Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those Who Have Art Centers
countrymom 05:21 AM 02-15-2011
how do they work for you. I have a 3 drawer bin, nothing big. What should I put in it. Do you put scissors in it, paint, crayons. Do the kids make a big mess. Do they color other things. Do you find that they waste alot. What about age groups.

I'm asking because I'm thinking of doing this. I have some older kids who always want to do art (I do one "art" project a day) but they want to color all the time, and its a pain to constantly get the things out for them. I have a 7 foot art cupboard, so I have lots of stuff, I just don't allow them in it because its very full.
ammama 05:27 AM 02-15-2011
I have a table set up with crayons and paper that I keep stocked. I originally put out a whole bunch of little google eyes type stuff etc and glue, but they NEVER put the little pieces away, and I got sick of sweeping up all the collage-y stuff. I would probably put scissors out if it was legal here, but it's required that I keep them locked up, but the kids know that they can just ask for for scissors if they want them. I might try putting the collage type stuff back and see what happens.

I do have one dcg3 who is on probation for the colouring table, as she coloured all over my chalkboard last week, and there are a couple of crayon marks on the wall of the playroom that I attribute to her as well.
boysx5 05:51 AM 02-15-2011
I want to have an art section but with a 19 month old and a 11 month old I can't have it around with them. I was thinking of putting in on the other side of my gate for the older ones I just bought and easel and want to use it.
countrymom 06:04 AM 02-15-2011
i'm himming whether or not to get an easle, our zellers (its like target) sells a small one and its easy to put away. I'll see, I think the kids would use it, its small and only has one side. I need more tables too.
SilverSabre25 06:09 AM 02-15-2011
I have an art center, but it's not free-reign for the kids to use. They have to ask or I suggest it sometimes or plan a certain activity. I want to get to the place where my kiddos can have free access to at least some of the materials, but they're not in a place yet where we can do that. My 3yo can, with some materials, and the 2.75 and 2 yos are still learning important things about using art materials...like coloring only on paper, only on YOUR paper, don't eat the crayons or markers, art materials stay AT the table, and don't destroy someone else's work. Once all that training is done...we might be able to have some free-access art stuff!
SunflowerMama 08:16 AM 02-15-2011
This is what I've come up with since receiving some great suggestions on here after I posted about my space.

It's worked great so far today. I have one 19 month old (hence the gate) and everyone else is 3+.

I also have these super cool chalkboard labels coming from Etsy to label all the mason jars and containers.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/65718974..._type=handmade

WImom 09:04 AM 02-15-2011
sunflower mama - LOVE all those colors. I really need to get to ikea ones of these days (It's a 2 hour drive though). Did you get the art smocks there too?
kendallina 09:08 AM 02-15-2011
I always leave out:

crayons
markers
color pencils
pencils
paper (white and construction)
recyclable materials
glue sticks
pom poms and other stuff to glue

I sometimes leave out:

beading stuff
regular glue
stamps and stamp pads
tape
stapler
scissors

My playroom is all carpeted, so we only paint in the kitchen . I would love to have the paint available all the time, but we just can't. I'm considering buying some large area rugs for the playroom and then I would probably allow watercolor paints to be a choice.

My ages are all around 3 years old.

When I worked in a center we had everything out all the time. But, we also had easily wipe-able floors (and walls). If I had easily wipeable floors I would leave everything out all the time. And, yes, they do make a big mess.
MissAnn 09:35 AM 02-15-2011
At my house everything is in their reach. They get it out and put it away. I have one of those over the door hangy things for shoes.....do you know what I'm talking about? It has pockets. It even has watercolers and aprons. I have only 3-5 year olds though. Makes it much more do-able! I don't do any copy cat crafts (except a few for special Holidays).....they just make what they want. One girl today made Justin Bieber tickets! lol
MissAnn 09:36 AM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by :
I do have one dcg3 who is on probation.
OK....this made me laugh. I'll have to use this sometime. I usually say they have lost their privilege .....but probatation.....that's a fun one to use!
ninosqueridos 09:39 AM 02-15-2011
sunflowerMAMA I love your art setup - beautiful! That would be such an awesome little nook my dck's would love.....and the gate is perfect for the littlest of friends. Nice!

Now I'm off to think of how I can do something like that in my house....I have two 3yo that would be allowed "access"........I think the 2's are still too little for the freedom.
countrymom 09:45 AM 02-15-2011
sunflower mama--I'm so jealous of your space. I love it. Unfortuantely I can't do a big area, maybe I can, I need to rearrange some stuff. So I put stuff in a wheeling cart and omg, they attacked it like crazy. I like this art area idea, my stuff is being used and I'm not hording it.
melskids 09:54 AM 02-15-2011
sunflowermama.......LOVE IT!!!! the bookshelf fits great behind the door!!!!

art is my FAVORITE area. everything is out and accessible (including a sand & water table and easel) everyday. they are free to choose what to create, and when. like i said in previous posts, you have to take the TIME to teach them the proper way to handle the materials, and cleanup. its part of the learning process. (i have a 17 month old, 2~ 2 1/2 yr olds, a 4 yd old, and 3~ 8 yr olds.) the only one i put restrictions on is the 17 month old, because he still puts everything in his mouth. but when he wants to play there, i just stay close by. he is learning to use things properly and he has mastered sweeping up the sand now too.

the other day, the 4 yr old decided the baby dolls needed to play in the sand table, clothes and all. and she was moving sand from the table to a dishpan with all the play food. let me tell you what a mess she had!!! but she knows the rules, and spent an hour just to clean up and put everything back the way it belongs. when she was done, she said "next time, i dont think i will be putting the doll clothes in the sand." so i look at it this way...i allowed her to "experiment" without squashing her need to explore and be creative, she is fine tuning her self help skills, and she learned a GREAT lesson in cause and effect.
DBug 10:19 AM 02-15-2011
Having an art center intrigues me, but what do your dc parents think of all the stuff that comes home? I know that if they could, my dc kids would be creating, drawing and painting several projects every day, but I'm not sure my parents (or my bank account) would handle all of the extra take-home stuff every week.

I use Funshine Express, so one craft and one worksheet gets sent home everyday and even that is too much for some parents. The big girls (3 to 5 yrs) do have access to paper, crayons and markers and will produce pages and pages of pictures and stories. I put it on the fridge for a day or two but then I recycle it, since I know that's what the parents do too.

So what do you do with everything the kids make? Do you send it all home, and if so, what do the parents think?
WImom 10:26 AM 02-15-2011
Dbug - I've wondered that too. Mostly because my DD6 is in K5 this year and they must have an open art area because she comes home with alteast 10 sheets of paper a day. It's all very nice and I can tell she's using her imagination but she also wants to keep it all.

I think I'd go broke. I do offer crayons and coloring books and a few sheets of paper (I put more out each day). But that's all so far. This tread has me thinking though of putting more out.
countrymom 10:32 AM 02-15-2011
I send it all home, my own kids create enough stuff that I don't need other peoples stuff. (my odd's make bigger stuff, try putting that stuff up) I buy alot of art stuff, I love art and our schools don't really do art stuff anymore.
melskids 10:37 AM 02-15-2011
most of it gets hung in the playroom for decoration. about half gets sent home, and some gets chucked (just the scribbled unimportant ones)

i buy cheap paper in bulk, copy paper, beg the local newspaper place for end rolls, use old newspaper, save the paper they use to pack shipments in, use the insides of greeting cards, the back of gift wrap, bubble wrap, magazines, old envelopes, junk mail, ask parents for donations, cut up carboard boxes (especially cereal boxes), beg the local wallpaper place for end rolls and expired sample books to use the backs of, you name it.

sometimes they fingerpaint right on the table

also, if you have other choices available, they wont always go through just the paper. (i always have playdough or clay, and woodworking, beading, and weaving supplies out)
melskids 10:45 AM 02-15-2011
a good way to store your childs art stuff is to go to your local pizza shop and ask for a pizza box. bat your eyes and smile pretty, you'll get it for free

cover it in construction paper on the top and allow your child to decorate it. then cover it with clear contact paper. and voila....their own art portfolio. all of the sheets of paper fit in there so nicely, and the whole thing can slide under a bed.
SunflowerMama 10:47 AM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
a good way to store your childs art stuff is to go to your local pizza shop and ask for a pizza box. bat your eyes and smile pretty, you'll get it for free

cover it in construction paper on the top and allow your child to decorate it. then cover it with clear contact paper. and voila....their own art portfolio. all of the sheets of paper fit in there so nicely, and the whole thing can slide under a bed.
Another great idea from Melskids!!

I just send everything home with the kids. I did a survey a while back with parents and one of the comments was that they saw the kids doing cool art work in the blog pictures but not as much coming home. So now I just send it all home. The parents can choose what to keep and what to toss in the recycling bin.
ammama 11:51 AM 02-15-2011
I wish I had a bit more space. All of your comments have made me want to expand my art area a bit. Right now I only have my kids table (fits 3 children and their papers) with the crayons at it, which also converts to my water/sensory table when I pull the big bin out and put in on top. My main floor (daycare area) is only 550 sq feet, and we really don't leave this space often at all.

They also always have access to the giant 4 foot by 8 foot long chalkboard and chalk. Actually, this might be a good solution for some who really want to give the kids the ability to colour whenever they want, but have younger kids who eat/mark on the walls - my dck's (and kids) love the chalkboard, and chalk is so easy to clean off everything. All 6 kids can fit at once, and it is taller than they are (I have it right at floor level), so they can draw BIG.

I really can't fit another center area in my playroom, and my living room is off limits for kids art supplies (not that i have any room in there anyway).
daycare 12:32 PM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
This is what I've come up with since receiving some great suggestions on here after I posted about my space.

It's worked great so far today. I have one 19 month old (hence the gate) and everyone else is 3+.

I also have these super cool chalkboard labels coming from Etsy to label all the mason jars and containers.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/65718974..._type=handmade

sunflower mama---- wow that looks great and fun... only thing that I could see going wrong in that pic is that the suppies are in glass jars and it looks like you have wood floors.... I use the 2qt plastic yogurt buckets, no chance of glass breaking any where.

I do not set out my supplies, we have a set schedule in which we do a rotation of arts.
for one hour I set up 4 stations.

station 1... markers crayons and paper for drawing.

station 2... glue, paper, magazines, tape, stickers, sissors

station 3... clay and playdough with all the fun cookie cutter rollingpins, and etc

station 4... water colors, paint, paper, sponges, brushes, water bottles to spray, all paining supplies.

each child is allowed to be at a table for 15 min. we set the timer for 12 min to allow 3 min clean up, then switch. when the hour has passed, where ever the child is, they will need to clean that station. no station can have more than 2 children at a time and if they argue or fight they are forced to move tables....
momofthree 06:32 PM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
sunflower mama---- wow that looks great and fun... only thing that I could see going wrong in that pic is that the suppies are in glass jars and it looks like you have wood floors.... I use the 2qt plastic yogurt buckets, no chance of glass breaking any where.

I do not set out my supplies, we have a set schedule in which we do a rotation of arts.
for one hour I set up 4 stations.

station 1... markers crayons and paper for drawing.

station 2... glue, paper, magazines, tape, stickers, sissors

station 3... clay and playdough with all the fun cookie cutter rollingpins, and etc

station 4... water colors, paint, paper, sponges, brushes, water bottles to spray, all paining supplies.

each child is allowed to be at a table for 15 min. we set the timer for 12 min to allow 3 min clean up, then switch. when the hour has passed, where ever the child is, they will need to clean that station. no station can have more than 2 children at a time and if they argue or fight they are forced to move tables....
I like this idea.

Can you tell me how many kids you have and what ages they are?

As I have three 3 years old and rest under two so I am wondering how I can set this activity up for them
daycare 07:12 PM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by momofthree:
I like this idea.

Can you tell me how many kids you have and what ages they are?

As I have three 3 years old and rest under two so I am wondering how I can set this activity up for them
My kids are 19 month to age 4.75...
We do this rotation hour when 19mo old is sleeping
I have 6 kids everyday. We do this rotation right after pm snack..
While the kids are eating I set up. They do it from about 4-5 and then at 5 we clean everything up and get ready for going home

Most of my kids were 2 when we started it. I just changed some of the art activities like no scissors or anything dangerous for that age

I also do 30 mom in the morning of motor skills the same way in rotation stations.
Blocks at one. Legos at one, cardboard sewing, puzzles, wood board builders and etc.
Again same method and system.

You can also do water cups buckets at one station, burry toys in shallow bucket of sand, rice bowls with cups to pour. Or beans. Lol I could go on forever. Lol

So basically as you can see I love doing rotation stations. Set up however you would like
Tags:activities, art center, art supplies, arts, arts and crafts, crafts
Reply Up