Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>MN Providers & First Aid Class
MARSTELAC 06:40 AM 12-15-2010
For you MN providers...do you know if you need a first aid class beyond the one required at initial licensing? I cannot seem to find reference to it in the rule beyond the first class required....
Thanks!

Blackcat31 07:02 AM 12-15-2010
Yep, Infant and Child First Aid needs to be renewed every 3 years. At least that is what my licensor tells me. She says most cards say 2 years but state law says every 3. My licensor recommends to do it every 2 but I am required to do every 3 by state. Hope that helps.....
DanceMom 07:51 AM 12-15-2010
This is from the Hennepin County Website. CPR is only every 3 yrs. First Aid is once in a lifetime - per my licensor. Any questions email your licensor.

Second Year and Beyond :You must take 8 hours of child related training per year.*
The Shaken Baby Syndrome video must be viewed on years training is not taken (this does not count toward your 8 hours)
The CPR course must be updated every 3 years and counts toward the 8 hours.**
The SIDS/Shaken Baby Syndrome training must be updated every 5 years and counts toward the 8 hours.**
Blackcat31 08:10 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
This is from the Hennepin County Website. CPR is only every 3 yrs. First Aid is once in a lifetime - per my licensor. Any questions email your licensor.

Second Year and Beyond :You must take 8 hours of child related training per year.*
The Shaken Baby Syndrome video must be viewed on years training is not taken (this does not count toward your 8 hours)
The CPR course must be updated every 3 years and counts toward the 8 hours.**
The SIDS/Shaken Baby Syndrome training must be updated every 5 years and counts toward the 8 hours.**
Wow...I am surprised at the differing answers within the same state. Since we are licensed through the state I would only think every county would be the same for general licensing rules. When I originally read the post, I call my licensor and asked her directly and was told every 3 but good idea to do every 2 since the Red Cross's training is actually valid for only 2 years......hmmm very interesting......

Wait.....I called Wright County and asked the licensor for that county and she told me that it is only once per lifetime and that different licensors interpret the rules different and then she gave me the link for the state so here it is.....https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=245A.50 I guess in my opinion, state trumps county.....
DanceMom 08:57 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wow...I am surprised at the differing answers within the same state. Since we are licensed through the state I would only think every county would be the same for general licensing rules. When I originally read the post, I call my licensor and asked her directly and was told every 3 but good idea to do every 2 since the Red Cross's training is actually valid for only 2 years......hmmm very interesting......

Wait.....I called Wright County and asked the licensor for that county and she told me that it is only once per lifetime and that different licensors interpret the rules different and then she gave me the link for the state so here it is.....https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=245A.50 I guess in my opinion, state trumps county.....

When I have gone to trainings - the biggest complaint from providers is how much the licensors differ in what they tell their providers. Answers are alway different - drives everyone crazy !!
daysofelijah 09:03 AM 12-15-2010
Huh, I thought we had to retake first aid every few years (don't remember exactly how many) I know I've taken it twice. Now I can't find anything on any of the forms or Anoka Co. website that says you have to take it more than once. I swear my licensor always told me I had to take it every 3 years or so though. Of course I am on my fourth licensor in 8 years so who knows if they know what they are talking about.
DCMom 10:04 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
When I have gone to trainings - the biggest complaint from providers is how much the licensors differ in what they tell their providers. Answers are alway different - drives everyone crazy !!
This is my biggest pet peeve with licensing. We have to watch the same 13 minutes SIDS movie from the 1970's every year, but they can't figure how often we need to take First Aid and CPR??

I just take it every two years...I figure I need it anyway and it covers a good chunk of the training hours we need every year. Usually I have an employee who needs to have it and I just go with them.
MommyMuffin 10:12 AM 12-15-2010
I would just take it again before your first one expires. Even though we all must have it I post my certificate on my bulletin board and put it in my advertising so of course I need it to be current...also because I am a LPN I have to keep it up to date.

Just a good idea to keep it up to date anyways...they change the rules sometimes, like how many breaths and such. You never know when you will need to remember it..hopefully never!!
MARSTELAC 11:53 AM 12-15-2010
just heard back from my licensor.....first aid only required once! surprising..... you guys are right...it is confusing...different rules for different counties and we are all in the same state....would be nice if there was some consistency :-) thank you all for your replies!
Tags:first aid
Reply Up