Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Days Off / Just Curious
PitterPatter 12:54 PM 02-17-2012
I saw another post about days off and notice that a lot of people here have them paid (sooooo lucky!!) I didn't want to hijack the thread so I started my own.

I notice when providers get paid days off some have mentioned they try not to take so many. I myself get NO paid days off at all. Sick, vacation (which I never take) and holidays are all at no charge to the parents. My question is if none of your days off were paid would you take more off or not feel so bad about taking what you do? I usually take 10 days off for holidays and rarely close due to illness in the home. No vacations. I really would like to have more than a couple days off in a row this year and take my family somewhere special. Problem is I am feeling kinda guilty because my clients CLAIM they have no one else (in the past with other clients it had been proven lies so I wonder about the truth now) Would you feel bad taking more time off if the parents didn't have to pay for it or would that make a difference? How many days would you feel comfortable taking off if you were not paid for them?
cheerfuldom 12:58 PM 02-17-2012
I did feel bad when I first stared and would take only unpaid days off. Now my current contract is 10 paid vacation days and also paid holidays (there's at least six of those). None of my parents batted an eye when I started doing this and no one has questioned this during the interview. All parents must have a backup plan for childcare. You really should redo contracts and give yourself paid time off.
bice99 12:58 PM 02-17-2012
I am closed with pay for all stat holidays, first and last day of school, one week of Christmas break. I raised my rates by $5 per week last year and charge based on a 50 week year (two weeks unpaid - one at Christmas break, the other spring break). I also have 5 paid days to use if needed for my DD's field trips, trainings, sickness, etc. Up to 10 other days unpaid that are usually in the summer. Everything is in my handbook, so parents understand it going into it.
PitterPatter 01:06 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I did feel bad when I first stared and would take only unpaid days off. Now my current contract is 10 paid vacation days and also paid holidays (there's at least six of those). None of my parents batted an eye when I started doing this and no one has questioned this during the interview. All parents must have a backup plan for childcare. You really should redo contracts and give yourself paid time off.
I would love to charge for a day off but I am not permitted to. (subsidy) I'm trying really hard to save a few bucks and take some time off. It's hard with only a few kids but I want to get away from my home for more than a weekend which we haven't even done a weekend for 3 years! My dream vacation is a whole week off at a nice hotel with lots of family attractions. I keep picturing Disneyland but that won't happen.
Crazy8 01:14 PM 02-17-2012
I take one week paid vacation and the "usual" big holidays as paid. I don't think the number of days I would take would change if they were unpaid. I pride myself on being a reliable source of daycare. I am not a center so there are times I can't be open, but I don't think I've EVER taken a day off because I was sick (and I've been operating a hdc for over 10 years). I don't just close to go to school events, unless its some really big deal like my kids graduation, LOL! And I always give as much notice as possible if I do need to close! I let people know in interviews that while I feel I do not take an excessive amount of days off that things can come up and they are expected to have back up care!!! Them not having back up would not be my problem!
saved4always 02:02 PM 02-17-2012
I give as much notice as possible if I am taking a day off but I don't feel bad about taking off. My family deserves a vacation or medical care or whatever as much as the dcp's. Of course, mine all have back up care plus I have a couple of friends who also do home daycare so they are sometimes available to fill in, too. I do not charge for my days off or vacations. I try to make appts. on days that I have less kids or ones that are more convenient for my dcp's whenever possible.
bunnyslippers 03:28 PM 02-17-2012
I am allowed 5 paid personal/sick days per year by contract. I am closed during all holidays, school vacations, and snow days (only the first five per season) without charge. That being said, I charge significantly more than most daycares in my area. I think the parents I have here feel that if they are paying more, they are getting the rolls royce of child care (I live in a competitive area). I have had a few parents give me grief about my days off. Those parents have left, and then tried to come back a few months later.
AmyLeigh 04:01 PM 02-17-2012
I don't charge for my vacation time. I take at least 2 weeks for family vacation and another 2-3 days when my cousin/BFF comes out here for a visit in the summer. All of my families have back-up, some are actually each other's back up, since they have opposite days off.
Gotta be careful with the guilt. Last year, I was talking with the g-father of 3 of my dcb's just before my vacation. He was going to take the boys a couple of days while I was off. We were only going to be gone 3 days, but dh insisted I take the entire week off with him. Anyway, g-pa asked how many days we were going to be gone. I almost let the proverbial cat out, but dh came up from behind me and said, "She's taking the entire week off." End of discussion. I am positive g-pa would have guilted me into a much shorter vacation week so he would not have to take care of the boys. If I did, I would have been angry at myself and resentful towards these families.
cheerfuldom 06:35 PM 02-17-2012
well all the different subsidy regulations confuse me when it varies state to state. Were you the one that was posting that you HAD to provide backup care for your subsidy clients if you have days off? I have never and will never do subsidy. Sounds like a big PITA no matter what state you are from
PitterPatter 06:46 PM 02-17-2012
well all the different subsidy regulations confuse me when it varies state to state. Were you the one that was posting that you HAD to provide backup care for your subsidy clients if you have days off? I have never and will never do subsidy. Sounds like a big PITA no matter what state you are from
Yes we have to provide back up here. I try to work around schedules as much as possible because I do feel bad for parents who really don't have anyone else. This is a large reason why I haven't ever had a real vacation. Last one I did was just a 3 day weekend. I can't find someone to take kids in for that long. When I get private pay clients I can do what I want with them. I still don't charge for days off though because I don't think it's fair to charge 1 and not the other. Plus I did try that once when I only had private pay and I got laughed at right in my face. Totally humiliating so I never tried it again.

The only way my licensor would find out is if a parent reported me for not providing back up. Haven't had that problem yet but then again I rarely take a day off. I will be taking a vaca this year. Just gotta risk it. I figure if I am valued at all then no one will make a report so I would be safe.
cheerfuldom 08:49 PM 02-17-2012
I guess I don't understand what all the other subsidy providers in your area do in order to take vacation.....how is this system possible without severe provider burnout? what about unexpected illness, maternity leaves and other things where people literally have to close for a bit? Isn't there some sort of allowance for these things? just curious as to how this works. where are you from????
PitterPatter 07:03 AM 02-18-2012
I guess I don't understand what all the other subsidy providers in your area do in order to take vacation.....how is this system possible without severe provider burnout? what about unexpected illness, maternity leaves and other things where people literally have to close for a bit? Isn't there some sort of allowance for these things? just curious as to how this works. where are you from????
Most providers I know have families that help. I know 2 providers when they are ill the DH or daughters run the daycare. I use to have a provider that would take in some kids but now she is full. We are required to have a back up to be on the subsidy program. We are told it's our option and can leave at any time but we would no longer be able to take subsidy clients and around here almost anyone can get subsidy because you are allowed to make A LOT of money and still get daycare. I do sometimes have back up but not all the time. It's impossible because my family and friends work. I don't know anyone who doesn't work and can sit around waiting for a call to come do daycare. I told the office that and she said sorry those are the rules. She always says they are here for underprivleged families. Does not matter the reason we take off, illness, vacation, pregnancy, etc we provide back up. The only way they find out though is if we are reported and I'm thinking no one is going to report unless they are ready to leave the daycare because that would cause friction between provider/client. I am in WV.
momma2girls 01:40 PM 02-18-2012
I have all major Holidays paid, and 2 weeks vac. paid. Everyone deserves a paid vacation every yr.!!!
Tags:days off, paid days
Reply Up