Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Elf on the Shelf?
Justjoy 08:25 AM 11-05-2017
I'm thinking of doing this starting Dec 1st. I have never done this before and I'd love some input as to how well it works with the kids. Are they interested? Indifferent? Love it?
Michael 12:13 PM 11-05-2017
Previous Elf on the Shelf threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...f+on+the+shelf
Meeko 01:52 PM 11-05-2017
My kids LOVE it! We have done it for a number of years now.

We read the book right after Thanksgiving and talk about it. Our elf is called Flick. We watch the Elf on the Shelf video too, color Elf on the Shelf pictures...

Then starting December 1st, the kids arrive every day so excited to see where Flick will be... I have caught them talking to him when nobody else is around, which is magical in itself. I LOVE Christmas and go all out on decorating etc. I have no interest in doing much on other holidays, but Christmas is my happy place and I love it.
The Elf on the Shelf is another layer of magic I enjoy along with the kids.
It's a love or hate thing with people. I love it!

One thing I don't do is have the elf doing "naughty" things as some do. To me...the whole point is to have the kids believe Flick is watching them, making sure they are being good and reporting to Santa. I personally think it defeats the object to have HIM being naughty.
Josiegirl 01:54 PM 11-05-2017
Originally Posted by Justjoy:
I'm thinking of doing this starting Dec 1st. I have never done this before and I'd love some input as to how well it works with the kids. Are they interested? Indifferent? Love it?
One of my dcms gave it to my dc years ago and I'm hoping this will be the year I can get away with not doing it. It's kind of fun(or was in the beginning) but it doesn't make a difference in the kids' behavior, I tend to forget about changing the elf a lot more than I used to, I have enough stress in my life without thinking about what to do with the elf for the next day. And if that naughty elf makes a disastrous mess in the house the night before, who do you think has to clean it up?? And then if some one touches it you have to sprinkle it with cinnamon or else the poor jolly little thing can't fly to the North Pole that night to rat on all the kids who were beasts that day. I swear the kids like to test the elf's abilities and call its' bluff as much as they do with me. And of course everybody HAS to be first to find the elf in the morning and if they're not, they won't let anyone else hunt for it either. My 13 mo is going through enough of a stranger crisis right now, I sure don't want to add another whole dimension to her terrors and have to get rid of all my dolls and stuffed animals. Then you have to keep up with the story for a month. A MONTH?? Knowing my luck, one of the dcfs will put a bug in my elf and I'll be out of a job before Christmas is even here because of all the threats of telling Santa about them and they won't get any presents.

I'm kidding, after listening to a little Rudolph and Frosty the Snowman I'm sure I'll be searching through all my closets for our elf again. It's fun. And sometimes our elf brings the kiddos a new book for our collection.

If they're good.
racemom 03:06 PM 11-05-2017
I did the kindness elves last year. Didn't use the real elves, bought a boy and girl ornament at target. But there are things you can print off for ideas on the internet. It is about showing kindness to others. I like it better than the elf on shelf. The bring crafts and supplies, treats to share with other classes, coloring pages, all kinds of fun things. And they say what great friends we are to them and each other. Google them if you are interested. I want to order the real set, but was to late last year to get them in time.
DaveA 03:26 AM 11-06-2017
I'm really not a fan of the whole elf on the shelf thing. I find it a bit creepy more than cute. I wouldn't do it with DCKs. I keep threatening to do an inappropriate version just at my house. DW shoots that idea down everytime.
Cat Herder 04:28 AM 11-06-2017
I don't like the creepy little tattle tale.

I really think it should be something for the parents to enjoy if they want to. I do love the social media posts the parents post of all the pranks the "little !@#$%" does at their house. Those are priceless.
LysesKids 06:41 AM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by Justjoy:
Hell No lol. My own DD has done it for years with my Grands; she can keep it
Miss A 07:16 AM 11-06-2017
Nope, no way will I ever do Elf on the Shelf, even with my own DS. I don't like the idea of it, I don't like the added work to an already busy time of year. There are so many other magical aspects of the season, we choose to focus on those.
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 11-06-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
I'm really not a fan of the whole elf on the shelf thing. I find it a bit creepy more than cute. I wouldn't do it with DCKs. I keep threatening to do an inappropriate version just at my house. DW shoots that idea down everytime.
I "thought" it would be a fun activity with the kids but it doesn't really do anything but add to my list of things to do and like a previous poster said, I kept forgetting.

If you really want to do it and do it well you really do have to do your homework (for creative ideas) and be on top of things...I have hard enough time remembering where I set my stapler after using it only 5 minutes ago so I just can't get in the routine of participating in this.

Oh well... less stress for me.

The kids probably don't notice anyways...they just want Christmas!
mommyneedsadayoff 07:45 AM 11-06-2017
I do it for my own my kids and they love it. I only do it about ten days before Christmas Day. The first time, I started right after Thanksgiving and it was just too long. Little kids don't have a great concept of time, so doing it right before means I can answer the question of "Is it almost Christmas?!" with a very excited Yes! I also have changed the story a bit and say that our elf, "Eddie", comes to make an assessment for Santa. Where will he enter, what time do they go to bed, where is the tree at in the home, does the family seem to be excited for Christmas and for Santa to come? On a side note, this actually gets them excited to go to bed for a week or so, since then Eddie will let Santa know they don't stay up late so hopefully he will come sooner. It is just kind of a fun addition to our family traditions, but just a tip...it is much easier to remember and keep up with if you start a little closer to Christmas. And check out pinterest for a lot of ideas to stage your elf too.
CeriBear 07:49 AM 11-06-2017
I don’t care for the Elf on the Shelf thing. I’ve always thought the idea of hiding the elf and telling the kids he is watching them and reporting back to Santa is rather creepy. I think the plush elf that is sold separately is a lot cuter than the one with the plastic face though. The plastic one has a creepy face and eyes that seem to be following you.
Justjoy 08:02 AM 11-08-2017
Thank you all for your input. I just sent a note home yesterday asking parents their feelings about it. Waiting for their responses. I would really like to try it, and just see for myself if it'll be a good experience. I do not plan on doing the "naughty" elf thing.
MarinaVanessa 08:33 AM 11-08-2017
We do it, my kids love it and the DCK's love it. Our elf does a few naughty things but I purposely use those naughty things as an example of what not to do/what to do. For example the elf might serve himself a bowl of cereal but may make a mess so the kids and I talk about leaving a mess and will tidy it up together. Most times I just hide the elf in silly places or positions. Last year I tied a balloon to a pair of my son's underwear and our elf went for a balloon ride in the kitchen, it was super cute to see the kids think it was super funny. I may do that again this year.
flying_babyb 04:35 PM 11-09-2017
Forget elf on a shelf, We have bongo on a boat. Year round! Bongo (the beanie baby monkey) watches the kids ALL YEAR and reports to santa/ the boss/mommy and daddy ect. Most of the kids loved it. I would say "when I dont see you, bongo does." worked like a charm, also used it to prevent tattling. They would tell bongo (who was usually sitting near me) so if it was truly important I would know.
Tags:christmas activities, elf on the shelf
Reply Up