Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Still Irritated
lovemykidstoo 06:30 AM 03-10-2018
I have a family that their little boy (3) comes 3 days a week. I've written before about him and how when I even mention lunch he gags. Says he's hungry but then sits at the table gagging, crying etc. Well, now they want to start potty training. I take him in there, he cries. They say he goes fine at home "if" they take him in there. He does not tell them. I said hell no, if he is crying every time I am not doing this. Then my hours are 7:30 to 5:30. Mom works retail so she drops off anywhere from 8:00 to 10:30 and he is picked up by dad, who works about 20 minutes away, but continues to waltz in at 5:25/5:30 each time. Of course Fridays are always the day he walks through the door at 5:30 on the nose. I mean, everyone else is gone by 5:00. I get he has to work until 5:00, but get your kid and go. He wants to chat last night. Him: Oh do you have big plans this weekend? Me: nope. Him: no big plans? me: nope. ugh just fricken go it's been a 10 hour day and I ate cheeze its for lunch because noone slept at the same time today. I probably came off super bitchy but Jesus it's 5:30 on a Friday look around, do you see any other kids? Go home!
Unregistered 12:26 PM 03-10-2018
I cannot stand lingering parents at drop off and or pick up. Drop off your kid quickly and leave. Pick your kid up quickly and get out. Why are people so dense? We have our own lives. Get your child and LEAVE.
Meeko 12:35 PM 03-10-2018
At 5:20, make sure child is ready to go. Have your car keys in hand and act as if you are ready to leave. Or have your husband yell for you...or something to get the message across that you are on YOUR time now. If hints don't work, you may just have to tell him that children need to be GONE by 5:30 as you have a life.
lovemykidstoo 08:28 PM 03-10-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I cannot stand lingering parents at drop off and or pick up. Drop off your kid quickly and leave. Pick your kid up quickly and get out. Why are people so dense? We have our own lives. Get your child and LEAVE.
It drives me nuts too. Especially when he knows he's the only one here and it's 5:30!!!! go home! Then I have another mom that drops off exactly at 7:30 and talks for 5 to 10 minutes. Go to work!!!!
lovemykidstoo 08:29 PM 03-10-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
At 5:20, make sure child is ready to go. Have your car keys in hand and act as if you are ready to leave. Or have your husband yell for you...or something to get the message across that you are on YOUR time now. If hints don't work, you may just have to tell him that children need to be GONE by 5:30 as you have a life.
Usually that's not even a fib, I do have errands to run almost every night. So many times I actually beat him out of the driveway as he gets junior in his carseat. He still doesn't get it.
boy_mom 10:03 AM 03-11-2018
Just be direct - Dad, I close at 5:30, anyone still in attendance will be charged a late fee. If you arrive at 5:30, I will meet you at the door with Johnny. As you can imagine, I've had a long work day!

Or send home a notice reminding parents drop off and pick ups are not a socialization time and should be no longer than 2-3 minutes to assist their child with coats, etc. Late fees will be applied to any family who is still at the daycare after closing time.

Especially if you are using a daily sheet or app for how the child's day went, you can tell them to reference info there. You can also change the pick up routine, and really don't allow parents past the door. If possibly.meet them right at the door and say Johnny had a great day, see you tomorrow!
lovemykidstoo 05:00 AM 03-12-2018
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
Just be direct - Dad, I close at 5:30, anyone still in attendance will be charged a late fee. If you arrive at 5:30, I will meet you at the door with Johnny. As you can imagine, I've had a long work day!

Or send home a notice reminding parents drop off and pick ups are not a socialization time and should be no longer than 2-3 minutes to assist their child with coats, etc. Late fees will be applied to any family who is still at the daycare after closing time.

Especially if you are using a daily sheet or app for how the child's day went, you can tell them to reference info there. You can also change the pick up routine, and really don't allow parents past the door. If possibly.meet them right at the door and say Johnny had a great day, see you tomorrow!
Thank you for the advice. I do have him 100% ready with coat/shoes etc. he has been known to give dad a hard time at pickup before where dad tries to help him put his coat on and he squirms away and wants to do it himself etc. So now that's all done already. It's funny because he comes 3 days a week and typically the other 2 days he's here by 5:20, but Fridays always are 5:30 on the nose. He comes today, I"m going to really pay attention to how early he gets here.
Snowmom 06:45 AM 03-12-2018
The potty training thing: Along with all the readiness requirements, I flat out say I will not force a child to use the toilet. I will ask and encourage, but if a child refuses, then they are not ready to train at daycare.
daycarediva 10:01 AM 03-12-2018
I tell parents flat out "Any big weekend plans?" "Not changing diapers!" have a good weekend! and I literally walk into the dc bathroom to start my trash routine.

lovemykidstoo 11:10 AM 03-12-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
The potty training thing: Along with all the readiness requirements, I flat out say I will not force a child to use the toilet. I will ask and encourage, but if a child refuses, then they are not ready to train at daycare.
Bingo!!! I did tell her I wouldn't force him. If he's crying, then I'm not putting him or me through that.
lovemykidstoo 11:11 AM 03-12-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I tell parents flat out "Any big weekend plans?" "Not changing diapers!" have a good weekend! and I literally walk into the dc bathroom to start my trash routine.

Good one hahahaha
Indoorvoice 12:23 PM 03-12-2018
I start my vacuum! I say "have a great night!" very sweetly and then turn it on as I'm I'm waving goodbye. Rude? Probably, but I got stuff to do!
lovemykidstoo 07:33 AM 03-13-2018
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I start my vacuum! I say "have a great night!" very sweetly and then turn it on as I'm I'm waving goodbye. Rude? Probably, but I got stuff to do!
Perfect!

As I suspected and is his MO, he came at 5:20 last night. He's here today too, we'll see what time he comes. Why doesn't he come at that time on Fridays? Every Friday it's 5:30 on the nose.
hwichlaz 07:37 AM 03-13-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Perfect!

As I suspected and is his MO, he came at 5:20 last night. He's here today too, we'll see what time he comes. Why doesn't he come at that time on Fridays? Every Friday it's 5:30 on the nose.
Could he have end of week stuff he has to do at work that keeps him a bit longer? Still not an excuse to linger though.
Tags:lingering parents - at drop off
Reply Up