Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Someone’s Input On This Situation!!!!
DaycareLady19 11:39 AM 08-01-2011
Well, I am a daycare assistant in a home daycare. The owner of the daycare had a baby and I have been running the daycare completely. Well when I started working here I was told in a few months I would be given a raise. Lets just say that didnt happen. Now that I have been running the daycare I am still making what I was making as an assistant. I am doing A LOT more. I don't get paid on time, I have to ASK for my money. The owners response sometimes is "I will get it soon", I have been tight on money, and etc. I have been with this daycare for over a year. I am extremely upset over this whole situation. It would be very upsetting having to leave the kids. Please someone I need an outsiders point of view!! Thanks.
cheerfuldom 11:45 AM 08-01-2011
you either quit or put up with it. sorry, no magic wand here. you should be getting paid on time in the very least. the owner has pushed your limits but you are letting her.
youretooloud 11:46 AM 08-01-2011
No ideas.... but, I feel for you. I worked at a daycare a long time ago, and it started like that, then the checks he wrote me started bouncing. I was spending a lot of time trying to find out if the check he wrote was good yet... sometimes, I'd have to hold a check for three weeks before he'd put the funds in.

Obviously I quit. I needed my money.

I understand that she's had a baby, and I totally get how baby brain really does take over. I could barely open my own mail for a year after I had a baby. But, that doesn't mean YOU have to pick up all the slack.

If you can't work this out with her, and you find a new job, I don't feel like you would need to give any notice, since she's not bothering to keep up with her end of the deal. You should NEVER have to ask to be paid. Ever. There is no excuse for mismanaging funds so badly that you can't pay your employees..... her employees should be paid before SHE pays herself.
TBird 11:55 AM 08-01-2011
I don't have any advice but if I were the owner, I'd pay YOU and take the financial hit myself. That responsibility falls under the position of "Owner". I guess you can wait it out if you think she'll get better but if you don't you may just have to move on.
Kaddidle Care 11:57 AM 08-01-2011
Tell her you'll be back in to work as soon as she pays you what she owes you and after the check clears. You have bills to pay as well and you shouldn't have to wait to be paid.

(Don't deposit it in your own account, go straight to the bank it was drawn on and cash it. That way there are no fees incurred should there not be sufficient funds in the account.)
SandeeAR 01:10 PM 08-01-2011
Time to look for a new job.
Childminder 01:14 PM 08-01-2011
Give her notice. She'll either pay up or you'll find a better job.
sharlan 01:21 PM 08-01-2011
Have you considered opening your own daycare?

Has she been paying your taxes, or does she pay you "under the table"?

I would agree with some of the others, let her know that you will be back when she pays you. You may want to start looking for another job because chances are she will fire you.
CheekyChick 02:33 PM 08-01-2011
I would tell her:

"I've worked here for a year and have taken on a great deal more responsibility than I had originally been hired to do. In all fairness, it's time to receive an increase in pay, as well as getting paid on a regular basis. If that can't happen, I will need to give my two week notice."

Oh, and DON'T tell her how much you would miss the children.
happykidschildcare 04:55 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Tell her you'll be back in to work as soon as she pays you what she owes you and after the check clears. You have bills to pay as well and you shouldn't have to wait to be paid.

(Don't deposit it in your own account, go straight to the bank it was drawn on and cash it. That way there are no fees incurred should there not be sufficient funds in the account.)
I have an assistant and Im pretty sure if I didnt pay her on friday she wouldnt show up the following monday. You really need to tell her its time to talk and sit down and tell her like it is. Tell her she has put alot on your shoulders and you would like a raise and your check on time or else your out.

And please take the check to her bank and cash it the day you get it!! that way you have your $
happykidschildcare 04:58 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
I have an assistant and Im pretty sure if I didnt pay her on friday she wouldnt show up the following monday. You really need to tell her its time to talk and sit down and tell her like it is. Tell her she has put alot on your shoulders and you would like a raise and your check on time or else your out.

And please take the check to her bank and cash it the day you get it!! that way you have your $
BTW I pay my assistant $10 per hour and she also does her fair share of work here, along with assisting with kids, she also cleans up the kitchen after meals and on really slow days when we have just a handful of kids I will actually have her strip down the nursery/ do all that laundry and mop all the floors. I think I pay her well, shes never complained. What do you all pay your assitants?
DaycareLady19 05:35 PM 08-01-2011
thank you all for your input!!! I get paid off the books so no taxes. I literally do so way more and deserve more then i am getting paid to do. It has just come to the breaking point for me. I feel like i am being completelty taken advantage of. I am way to nice and thats my problem. I have gone way beyoind what i was suppose to do, and it has just come down to the point that i most likely am going to leave. The only down fall is actually finding another job, no one is hiring. If you dont mind me asking I also am wondering how much you pay your assitants???
PitterPatter 09:12 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareLady19:
Well, I am a daycare assiant in a home daycare. The owner of the daycare had a baby and I have been running the daycare completely. Well when I started working here I was told in a few months I would be given a raise. Lets just say that didnt happen. Now that I have been running the daycare I am still making what I was making as an assistant. I am doing A LOT more. I don't get paid on time, I have to ASK for my money. The owners response sometimes is "I will get it soon", I have been tight on money, and etc. I have been with this daycare for over a year. I am extremely upset over this whole situation. It would be very upsetting having to leave the kids. Please someone I need an outsiders point of view!! Thanks.
I would sit her down and explain that u too need an income just as she does and u too depend on it to live just as she does. I would tell her if she can't pay u on a dependable schedule then u will have to seek employment elsewhere. I would also mention that u have been taking on more responsibilities and haven't asked for anything more just to be paid on time.
SimpleMom 05:57 AM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
you either quit or put up with it. sorry, no magic wand here. you should be getting paid on time in the very least. the owner has pushed your limits but you are letting her.
I agree with the above
logged out just in case 08:54 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
No ideas.... but, I feel for you. I worked at a daycare a long time ago, and it started like that, then the checks he wrote me started bouncing. I was spending a lot of time trying to find out if the check he wrote was good yet... sometimes, I'd have to hold a check for three weeks before he'd put the funds in.

I understand that she's had a baby, and I totally get how baby brain really does take over. I could barely open my own mail for a year after I had a baby. But, that doesn't mean YOU have to pick up all the slack.

If you can't work this out with her, and you find a new job, I don't feel like you would need to give any notice, since she's not bothering to keep up with her end of the deal. You should NEVER have to ask to be paid. Ever. There is no excuse for mismanaging funds so badly that you can't pay your employees..... her employees should be paid before SHE pays herself.
Originally Posted by youretooloud:

Is it not the owner's right to mess with the assistant's pay to save more money for themself (since they're the owner/boss)? When things get really tight for the owner (personal or daycare related), my hours go down. It's usually because of not budgeting or planning ahead correctly (or a parent pays ahead one week, and she's out that money the next since she already spent it). She'll know something is due at the end of the month, but waits until the week it's due to do anything about it. Then my hrs get cut that week so she can pay the bill. But any other time we get along really well, so I step lightly during those times, and enjoy working there the rest... But it is REALLY frustrating during the time I lose hrs so she can pay for something. As if I don't need the money Plus I kinda get the impresison she doesn't like my working for her because she has to pay me (that's what hurts). Sorry, I started venting...Good luck to you! I hope things work out. Let us know.
Tags:assistant, assistant vent
Reply Up