Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Minnesota Losing Childcare Providers at an Alarming Rate
Country Kids 04:35 PM 04-16-2018
BC, not sure if you have seen this but pretty interesting.

Since 2013 Minnesota has lost 380 Center based Providers and 6,474 Family Child Care Providers

Providers are being written up for plungers in the bathroom, shampoo in the shower (no, no in my state), not enough play doh or musical instruments available.

Wow, wow and wow but I think we are going to see this as the norm across America sooner than later.

Shared to a local childcare fb group from The Joy Initiative MN.
Unregistered 07:06 AM 04-17-2018
Yes. I have read that a lot of providers believe it is due to the government wanting more government run childcare centers and to do away with home daycares. I really hope that is not the case.
Blackcat31 07:24 AM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
BC, not sure if you have seen this but pretty interesting.

Since 2013 Minnesota has lost 380 Center based Providers and 6,474 Family Child Care Providers

Providers are being written up for plungers in the bathroom, shampoo in the shower (no, no in my state), not enough play doh or musical instruments available.

Wow, wow and wow but I think we are going to see this as the norm across America sooner than later.

Shared to a local childcare fb group from The Joy Initiative MN.
Yeah....it's the same info they've been spreading around for a while now.

Sadly the state can't "fix" the issue until they start acknowledging what the issue is.

I know many providers that have infant openings but they won't take an infant. Some due to regulations and some due to the current "trend" in parenting.

In my county there are 96 licensed providers. LESS than half of those providers are at capacity so there ARE plenty of openings in my area and I am in rural MN.

I won't take an infant. IF the situation is right and the family is already a currently enrolled family I *might* consider it but 99% of the time when asked or if someone calls looking my response is "Sorry. nope."

Is the state trying to put family child care providers out of business? I believe so. For MANY reasons. Mostly $$$.

I've been spouting off for over a decade in regards to this fundamental change/shift in child care over all. I just keep telling everyone that's interested...10 years from now, child care as we know it today will be non-existent.
Country Kids 07:56 AM 04-17-2018
I think it is nation wide they are trying to slowly phase out in home childcare.

A provider was saying when they were having a sanitation inspection, the guy was even saying he feels there has been a big shift and they are trying to make it to hard for in home childcare's. Sad when someone that has nothing to do with childcare can see that.

With the new rules coming into place for our state and how licensor's are becoming so that people fear them coming, I almost feel it is just best for the my family not to be here at all during business hours-sad.
Annalee 08:31 AM 04-17-2018
We had over 3000 when QRIS started in 2000 but now we have 614 FCC providers....and they wonder why????
Annalee 08:33 AM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yeah....it's the same info they've been spreading around for a while now.

Sadly the state can't "fix" the issue until they start acknowledging what the issue is.

I know many providers that have infant openings but they won't take an infant. Some due to regulations and some due to the current "trend" in parenting.

In my county there are 96 licensed providers. LESS than half of those providers are at capacity so there ARE plenty of openings in my area and I am in rural MN.

I won't take an infant. IF the situation is right and the family is already a currently enrolled family I *might* consider it but 99% of the time when asked or if someone calls looking my response is "Sorry. nope."

Is the state trying to put family child care providers out of business? I believe so. For MANY reasons. Mostly $$$.

I've been spouting off for over a decade in regards to this fundamental change/shift in child care over all. I just keep telling everyone that's interested...10 years from now, child care as we know it today will be non-existent.
You are spot on!!!!!!
Pestle 09:45 AM 04-17-2018
Ann Leckie wrote a novel, Provenance, set in the universe of her multiple-award-winning Imperial Radch trilogy.

The driving trauma of the narrator comes from her role as the foster child of an ambitious politician. On this world, nobody raises their own children. From birth, children are either swapped between powerful families as a sort of apprenticeship, or dumped in a public creche to be raised by the State. Public creche kids get frumpy uniforms, little or no stipend for their own spending, minimal access to the tech that is a way of life for everybody else, and narrow career options when they grow up. The children lucky enough to be fostered live with the constant threat of disownment if they don't live up to their foster parents' expectations. And the people of the other colonized worlds think this planet is nuts.

This thread made me think of that book for some reason.
Annalee 10:10 AM 04-17-2018
FCC is on a spiral trend downward! Morale is at an all time low for FCC providers.....many like myself, too old to move on elsewhere and can't financially make the salary made now, and I loathe even thinking about working for someone else. Through my 26 years and 18 with QRIS, sometimes someone comes along and it appears HELP is coming and providers begin to HOPE and BELIEVE change is coming but then the fires dwindle down and providers are once again left hanging. At the moment, I have an inkling of belief as I am afraid to let it go beyond the inkling, but the summer months will bring the big word on what is/will take place over the next three years for change. Hopefully, it will all be good, but that hope is dwindling!
Josiegirl 10:37 AM 04-17-2018
So with so many in-home dcs closing, are there some still operating, but under the radar? I know, through the local grapevine, that there are some here. What can the state do to you? I know it's playing with fire if something ever happened but I will admit, it's crossed my mind more than once. Another question, what would happen if all the in-home dcs just started refusing to follow all the states' nonsensical regulations? I cannot believe everybody would be shut down.
I have a hard time blindly following all the ridiculous bs they expect from us.
Annalee 10:44 AM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
So with so many in-home dcs closing, are there some still operating, but under the radar? I know, through the local grapevine, that there are some here. What can the state do to you? I know it's playing with fire if something ever happened but I will admit, it's crossed my mind more than once. Another question, what would happen if all the in-home dcs just started refusing to follow all the states' nonsensical regulations? I cannot believe everybody would be shut down.
Many are operating here without a license, some legal/some not. One of the new proposals is to go through certificate and food program persons that are taking care of children and requiring them to have a certain amount of training and monitoring even if they are operating legally unlicensed. That is the only avenues to find these providers under the radar. Here, a provider can be on food program even if they are not licensed and they can keep 4 unrelated and as many as they want related so you can imagine how that plays out.....many keep the same amount of kids as I am licensed for but count them as related. How do you check that? So, not sure how this proposal will benefit the state? The problem with change is when someone actually "listens" to providers, they need help all the way up the ladder but it too many times stalls somewhere.
Country Kids 11:52 AM 04-17-2018
There is a proposal here from what I have heard and I guess a letter showing the new proposed law that if you are caught doing illegal childcare is will be considered a felony.
lovemykidstoo 12:18 PM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
There is a proposal here from what I have heard and I guess a letter showing the new proposed law that if you are caught doing illegal childcare is will be considered a felony.
One of my friends has a daycare unlicensed and even transports. I keep telling her she is out of her mind. She is 1 accident away from disaster.
biglou 03:51 PM 04-17-2018
Interesting. In NY state, I seem to recall family based cc cares for around 63% of all kids (based on subsidy reporting). I wonder if all the state's are similarly represented. It certainly is not in parents interest to have this reduction since center based care is more costly and also not as generally available as communities get smaller. One additional point, all the new regulations are imposed on center based care as well although certain ones that impact the unigue home environment are relevant. Oh and something else about center based care in NY, I don't know if centers are shutting down I can say seats available seats are going down because of state funded UPK Programs. This results in fewer childcare seats in total and makes it competitive for parents to find seats. Another result, prices go up since parents needing care have no choice except for unlicensed care.

Maybe all you providers that do not take infants should reconsider. Of course price the service accordingly to make money. I have 6 infants and they pay more than toddlers and preschoolers. Harder work, yes. Empty seats in my facility, no. If someone says no to your rate for infants you lost nothing. I understand that state reimbursement is low and this is certainly not acceptable which is why we do not accept voucher or 3rd party payment from our first day. I can't believe any state mandates you must accept the subsidy kids.

If you believe your state is truly moving in this direction maybe you should gather your peers together and reach out and educate your local state representatives.

Big lou
Annalee 04:50 PM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by biglou:
Interesting. In NY state, I seem to recall family based cc cares for around 63% of all kids (based on subsidy reporting). I wonder if all the state's are similarly represented. It certainly is not in parents interest to have this reduction since center based care is more costly and also not as generally available as communities get smaller. One additional point, all the new regulations are imposed on center based care as well although certain ones that impact the unigue home environment are relevant. Oh and something else about center based care in NY, I don't know if centers are shutting down I can say seats available seats are going down because of state funded UPK Programs. This results in fewer childcare seats in total and makes it competitive for parents to find seats. Another result, prices go up since parents needing care have no choice except for unlicensed care.

Maybe all you providers that do not take infants should reconsider. Of course price the service accordingly to make money. I have 6 infants and they pay more than toddlers and preschoolers. Harder work, yes. Empty seats in my facility, no. If someone says no to your rate for infants you lost nothing. I understand that state reimbursement is low and this is certainly not acceptable which is why we do not accept voucher or 3rd party payment from our first day. I can't believe any state mandates you must accept the subsidy kids.

If you believe your state is truly moving in this direction maybe you should gather your peers together and reach out and educate your local state representatives.

Big lou
Been there, done that MANY TIMES! Child Care is on the low end of the totem pole when it comes to discussions.....so state leaders are for anything in the name of "education" without fully researching what they are voting on. Make sense?
Homebody 06:13 PM 04-17-2018
Here's an article I ran across a couple weeks ago. It was written several years ago, but its got me thinking what the government's real agenda is with all these regulations they are passing.

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...its_doors.html
Unregistered 07:47 PM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Ann Leckie wrote a novel, Provenance, set in the universe of her multiple-award-winning Imperial Radch trilogy.

The driving trauma of the narrator comes from her role as the foster child of an ambitious politician. On this world, nobody raises their own children. From birth, children are either swapped between powerful families as a sort of apprenticeship, or dumped in a public creche to be raised by the State. Public creche kids get frumpy uniforms, little or no stipend for their own spending, minimal access to the tech that is a way of life for everybody else, and narrow career options when they grow up. The children lucky enough to be fostered live with the constant threat of disownment if they don't live up to their foster parents' expectations. And the people of the other colonized worlds think this planet is nuts.

This thread made me think of that book for some reason.
Honestly, I'm just waiting for the day when a child is birthed and sent to a "school". In my area, HeadStart takes 6 week olds. It's not a government thing. Some money is made, but the parents don't want their kids around.
Josiegirl 01:45 AM 04-18-2018
The more I read, the sadder it makes me. What about all the parents who want their child in a small home dc as opposed to a large center, doing things with their child that they'd be doing if they were at home? What will their choices become? Put them in a center or stay out of the workforce until their child becomes school age? That's not a choice for some people.
Homebody, thanks for sharing that article. Sad as it is, it feels like that's the way the country is headed. And I believe it's the total opposite from where it should be.
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 04-18-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
Here's an article I ran across a couple weeks ago. It was written several years ago, but its got me thinking what the government's real agenda is with all these regulations they are passing.

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...its_doors.html
SPOT ON!!

In his State of the State address on January 11, 2005, former South Dakota Governor Mike Rounds said, "My final question is this: Could it be that the education establishment/child advocate crowd is scrambling to find a way to pump more taxpayer dollars into public education by sweeping preschool-age children into the state-funded school aid formula?" http://www.dakotavoice.com/200702/G/20070206_CF.html

What easier way to accomplish implementing and expanding a new schooling system than to give parents no other option?

It IS about money and anyone who thinks differently hasn't really been paying attention to what's been slowly happening across the country right under our noses.

The entire idea that children under age 5 NEED academics is silly and yet, parents buy it hook, line and sinker.

But then again, people will buy anything if it's presented to them the right way.

Marketing IS everything and if you word/phrase/twist something just right, you can basically sell anything to anyone.

The carrot on a string is the word FREE.
Most parents have a hard time seeing beyond that.

Even if they know when they really think about it, nothing is ever truly free.
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 04-18-2018
The more I read, the sadder it makes me. What about all the parents who want their child in a small home dc as opposed to a large center, doing things with their child that they'd be doing if they were at home? What will their choices become? Put them in a center or stay out of the workforce until their child becomes school age? That's not a choice for some people.
Homebody, thanks for sharing that article. Sad as it is, it feels like that's the way the country is headed. And I believe it's the total opposite from where it should be.
I agree that there are parents that do want that type of environment but if the alternate option is free, most parents will take it.

It's a rare parent willing to pay for something better, higher quality verses "good enough" that is free. We see it everyday when good parents opt for illegal care providers vs legal programs because of the cost difference.
Annalee 08:51 AM 04-18-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
SPOT ON!!

In his State of the State address on January 11, 2005, former South Dakota Governor Mike Rounds said, "My final question is this: Could it be that the education establishment/child advocate crowd is scrambling to find a way to pump more taxpayer dollars into public education by sweeping preschool-age children into the state-funded school aid formula?" http://www.dakotavoice.com/200702/G/20070206_CF.html

What easier way to accomplish implementing and expanding a new schooling system than to give parents no other option?

It IS about money and anyone who thinks differently hasn't really been paying attention to what's been slowly happening across the country right under our noses.

The entire idea that children under age 5 NEED academics is silly and yet, parents buy it hook, line and sinker.

But then again, people will buy anything if it's presented to them the right way.

Marketing IS everything and if you word/phrase/twist something just right, you can basically sell anything to anyone.

The carrot on a string is the word FREE.
Most parents have a hard time seeing beyond that.

Even if they know when they really think about it, nothing is ever truly free.
Yep, Yep and Yep.....not that I agree but this IS what is happening!
Tags:daycare environment, minnesota, the joy initiative
Reply Up