Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Meeting With Current Dcp-How To Handle It?
newtodaycare22 10:57 AM 10-10-2012
One of my current dcp asked to come over and talk tonight. It's a long story, but I am 90% sure it's about a health condition that has recently developed with mom. I would think that 'asking to talk' meant they were pulling their kid, but they recently changed him from part to full time and they seem very happy with things. I'm pretty sure it's the health issue that they want to discuss, to make me aware of things.

Anyway, mom and dad are coming over (alone) to "talk about something." How would you approach this. Should I invite them to sit on the couch? At the kitchen table? Usually I do meetings in my daycare room but that's when the kids are playing and we are standing around discussing the specifics of my problem. There's no adult size furniture in there.

Also, how do I show my concern without getting too personal? I'm pretty sure it's something serious, based on the little bit that I know.

thanks for opinions.
Heidi 11:09 AM 10-10-2012
I'd invite them into whatever room is most comfortable and/or closest to the door.
I'd also offer them coffee/etc.

As far as what to say...gosh..."I'm so sorry you are going through this. Let me know what I can do to help". That's about all I've got.

Also, how much as we telling the kids? Wording?
littlemissmuffet 11:45 AM 10-10-2012
I do all parent meetings sans kids at our dining room table. It's not too formal and not too informal... if that makes sense.

I have a DCP who has been in the hospital with medical issues for the last few months. In the beginning, I obviously showed concern and let the whole family know if there is anything I could do to help, make things easier to please not hesitate to ask (can't guarantee anything, but asking never hurts). I continue to check in every few days, asking the other DCP how things are and I email the sick DCP updates, photos and ask how things are to help keep everyone in the loop.

The child knows that DCP is sick and in the hopsital, but we all stay very positive when talking about it. DCK goes and visits at the hospital almost everyday. DCK is 2.5 and talks about DCP quite a bit, so it's not something we try and hide or are dishonest about.

Good luck.
lovemykidstoo 12:02 PM 10-10-2012
My thoughts are with that family. I hope that it's not anytiing too serious. I would probably make them comfortable in the living area on the couch. If it is something very serious, it would seem somewhat impersonal to be sitting at the dining table. Good luck.
jojosmommy 12:14 PM 10-10-2012
I would sit in the living room. In my house its the most comfortable place, not too formal.

Maybe they are going to ask specifics of you too, or share what their needs will be etc. Here we have some circumstances where a parent can get financial help for respite care when someone has medical needs. Maybe they want to address that type of stuff with you.

Good luck!
Reply Up