Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Good Karma Act
Meyou 08:30 AM 12-21-2011
I've decided to take my teenage cousin's baby on a pt time basis at a significant discount outside of my contract hours.

What am I thinking????

Teenage client
Family
Baby
PT
Discount
Special Hours

That's alot of no-no's in one list. But I was thinking about silversabre's DCP that she gave a break to for months and it all worked out. My instincts tell me this will be ok.

The reality is she's a good hearted, hard working young lady who is TRYING SO HARD to do the right things and raise her child. She needs DC and doesn't have a car but I'm close to her work. I don't need the extra income and I do have a PT opening so I talked about it with dh and decided to give her a break and help her since we can. A family member can watch the baby the other two days that I can't cover.

I hope it works out. I do have to say it was quite odd that after our interview she asked if my dd was home so they could hang out. They're closer in age than her and I.
JenNJ 08:44 AM 12-21-2011
So sweet! I watch my cousin's dd about once a month free of charge. She lives far away so when my cousin needs help I am happy to offer. Her relationship with me and my kids is more important than the small amount of money I would make each year.
Meyou 08:56 AM 12-21-2011
I'm really happy to help her. I'm charging her about 60% of my normal fees but we're going to save 1/2 and give it back to her in a year as long as she continues to work hard. The other half will cover my expenses.

I've been really worried about her lately. She has so much stress for her age and normally manages it well but lately....she's been struggling because she's overworked and tired like all new moms except she's a baby herself. It's good to know that I'll see her several times a week now and she won't feel so lonely.
Heidi 10:22 AM 12-21-2011
awewsome Meyou!
daycare 10:49 AM 12-21-2011
so super nice of you... what a gift you are giving. It feels nice when we can do things for others like this. Especially ones that really need the help..
Crazy8 11:06 AM 12-21-2011
I think you are going into it with the right attitude - you know you are doing it to help this mom and child. Good for you!!! Hope it all works out and you are able to relieve a little stress from this young new mom!
Meeko 11:35 AM 12-21-2011
Good for you! I really hope your kindness pays off for all of you.

I think it's a shame that in general, providers are wary of helping out because we get abused so often.

This sounds very hopeful!!!

Merry Christmas!
KEG123 11:43 AM 12-21-2011
Thats very sweet of you, especially the part where you're going to give her half back of her already reduced rate. The karma fairy is going to pay you back nicely in some way, shape or form.
Blackcat31 11:52 AM 12-21-2011
This kind of thing is the reason I chose to be self employed. It is nice to be able to do something good just because......

Nice job Meyou! May karma give back to you tenfold.
SilverSabre25 12:34 PM 12-21-2011

AWESOME!!!

I'm so excited that my success is inspiring someone else!

I bet that you'll be nothing but a force of good in that young lady's life! I LOVE your idea of keeping half of what she's paying you to give back to her in a year. That is so awesome!

Country Kids 12:46 PM 12-21-2011
I have a family like this. Young mom but the hardest worker you will ever meet. Very responsible, great mother, and has raised the most polite, thoughtful little girl you will ever meet also. This child lights up the room when she walks in because she has the best, best personality.

I know this will work for you!
Meyou 01:07 PM 12-21-2011
Thanks ladies! Silver, you totally inspired me! I was really hesitant in my head even though my heart was telling me to help her and your story really helped. I told my dh and we agreed that since we didn't need the money or the spot filled we would use it to give her a break. Also, to give her a chance to be independent (while still having a little safety net there).

I'm pretty excited to help her out. I have several cousins raising children in less than desirable conditions so anything I can do to keep her on the right path and make that path a little easier I'm happy to do. She's young enough that I feel more like an aunt than a cousin. She was only 4 when my oldest dd was born.
Meyou 04:05 AM 02-28-2012
I just wanted to update that my cousin is doing very well at the working mom thing. She's paid on time or early every week and I haven't had to ask for a supply yet because she's always restocking the baby's things. She's asked for one of my open FT spots starting next week at full price so we're going for it. She understood she would lose her discount going FT (I can't afford a discount of a FT spot) but she said it was more important for her daughter to have a stable place to go until she starts school.

PLUS the baby is the sweetest, easiest, cutest little thing you have ever seen. As my DH says....she's family cute.

Sometimes taking a chance really does work out and make a difference for someone. I'm glad I can help do that for my cuz. I admire her dedication.
Sunchimes 06:27 AM 02-28-2012
You know, she will never forget that you were there for her when she needed a boost. You will always hold a special place in her heart. That's it's own kind of karma, IMO.

I'm so glad it is working out for you!
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 02-28-2012
Awesome! I love a feel good story that works out well!
Unregistered 06:51 AM 02-28-2012
My mother was like that while she did daycare. It was like she attracted all the young single moms.Low income families who were struggling to get by.I know she sometimes felt taken advantage of but she rarely complained.She did it for the kids.When she passed in 2009 I can't even begin to tell you all the kids who spoke at her funeral.Some said it was the only "true love" they have ever felt. Some spoke of how they wouldn't be where they were in life without my mother.Many parents spoke also about how found strength through my mom that they could be great parents.
I think about that now and know that I don't think I could do all that she did. God bless you for helping where you can.You never know how you can touch others lives.
SilverSabre25 07:21 AM 02-28-2012
So glad it's worked out! That's awesome!!

I love it when we hear such great stories!
Tags:karma, positive
Reply Up