Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update
Heart12 02:50 PM 08-02-2016
So, this went really bad really fast

I called licensing a few times & finally she answered. I very nicely asked if she was still coming today. She said "no, Im going to TRY to come tomorrow." I asked her if she had a time frame in mind because the kids & I had stayed around the house all day waiting for her. I must have offended her because This woman WENT OFF on me. Im not going to get into detail about what she said, because I really dont want to cry again- but she left it with "your house was probably too clean for me today anyway." Which I was like HUH?? But now Im wondering if she was indirectly accusing me of hiding something??? I have no idea. After I hung up the phone I called my husband crying hysterically. I have never felt so disrespected in my life! I couldnt even hold it together long enough for my 1 daycare kid to leave. My husband & a couple of close friends told me that I needed to go above her head & complain. By this time it was after hours so I sent an email explaining the situation to her boss. Now Im worried even more about this inspection. I felt like I just got bullied & I just had to take it. This woman is new & she told me before that she was a provider for 12 yrs. Where was the compassion? I feel so defeated today
grandmom 02:53 PM 08-02-2016
Is this your first inspection? In my state the only time you know they are coming is the first time. After that, it's anytime, unannounced.

Don't back down with the supervisor. We are bullied because we allow it.
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 08-02-2016
Originally Posted by Heart12:

I called licensing a few times & finally she answered. I very nicely asked if she was still coming today. She said "no, Im going to TRY to come tomorrow." I asked her if she had a time frame in mind because the kids & I had stayed around the house all day waiting for her. I must have offended her because This woman WENT OFF on me. Im not going to get into detail about what she said, because I really dont want to cry again- but she left it with "your house was probably too clean for me today anyway." Which I was like HUH?? But now Im wondering if she was indirectly accusing me of hiding something??? I have no idea. After I hung up the phone I called my husband crying hysterically. I have never felt so disrespected in my life! I couldnt even hold it together long enough for my 1 daycare kid to leave. My husband & a couple of close friends told me that I needed to go above her head & complain. By this time it was after hours so I sent an email explaining the situation to her boss. Now Im worried even more about this inspection. I felt like I just got bullied & I just had to take it. This woman is new & she told me before that she was a provider for 12 yrs. Where was the compassion? I feel so defeated today
Oh, I am sorry she treated you that way.

I am sure she was implying that since you were expecting her that you cleaned your house and made it look presentable. It was an underhanded and mean thing to say either way.

I applaud you for going over her head. Your licensor is NOT your boss. She is suppose to support you in meeting and maintaining licensing standards.

Hang in there.. some people are just plain rude.

JackandJill 03:31 PM 08-02-2016

Heart12 03:43 PM 08-02-2016
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Is this your first inspection? In my state the only time you know they are coming is the first time. After that, it's anytime, unannounced.

Don't back down with the supervisor. We are bullied because we allow it.
This is my first inspection. She came for a surprise inspection while I was away on vacation, so she left a note saying to call her to schedule it. Ive had 3 appointments with her & she has no call/no show on all 3. I have nothing to hide, I just want it over with
Heart12 03:47 PM 08-02-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh, I am sorry she treated you that way.

I am sure she was implying that since you were expecting her that you cleaned your house and made it look presentable. It was an underhanded and mean thing to say either way.

I applaud you for going over her head. Your licensor is NOT your boss. She is suppose to support you in meeting and maintaining licensing standards.

Thank you BC. I feel like they are setting me up for failure. Some of the "rules" they have are nowhere in the regulations so in my email to her boss, I asked him to please point out where it says xyz. (learned that from you lovelies on here )
e.j. 04:08 PM 08-02-2016

I'm sorry she treated you the way she did. She should have gone to your house as scheduled or she should have called to cancel if something unexpected came up. Her behavior in this situation has been just plain rude.

The last time I renewed my license, the licensor made an announced visit so of course I made sure the house was clean. Who wouldn't clean their house if they knew their licensor was coming?! Since the inspection also fell on what was my usual day off, I had only 1 child present instead of my usual 6 - so it was much easier to keep the house clean. During her inspection, she told me my house was too clean so she'd have to be sure to make an unannounced visit sometime in the future. I understand what your licensor and my licensor were getting at but... It definitely made me feel as though she was out to "get" me vs. out to support me. It's unfortunate that some licensors feel they have to create that kind of relationship with the providers they oversee. Now that you've complained, I hope things change for the better. If nothing else, she'll at least know you won't sit back and take her unacceptable behavior.
Josiegirl 02:39 AM 08-03-2016
Sounds like her job change from provider to licensor makes her feel like she's the one in control now and she has something to pay back for. KWIM?
Being a former provider you'd think she'd be more understanding. I'm glad you went to her supervisor and let her behavior be known. Good luck!
284878 06:17 AM 08-03-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I'm sorry she treated you the way she did. She should have gone to your house as scheduled or she should have called to cancel if something unexpected came up. Her behavior in this situation has been just plain rude.

The last time I renewed my license, the licensor made an announced visit so of course I made sure the house was clean. Who wouldn't clean their house if they knew their licensor was coming?! Since the inspection also fell on what was my usual day off, I had only 1 child present instead of my usual 6 - so it was much easier to keep the house clean. During her inspection, she told me my house was too clean so she'd have to be sure to make an unannounced visit sometime in the future. I understand what your licensor and my licensor were getting at but... It definitely made me feel as though she was out to "get" me vs. out to support me. It's unfortunate that some licensors feel they have to create that kind of relationship with the providers they oversee. Now that you've complained, I hope things change for the better. If nothing else, she'll at least know you won't sit back and take her unacceptable behavior.

I always default to apologizing when they arrive for the mess. I never have my house white glove clean but feel it is safe and tidy.
Meeko 08:14 AM 08-03-2016
NEVER feel bad about complaining when you have been treated badly. It is the only way things change.

She was rude. Plain and simple. You do NOT have to take it. She could have easily called you if she wasn't going to make it.

Here in Utah, we get one announced and one un-announced inspection per year. I have never had an announced inspection when they don't show up or let me know.

One year, I got a call from the licensing office to let me know my licensor's son had been in an accident and she was at the hospital. I honestly would of understood if I hadn't been notified, being that it was an emergency. But despite the situation, she STILL made sure that the office called to cancel her appointments. There is no good reason your licensor couldn't be as polite.
Heart12 09:48 AM 08-03-2016
UPDATE:

Licensor CALLED ME this morning to cancel the inspection. While I seriously just want this over with, I am happy that she at least called. I was changing a baby when she rang, so she left a voicemail which was suuuuuper nice! She apologized for missing the appointment today & sort of over explained the reason why. Her boss is on vacation & said that he would look into it next week, but Im wondering if he FWD the email to her? Im glad I kept the email factual & tried really hard not to sound angry or emotional. Thanks for all of the support!!
Annalee 09:53 AM 08-03-2016
UPDATE:

Licensor CALLED ME this morning to cancel the inspection. While I seriously just want this over with, I am happy that she at least called. I was changing a baby when she rang, so she left a voicemail which was suuuuuper nice! She apologized for missing the appointment today & sort of over explained the reason why. Her boss is on vacation & said that he would look into it next week, but Im wondering if he FWD the email to her? Im glad I kept the email factual & tried really hard not to sound angry or emotional. Thanks for all of the support!!
You can never go wrong when just stating the facts and not allowing emotions to take over. Good luck !
e.j. 12:25 PM 08-03-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
I always default to apologizing when they arrive for the mess. I never have my house white glove clean but feel it is safe and tidy.
Same here most days. The house did look great the day of her visit, if I do say so myself! Had it been an unannounced visit on a day I had 5 kids and an infant, she might have seen all the mess she was looking for and she probably would have been threatening another visit for a totally different reason! I try to keep my house clean and sanitary but there are days when it looks as though a tornado ripped through it 5 minutes after the first kid walks in the door. I just don't understand the need to catch you having a "bad house day". I'm far more motivated by the licensor who supports me and gives me a pat on the back for a job well done vs. the one who isn't satisfied until she can find something to write me up for.
Tags:inspection, inspector, licensor
Reply Up