Ears cleaned, too. 4/6 I am ALWAYS the one to clean/clip.

My own kids get theirs done every Sunday night. I clean ears nightly after baths.

The only exception is autistic ds, his nails cut too short bother him (sensory issue) so his are always a little bit longer. It drives me BATTY.
Tags:cutting nails, fingernails, nail clipping, personal hygiene
Reply Up