Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does anyone else run a daycare out of a rental home?
Binkybobo 05:32 PM 12-05-2012
When I moved into this home 5.5 years ago, I had already planned to run a home daycare out of it It wsn't until I had handed over my money and signed the lease that I realized that the HOA does not allow any business of any kind including home daycare. Home daycare was mentioned specifically. I never told my landlord my plans, and I was afraid that licencing would contatc the HOA, so I decided to be legally unlicenced or listed home which limits the amount of children that I can take in. I am looking for a new rental property, but I want my new place to be fabulous, I am afraid that mentioning it to the landlord may scare them especially if they are renting out a nice home. I want to become licenced so that I can have more kids in my group and hire help. Has anyone had experience dealing with this while house hunting? Have you dealt with the HOA? I want tobe honest and upfront, but I don't want it to mess up my chances for a nice home. I plan on buying a home in a coule of yers after I've worked on my credit. Thanks
snips&snails 01:20 AM 12-06-2012
Depends on your state maybe? In California we are required to notify out landlords of our intention to operate a childcare but they can't say no or kick us out...I rent, my lanlords are very supportive of my venture but as long as landlord approval isn't required I wouldn't tell them until it was official
Lianne 05:09 AM 12-06-2012
I rent my home but I live in Ontario, Canada where our licensing is very different and has no benefit to the provider. Most providers I know here are not licensed. I rent from a man who has many rental properties around town and uses a property management company as the middle man. I like that! Repairs get done quickly and any improvements I choose to make are appreciated.

When I was viewing the house and filling out the application, I was honest about what my career was. I had been referred to the house by a contractor I had give me an estimate at my previous house and he was impressed by the condition of my home despite running a daycare. His recommendation quelled the landlord's fears of damage to the property. I also explained my insurance coverage and offered to give them a signed letter from my insurance company stating my liabilty coverage and that the landlord would not be liable should I be sued by a client. My offer to do this impressed the landlord as did my desire for a long term rental so he offered me the house. He even lowered the rent by $50/month

I have made improvements in the home and have plans for more come the spring/summer including painting the outside of the house and garage and replacing the crumbling brick garden in front of the house. I suggested the landlord pay for the supplies and I'll provide the labour and he agreed. It improves his home, makes my business look good and it costs us both less money
Binkybobo 08:58 AM 12-06-2012
I guess I will have to take my time finding the perfect situation. Nice house/willing landlord. Thanks
MarinaVanessa 09:20 AM 12-06-2012
Originally Posted by snips&snails:
Depends on your state maybe? In California we are required to notify out landlords of our intention to operate a childcare but they can't say no or kick us out...I rent, my lanlords are very supportive of my venture but as long as landlord approval isn't required I wouldn't tell them until it was official
Yes this! I really hope that the OP's State is one that protects FCC like CA does. As Snips & Snails stated here in CA we are only required to notify our landlords/HOA that we will doing FCC. We don't need to ask and we cannot be denied simply because we do daycare BUT even here a landlord can say that they are denying your application to rent because of other reasons, which is why we are recommended to not notify the landlord until after the contract is signed and you're all moved in .

I live in an HOA in CA and all I had to do was send them a letter to notify them and have insurance which names them on it and that was it. I know here landlord can't raise your rent simply because you do DC either, they can only raise your rent once a year by 10% which is normal anyway. They can however raise your deposit requirement to as much as double one months rent.

What State are you in Binky?

And what area are you from Snips? Just wondering where my fellow Californian lives . I'm in Ventura County.
allsmiles 09:26 AM 12-06-2012
thats something i was worried about too.. a landlord that would be okay with the idea.. and also alot of NICE properties here are only for rent because the people cant sell right now.. i would like to get a property i could feel stable in and wouldnt have to uproot my parents. alot to think about..
daycare 09:32 AM 12-06-2012
i rent and live in an hoa....i cant sell my home that I own and so when I moved, I was forced to rent.

I have a large daycare and have had no issues with it. My landlord does an annual inspection of my home and loves me. I have to keep the house tip top shape in every area, because of the business. NOt that I would not keep it that way otherwise, but with the daycare, I have to keep it clean,l neat and attractive to all of my clients.

Some are saying dont disclose your business until after, the only problem that I see with that is that you need to be able to disclose your income to get qualified. I had that issue when I tried to find a place to rent. I needed my income to get us qualified, so I had to disclose the nature of my business
MarinaVanessa 10:00 AM 12-06-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:

Some are saying dont disclose your business until after, the only problem that I see with that is that you need to be able to disclose your income to get qualified. I had that issue when I tried to find a place to rent. I needed my income to get us qualified, so I had to disclose the nature of my business
It may work differently in your state but here under occupation people put "Childcare Provider" and get a DBA to be able to name their daycare so under employer they write their daycare name like "Lovable Peanuts Daycare" then they provide their tax returns for the previous years.

I had to it this way recently for my car loan when I bought a new DC van and will have to do it this way again when and if we purchase a new home (with no HOA ). But not sure if that works everywhere.
Binkybobo 10:43 AM 12-06-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yes this! I really hope that the OP's State is one that protects FCC like CA does. As Snips & Snails stated here in CA we are only required to notify our landlords/HOA that we will doing FCC. We don't need to ask and we cannot be denied simply because we do daycare BUT even here a landlord can say that they are denying your application to rent because of other reasons, which is why we are recommended to not notify the landlord until after the contract is signed and you're all moved in .

I live in an HOA in CA and all I had to do was send them a letter to notify them and have insurance which names them on it and that was it. I know here landlord can't raise your rent simply because you do DC either, they can only raise your rent once a year by 10% which is normal anyway. They can however raise your deposit requirement to as much as double one months rent.

What State are you in Binky?

And what area are you from Snips? Just wondering where my fellow Californian lives . I'm in Ventura County.
Texas
Speaking of illegal. I was having this very same conversation with one of my dcms the other day. She used to run a home daycare, but had a hard time filling up so went back to work. She said that when she was house hunting one landlord threatened to charge her double deposit (the deposit being equal to the amount of rent) up front before she could move in. After that she decided not to tell her current landlord her plans. I don't want to live in fear of constantly being shut down, so I will have to be honest with the homeowner. I just want a NICE, BIG space that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out!
allsmiles 10:54 AM 12-06-2012
Originally Posted by Binkybobo:
Texas
Speaking of illegal. I was having this very same conversation with one of my dcms the other day. She used to run a home daycare, but had a hard time filling up so went back to work. She said that when she was house hunting one landlord threatened to charge her double deposit (the deposit being equal to the amount of rent) up front before she could move in. After that she decided not to tell her current landlord her plans. I don't want to live in fear of constantly being shut down, so I will have to be honest with the homeowner. I just want a NICE, BIG space that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out!
thats what i expected (double deposit). i mean i would be afraid as well of damage to my home if i was to rent it out for a daycare. Could get very expensive but that is better than a flat out no. I get worried just thinking about that first convo.."umm yes, and i will be operating a home daycare" as i duck in case the landlord throws my application at me LOL
Blackcat31 12:37 PM 12-06-2012
If I were a landlord, I would actually want to rent to a child care provder.

I would think they (the provider) would plan to stay as tenants longer since they are operating a business and since they (here atleast) are required to keep the home in good condition and carry insurance, it seems a child care provider would be a desireable tenant.

Perhaps, approach it from the positives when talking with a potential landlord and he might see things from that perspective and be happy to rent to you.
Binkybobo 12:41 PM 12-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I would think they (the provider) would plan to stay as tenants longer since they are operating a business and since they (here atleast) are required to keep the home in good condition and carry insurance, it seems a child care provider would be a desireable tenant.

Perhaps, approach it from the positives when talking with a potential landlord and he might see things from that perspective and be happy to rent to you.
Wow! I am definitely going to slip those points into the conversation. Thank you!
daycare 01:02 PM 12-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

this is why my landlord loves me....for all the reason you listed....plus I make yummy treats at the holidays for them too......hahahha
MarinaVanessa 01:20 PM 12-06-2012
Okay so here's what I found about Texas:

"Small businesses must comply with zoning and lease provisions.
Check with the local municipal or county government to make sure
that a home-based business does not violate zoning laws.
Tenants should check with landlords to make sure that running a small
business does not violate a provision of the lease."

Got Kids?
Laws Affecting Home-based Day Care Providers
http://www.texascbar.org/content/leg...inuteNov05.pdf

So it looks like Texas doesn't protect FCC. In CA FCC isn't considered a commercial use of a residencial space, here FCC's are still considered residencial use of space.
Reply Up