Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice For 3 Year Old Whining/Crying
newtodaycare22 09:50 AM 08-31-2012
I've had a dcg for about 3 weeks now. She turned 3 in April. Very articulate and she can obviously express herself with an extensive vocabulary. However, she has tantrum fits like that of a 1/2 year old. She whines and screams/crys over little things and I've been implementing the same thing mom and dad do at home. When she starts her whining voice or having a fit, she goes in the corner. Generally, within 30 seconds she stops, comes out, and says "I'm done." It's so dramatic and forced that it's ridiculous and I'm glad the parents don't give her the attention over it.

Today, we went to the library. She ran down the aisle (we discussed all of the rules before we went, including walking, and she's been there many times with her family). I gave her 1 warning about running. The next time I saw her running, I made her sit down next to me in a chair. She was LIVID. She didn't even start with the regular whining, it went right to screaming/crying. Right there in the middle of the library. Lovely right? Ugh. I take kids to the library all of the time and I've never had any kids scream like this, especially a child of this age.

When the screaming went on for 5 minutes and didn't stop, I put her in the bathroom. I should've done the corner thing, but I was out of routine being outside of the home. Maybe that would've done it. But, once she was in the bathroom, I told her she can come out while she was ready. I stood right outside the door and she was not locked in there-heck, I didn't even latch the door. But you should've seen the looks I got! I guess it was the bathroom component of it but I wasn't letting her scream like that and it was the only separate area of the library. I know her mom would say "good!" about what I did, but oh man the people at the library. lol Oh well, as soon as I opened the door (about 30 seconds later) she stopped the tears and said, "I'm done." Ugh-so insane!

Anyway, any advice on how to curb these behaviors further?
daycarediva 10:28 AM 08-31-2012
Dcb does this alllll the time (especially when he has had a longish break away from here) I put him in the cry spot (what it sounds like your corner is) and it stops and he comes out within a minute. That was 1-10x a day. I was over it. I offered him a sticker for every part of our day that he didn't do this for. We also talked about how it was not an ok thing to do (scream) and how if he gets upset, before screaming, he can go to the comfy couch to calm down and take a break. He has put himself on the comfy couch (and gotten a cuddle and praise) several times a day AND 3/5 days have been NO SCREAMING days (so far) this week! WOOHOO!
Reply Up