Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Charge For SA's?
Countrygal 04:13 AM 11-13-2012
I realize there is probably a thread on this somewhere, but my search turned up almost every thread in the forum.

What, proportionately, do you charge for SA's?

Do you charge less (because they require less care) - that is actually the norm around here - twice as much, half again as much? How much more or less than your dc kids? The state actually pays significantly less for those on assistance for SA kids (per hour). As one poster said, they eat more, take more of your time, take "bigger" toys, etc....
blandino 05:28 AM 11-13-2012
We don't do school age anymore, but when we did it was the same rate as our non-infant rate. In addition to eating more, I also feel like they need more stimulation and at the end of the day regardless of anything else - they are taking up a spot - and to me that's the ultimate reason you shouldn't charge less.
daycarediva 06:06 AM 11-13-2012
I charge less and greatly regret it.

My 2-5 rate is $175/week and my SA before and after rate is $75 (or $150 in summer). I am actually discontinuing SA care before this summer. They monopolize my time/attention and the littles toys. Yesterday I actually broke up three different games they were playing outside because they were using the ride ons as barriers for houses and were refusing to let the kids have them.
littlemissmuffet 06:49 AM 11-13-2012
I am probably going to be closing my current program and re-opeing as a B/A school program some time in the new year. I will be charging $400/month (which ends up being about $18/day).
blandino 07:06 AM 11-13-2012
I was thinking that you were referring to days/weeks that they come full-time. When we had SA, and they were just coming before and after, it was about 40/50 % of our regular rate. But when school was out, I think they should be at the same rate as our other children.
youretooloud 07:22 AM 11-13-2012
A million dollars a week.
nanglgrl 07:49 AM 11-13-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
A million dollars a week.
I wish I could charge a million dollars a week. Around here parents complain if they have to pay more than one hundred thousand.

In response to the original poster, when I did school age care I charged the same in the summer as my other children. For the school year I charged my minimum $75 a week. My license allows for 6 preschool plus 2 part timers plus 4 school agers so they don't really take up one of my full time slots except in the summer.
sharlan 07:59 AM 11-13-2012
Definitely not enough. They are not my most favorites.
DCMom 08:02 AM 11-13-2012
I charge $110/wk all year. It includes B/A, school off days and summers. At that price, parents have to really think about whether or not they want them here. I also only take SA that have a preschool sibling in my care.

I am phasing out SA care. I have always taken SA since starting dc, but the last few years have proven to me that it is exhausting to try and integrate them into a predominantly preschool home daycare. It's not that I don't like SA's, it's just that they have different needs.

I think a SA program only is a great idea Littlemissmuffet, I have often thought it would be fun to do.
Countrygal 01:56 PM 11-13-2012
I am thinking I am going to have to go to a set rate. I have only been charging by the hour at the same rate as toddlers, but I am losing a full time slot and am not getting much pay because they frequently cancel (like from one to three days per week and they are only here four days!) I can't afford to lose a space for these two and receive 25.00 like I did last week and this week looks to be even less! NOT worth it, but on the other hand I don't want to lose them. I think at the first of the year they will be going on a per week plan just like the toddler......

Actually, I was considering doing a before/after school care. Unfortunately the way the rules read you need to have a building and be a center for before/after school care. I need to dig further. That just doesn't make any sense. I also need to see if there would be a need for it in this area.....
Country Kids 02:00 PM 11-13-2012
My rates;

Before or after=$75.00 monthyly

Before and after=$150.00 monthly

Days off from school=$25.00 on top of the above
AfterSchoolMom 02:25 PM 11-13-2012
I used to charge 60 for one or the other, and 80 for B/A. Now I have parents complaining about 50/65.
mom2many 02:35 PM 11-13-2012
My rates are the following:

Infants & preschoolers - $200/week
S/A - $150/week (The rate stays the same regardless of holidays or vacations)
Meyou 02:04 AM 11-14-2012
Littles - $150/week (10 hour day max)
SA - $100/week (afterschool only- pickup from school and 3 hour max on school days)

My SA rate also includes inservice days for no extra fee. Since I'm charging a high daily rate it's a good tradeoff for me to offer a few full days at a "built in discount". They save a little money (and think they're getting a deal) and I don't have to walk to the school with my littles. lol

For July and August SA pay my regular $150/week rate.
DaisyMamma 05:15 AM 11-14-2012
Full time preschool rate: $175
Full time infant rate: $200

After school M-F $75
Single days off of school add $25 (to the $75)
Half days off of school add $10
Full weeks off of school add $100

Before school only: I guess I would charge $50 but they can't come before 7am. I usually say no to before school care.
Reply Up