Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Winter Weather & Timely Pick-ups. . . . .
momofboys 09:46 AM 02-05-2010
The weather here in central Ohio is frightful! Where I am at we've already gotten a few inches of snow (with many more predicted) & the schools announced they are releasing 2 hrs early. I think today would be a good afternoon to play games & watch a movie with my school-agers. My thoughts instantly drift to pick-up times. How do you all handle weather-related lateness? I don't have a late fee in my contract - - I know I need to change that (& I plan to VERY SOON - March 1st I think, need to get the papers to my parents) but I am certain that both my parents will be late. Heck, one of them is barely on time when the weather is good let alone bad weather. I know everyone can't just leave early but it won't be fair to me & my family to watch kids for an extra 30-45 min while everyone trucks it to my house to pick up their kids. So are you lenient when the weather is poor?
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:16 AM 02-05-2010
I am,.. I always tell them,.. take your time and get here safe, Id rather have you late than dead.

Originally Posted by janarae:
The weather here in central Ohio is frightful! Where I am at we've already gotten a few inches of snow (with many more predicted) & the schools announced they are releasing 2 hrs early. I think today would be a good afternoon to play games & watch a movie with my school-agers. My thoughts instantly drift to pick-up times. How do you all handle weather-related lateness? I don't have a late fee in my contract - - I know I need to change that (& I plan to VERY SOON - March 1st I think, need to get the papers to my parents) but I am certain that both my parents will be late. Heck, one of them is barely on time when the weather is good let alone bad weather. I know everyone can't just leave early but it won't be fair to me & my family to watch kids for an extra 30-45 min while everyone trucks it to my house to pick up their kids. So are you lenient when the weather is poor?

Pammie 10:17 AM 02-05-2010
Hi Janarae
I'm here right outside of Columbus - looking out my window and thinking the same thing

But I am lenient, and let it slide on bad weather days. I'd rather them take extra caution and get here safely - and I do tell them that when they call to tell me how bad the roads are.
originalkat 10:46 AM 02-05-2010
Our snow is finally melting today...but I am also lenient on bad weather days. If their workplaces do not let them off early, there really isnt much they can do about the weather. One of my parents gets here at closing time EVERY day. But she works on the other side of town and gets off at 5 so that is how long it takes. On bad weather days she is bound to be late but I have never charged her.
mac60 12:17 PM 02-05-2010
I am 3 hours north of you ladies in Columbus, and it hasn't even snowed here yet......I am impatiently waiting for it. I talked to my son Austin who is near OSU at noon, and he told me he had about 2 inches then.......send it my way.

If you know it is truly weather related, then I probably wouldn't say anything. But it would be nice if they would just give you a "little bonus" for your extra time. I mean they got paid for the whole day, and you should get paid for the extra.
tymaboy 12:35 PM 02-05-2010
I guess I am pretty lucky. My parents take off early if theres bad weather, they think of the road conditions & dont want there kids out in it if possible. If they cant get of early I am pretty lenient unless they are have a habit of being late then I will charge them.
momma2girls 02:27 PM 02-05-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I guess I am pretty lucky. My parents take off early if theres bad weather, they think of the road conditions & dont want there kids out in it if possible. If they cant get of early I am pretty lenient unless they are have a habit of being late then I will charge them.
Yeah, I haven't had that too much either. If it was truly, because of the weather, I wouldn't charge them, but I know some will still try and abuse it if they could!!!!!
Tags:charges, fees, overtime, pick up, snow, weather
Reply Up