Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>You Got A Star For What???
Mary Poppins 08:18 PM 01-30-2012
So today one of my dcb's brought in a big gold star from school. He was so proud of it! Naturally, I asked him what he did to earn it and his response was "I didn't chew on the headphone cords at the listening station!".

UM OK THEN!!

I'm thinking of adding a "quote of the week" to my monthly newsletters to share gems like this with the parents.
Bookworm 09:09 PM 01-30-2012
To paraphrase Chris Rock, "You don't get credit for the stuff you're supposed to do".
melskids 04:18 AM 01-31-2012
Too funny!

I had a child once zip his own coat, look right at me and say "aren't you gonna clap?"

uh.....you're 4 1/2. You zipped your coat. I'm not gonna clap unless you did it with your eyes closed and your hands tied behind your back.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
Too funny!

I had a child once zip his own coat, look right at me and say "aren't you gonna clap?"

uh.....you're 4 1/2. You zipped your coat. I'm not gonna clap unless you did it with your eyes closed and your hands tied behind your back.
Oh my!! That one made me spit my coffee out!!
tbutler 07:32 AM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
To paraphrase Chris Rock, "You don't get credit for the stuff you're supposed to do".

tbutler 07:33 AM 01-31-2012
Too funny!

Country Kids 07:38 AM 01-31-2012
I have one that when they do something good will actually say-"Say good job *******"! It took me a few times after hearing it that this child was telling me to say good job for whatever they had just done.

I think someone actually get a little to much praise outside of childcare.
Sunchimes 07:52 AM 01-31-2012
We clap here-we clap a lot. I started doing it when dcg#1 wanted a toy and rolled over and over until she reached it. It's grown from there. But, none of my kids look to me for clapping. When one of them does something, like build a tower, they clap for themselves. They look at me to see if I'm clapping too, but they clap for themselves first. Sometimes I'm clapping, sometimes I just say "Wow, you put 3 blocks on there" and sometimes, I have no idea what they are clapping about so I just smile. The important part is that they know they have done something special. I'd like to see them start clapping for each other.
mac60 08:58 AM 01-31-2012
I have a dad that as they walk up onto the porch and open the door and come in that he will say "GOOD JOB", no less than 3/4 times, just because the 2 and 4 yr old walked up the 1 step and into the door. Really. Since when do we have to praise a child for doing everyday things that are a part of learning and growing up and maturing....I am all for praise, but not for every little thing a kid does, like walking.
Checkinkids.com 09:00 AM 01-31-2012
Too funny!

Hilarious!!!!
Mary Poppins 09:15 AM 01-31-2012
Too funny!

Love it!!
Ariana 09:16 AM 01-31-2012
Yeah this is precisely what's wrong with kids today!!!
Mary Poppins 09:18 AM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
I am all for praise, but not for every little thing a kid does, like walking.

Totally agree!
Heidi 10:53 AM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Yeah this is precisely what's wrong with kids today!!!
yep, they are each the center of the universe!
Tags:positive praise, rewarding
Reply Up