Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time 'Poopers'
Brooksie 09:45 AM 08-07-2013
If a dck poops during their nap, do you change them right away or wait until they wake up? I have a dcb (15mo) who is one of my short nappers and has to fall asleep in the book area and then I transfer him to his pnp after he falls asleep. Well he fell asleep and when I went to move him I noticed he pooped. I tried to change him as quietly and calmly and quickly as possible and when I laid him in his pnp he stayed awake. Hes STILL awake 45 minutes later. I'm about to scream. If this kid stays awake and never naps I will lose my mind. I really feel like I should have let him sleep in his dirty diaper because this is ridiculous.
NeedaVaca 09:57 AM 08-07-2013
I always change poopy diapers right away, I would be upset to find a red bottom after nap. Most of my kiddos have sensitive skin and they get a rash if they are not changed asap.
Brooksie 10:03 AM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I always change poopy diapers right away, I would be upset to find a red bottom after nap. Most of my kiddos have sensitive skin and they get a rash if they are not changed asap.
See that's how I feel too. I always change poopy diapers IMMEDIATELY. I hate red bottoms. But now nap time is almost over and this boy still hasn't fallen back to sleep. He's only 15mos and he only naps once a day. I can only imagine how the rest of his day is going to be.
Familycare71 10:12 AM 08-07-2013
Flame away... I do not wake kids to change their diaper- ever...
coolconfidentme 10:12 AM 08-07-2013
I have a nap time pooper too! I have learned wait on nap time & change him last. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.
nannyde 10:15 AM 08-07-2013
Change right away. I would never leave a kid in poopy diapers for a second longer than I had to.
Terre 10:16 AM 08-07-2013
i'm not going to flame you, but I think we need to ensure we are making choices on what is best for the child, not us.

If you think it's best for the child to get the nap in instead of having a clean diaper, then by all means let him / her snooze. Each child is unique and should be treated so.
mema 10:19 AM 08-07-2013
Change right away. It stinks when they don't go back to sleep. Does he do it often? I had a few years back that would go everyday about 30 min into nap and would scream the rest of the afternoon. We adjusted nap and after he went, then we changed and laid down.
Meyou 10:20 AM 08-07-2013
Any regular naptime poopers I've had seem to settle into a routine where they can be changed and go back to sleep after a few weeks. I would just be quiet, quick and make it a part of his nap routine.
daycarediva 10:21 AM 08-07-2013
I change them right away. I would have probably laid him back down in the book area to fall asleep and tried to rinse and repeat his normal naptime routine.
Brooksie 10:21 AM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
Change right away. It stinks when they don't go back to sleep. Does he do it often? I had a few years back that would go everyday about 30 min into nap and would scream the rest of the afternoon. We adjusted nap and after he went, then we changed and laid down.
He doesn't normally poop at nap time. Generally before lunch. But mommy let him sleep in a bit this morning so I'm sure he was off from that. (this is my kid that used to be dropped off between 9-930 just woken up, hungry, and refusing a nap). Now she brings him earlier and he's been doing good with falling asleep. He still only naps about an hour and 20-30 minutes but its better than it was before. Today he's only gotten 8 minutes... 8MINUTES. This is also my biter. So I'm really worried about what the afternoon has in store.
Familycare71 10:28 AM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by Terre:
i'm not going to flame you, but I think we need to ensure we are making choices on what is best for the child, not us.

If you think it's best for the child to get the nap in instead of having a clean diaper, then by all means let him / her snooze. Each child is unique and should be treated so.
I agree- if I had a child that got a rash or something I would. I have had a lot of nap poopers and they all do it in the middle to end of nap. If I woke them they would be awake and grumpy for the rest of the day- I don't think that's in their best interest.
They get changed immediately before and after nap.
mama2one 10:57 AM 08-07-2013
I have a 2 yo that is a pooper at nap time. I adjusted lunch time earlier by 15mins and nap time pushed back 15 mins seemed to work for me.
Angelsj 11:19 AM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
No flames here. No WAY on God's green earth would I wake a child to change a diaper. Actually, that is not true. If it were leaking out of the diaper onto the bed or up the kiddo's back, I would. But that would be the only time.
Shell 11:23 AM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Change right away. I would never leave a kid in poopy diapers for a second longer than I had to.

blandino 11:43 AM 08-07-2013
Honestly, I would never wake a child to change a poopy diaper. Today, I have 8 in diapers. Upon smelling a soiled diaper in the room, I would have no idea who was the culprit, and waking up everyone feeling their bottoms to check it, isn't going to happen. My babies and toddlers all have pnp's in the same area, and my big kids are all on mats in the same room, so distinguishing who "done it", would be a problem for me.

I do coat them with barrier cream before nap, so that hopefully their skin is protected. Everyone gets changed directly before nap, and red bottoms haven't been a problem thus far. I do have a 14 no old DCB who gets rashes very easily, but doesn't have BMs at nap very often, thankfully.
Play Care 11:52 AM 08-07-2013
Always change. My kids can't sleep through poop so it's not even a question
Heidi 12:08 PM 08-07-2013
It depends...

Normally, I'm going to be in the don't-wake camp, but mostly because I wouldn't know until I get them up anyway. There is very little interaction between myself and sleeping children here. My pnp/diaper kiddos all sleep in different bedrooms, and I don't generally open their doors until nap is over.

A really young infant, I do checks during nap, so assuming I could smell it, I'd change.

Weird, but over the years I've had a number of older infants and toddlers that specifically wait until nap time to poop. Some at the beginning, in which case, there's usually some signing or talking, and I have to go in an remind them "shhh...it's nap time". At that point, I would smell diaper, and would sneak them out and change them, then put them back to bed.

Some kids, however, seem to relax DURING sleep, and then poop. That's when I walk in to get them up and woahhhhh! stinky room. It's also then that I wish that no one had to sleep in MY bedroom. That's supposed to be our love cave....
Laurel 12:17 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
No flames here. No WAY on God's green earth would I wake a child to change a diaper. Actually, that is not true. If it were leaking out of the diaper onto the bed or up the kiddo's back, I would. But that would be the only time.

Laurel
DaisyMamma 12:42 PM 08-07-2013
Totally agree.
lflick 01:01 PM 08-07-2013
I have two little girls around the same age that are notorious for short naps.... they are almost always stinky (like whole room linger stink) when I go in there to say nap time type things..... well nap is almost non existent as is but it's like they play it to land on nap time lol so after changing they are wide awake and ready to rock when everyone else is quiet. Makes for a long day that's for sure!
Crystal 01:21 PM 08-07-2013
Saying "flame away" tells me that you KNOW it is WRONG to not immediately change a poopy diaper.

IMO....it is lazy, inconsiderate, and NEGLECTFUL to knowingly not change a child's diaper when you know there is feces in it. I don't care what time of day it is.
Crystal 01:24 PM 08-07-2013
As a parent, if I learned that my provider did not change my child's poopy diaper because she did not want to lose her sacred naptime break, I would pull immediately and report it to licensing.

Imagine YOUR child being left in a crappy diaper and getting a rash because the provider was to lazy to do what is in the best interest of the child's health.
blandino 01:46 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
As a parent, if I learned that my provider did not change my child's poopy diaper because she did not want to lose her sacred naptime break, I would pull immediately and report it to licensing.

Imagine YOUR child being left in a crappy diaper and getting a rash because the provider was to lazy to do what is in the best interest of the child's health.
I don't do it out of laziness. I hardly have all my infants asleep at nap time, so I don't get to have a rest that often. I think you can also consider other needs of the child, and that being woken from a dead sleep, most of whom would have trouble going back to sleep (at least mine would) and would probably wake the other children too because they are fussy and crying, so now everyone is short on sleep, which is equally unhealthy/undesirable as sitting in a poopy diaper.

I don't wake to change diapers, and I deal with very few diaper rashes. I apply a barrier cream at the diaper change that proceeds nap, and everyone comes out fine.

I have in the past had children who consistently have a BM while napping. I don't think it would have been fair to wake him and cut the sleep he needs short, to change him. I think his mother would be more upset at him being sleep deprived than sitting in a soiled diaper.
blandino 01:51 PM 08-07-2013
I could totally see not letting it go over night, hen the possibility exists for a child to sit in a soiled diaper for 7,8,9 hours.

But at naps, when most of my kids don't sleep longer than 2-2.5 hours, it doesn't seem imperative to me.
Familycare71 02:07 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I don't do it out of laziness. I hardly have all my infants asleep at nap time, so I don't get to have a rest that often. I think you can also consider other needs of the child, and that being woken from a dead sleep, most of whom would have trouble going back to sleep (at least mine would) and would probably wake the other children too because they are fussy and crying, so now everyone is short on sleep, which is equally unhealthy/undesirable as sitting in a poopy diaper.

I don't wake to change diapers, and I deal with very few diaper rashes. I apply a barrier cream at the diaper change that proceeds nap, and everyone comes out fine.

I have in the past had children who consistently have a BM while napping. I don't think it would have been fair to wake him and cut the sleep he needs short, to change him. I think his mother would be more upset at him being sleep deprived than sitting in a soiled diaper.

Familycare71 02:10 PM 08-07-2013
Saying "flame away" tells me that you KNOW it is WRONG to not immediately change a poopy diaper.

IMO....it is lazy, inconsiderate, and NEGLECTFUL to knowingly not change a child's diaper when you know there is feces in it. I don't care what time of day it is.
First time I've gotten such an angry reply on here! Bound to happen I suppose . I will respect that you disagree with me...
I will also say I don't appreciate your tone or that you are saying I am not a quality provider or don't have my dck best interests at heart! Someone already responded what I would have so ill save it BUT in the future be a big girl and use kind words with me- thanks!
Familycare71 02:11 PM 08-07-2013
I could totally see not letting it go over night, hen the possibility exists for a child to sit in a soiled diaper for 7,8,9 hours.

But at naps, when most of my kids don't sleep longer than 2-2.5 hours, it doesn't seem imperative to me.
Exactly!
Unregistered 02:12 PM 08-07-2013
Never! That's not being neglectful either.It's dark in the nap room and there are 12 children sleeping.I'm not going to go around waking everyone up ,checking diapers to see who pooped.
I've done daycare for 25 years and never had any child get a diaper rash.
Do you think parents go into their kids room every couple hours all night long,checking for poopy diapers? No,they let them sleep and change them in the morning!
Familycare71 02:15 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Never! That's not being neglectful either.It's dark in the nap room and there are 12 children sleeping.I'm not going to go around waking everyone up ,checking diapers to see who pooped.
Do you think parents go into their kids room every couple hours all night long,checking for poopy diapers? No,they let them sleep and change them in the morning!
Can you imagine!?! wake up- wake up... Did you poop?? No- oh ok go back to sleep! X12!?
nannyde 02:17 PM 08-07-2013

I would never allow a kid to have poop on their butt when I know I can change them. The only time a kid is sitting in poop at my house is when we are changing someone else's rear end and we literally can't do them both at the same time.

I don't care if I wake the dead doing it. I don't care if the parents are upset if their kid wakes up early and is tired.

To me this is another space issue I see so much. When providers make decisions to with hold BASIC care... not advanced or special care... but BASIC care it almost always comes down to space. If you don't have space to seperate kids at nap who are so easily awakened that they would stay awake crying thru the rest of nap and their crying would affect your break...then you just don't have enough space to have the kids in the first place.
nannyde 02:19 PM 08-07-2013
Can you imagine!?! wake up- wake up... Did you poop?? No- oh ok go back to sleep! X12!?
Rediculous. Nobody is saying to wake kids to check. We are talking about when the providers KNOW a kid is poopy.
Familycare71 02:23 PM 08-07-2013
Rediculous. Nobody is saying to wake kids to check. We are talking about when the providers KNOW a kid is poopy.
I didn't mean that- sorry... I meant in a room of 12 kids trying to figure out who pooped!
Blackcat31 02:28 PM 08-07-2013
What parents do (or don't do) with their own children has NO bearing on what a provider should/shouldn't do.
Familycare71 02:30 PM 08-07-2013
I would never allow a kid to have poop on their butt when I know I can change them. The only time a kid is sitting in poop at my house is when we are changing someone else's rear end and we literally can't do them both at the same time.

I don't care if I wake the dead doing it. I don't care if the parents are upset if their kid wakes up early and is tired.

To me this is another space issue I see so much. When providers make decisions to with hold BASIC care... not advanced or special care... but BASIC care it almost always comes down to space. If you don't have space to seperate kids at nap who are so easily awakened that they would stay awake crying thru the rest of nap and their crying would affect your break...then you just don't have enough space to have the kids in the first place.
Really!? So your saying because I have all my kids in the same room for nap I shouldn't be providing care???
I don't have assistance, I CHOOSE to have kids nap in one room because I keep a small group (so I can provide quality care) and I CHOOSE to not wake a kid up who pooped- I don't want them cranky, the kids I care for generally wouldn't go back to sleep and would most likely fuss and wake up the others.
I don't wake kids up- period. I don't think that makes me a bad or neglectful provider.
Unregistered 02:31 PM 08-07-2013
Get over it! Some people wake kids up,some let them sleep!It doesn't make one a better provider than another. It is not neglect or refusing basic care. They are sleeping,they will be fine!
Crystal 02:45 PM 08-07-2013
First time I've gotten such an angry reply on here! Bound to happen I suppose . I will respect that you disagree with me...
I will also say I don't appreciate your tone or that you are saying I am not a quality provider or don't have my dck best interests at heart! Someone already responded what I would have so ill save it BUT in the future be a big girl and use kind words with me- thanks!
It's not an agry reply, it's an honest reply. I don't care if you like my tone or not. It IS neglectful to knowlingly leave a child in a crap filled diaper. It is a health hazard. Leaving a child in a crap filled diaper does indicate that you do not have their best interests at heart.....it can cause diaper rash, they might put their hands in it at some point and then put it in their mouth, they might smear it on the wall, posing a risk to other children......nevermind that no one should be subjected to having to smell it throughout the duration just because you don't want to wake a sleeping child. Nevermind the fact that children don't crap themselves ASLEEP, they do it BEFORE they fall asleep and are then left to lay in it. If they are recieving adequate supervision you will notice they are doing it BEFORE they fall asleep and can change them without the concern of waking them.

Be a big girl Hahahaha....now that's a first. Perhaps you should heed your own advice.
Crystal 02:47 PM 08-07-2013
hmmmm......I don't ask infants and toddlers if they pooped, I look in their diaper. Pretty easy to do, without waking anyone.
nannyde 02:47 PM 08-07-2013
I didn't mean that- sorry... I meant in a room of 12 kids trying to figure out who pooped!
Then yes you do check them until you figure out who is dirty. I even check them after I have figured it out to make sure there aren't more than one.

I check the kids every ten minutes during nap if I have a baby under one. They are used to me coming in and out. I could vacuum by their heads and they would sleep thru it. I don't care ifbthey wake up during nap. Once they realize that they arent getting up during nap they sleep thru whatever goes on around them. Changing diapers doesn't wake them up.
nannyde 02:49 PM 08-07-2013
Get over it! Some people wake kids up,some let them sleep!It doesn't make one a better provider than another. It is not neglect or refusing basic care. They are sleeping,they will be fine!
Yes it does make them a BETTER provider. It's BASIC minimum standard care.
nannyde 02:51 PM 08-07-2013
Really!? So your saying because I have all my kids in the same room for nap I shouldn't be providing care???
I don't have assistance, I CHOOSE to have kids nap in one room because I keep a small group (so I can provide quality care) and I CHOOSE to not wake a kid up who pooped- I don't want them cranky, the kids I care for generally wouldn't go back to sleep and would most likely fuss and wake up the others.
I don't wake kids up- period. I don't think that makes me a bad or neglectful provider.
If thwy can't sleep thru a diaper change or get themselves back to sleep after they have awakened then YES you don't have enough space.
Crystal 02:52 PM 08-07-2013
Nah....not gonna get over it. It is disgusting. It is neglectful.

I suggest everyone of you ask yourselves how you would feel if it were YOUR child who was being left in a crap filled diaper for a couple of hours because your provider was more concerned about her break than about your child's right to recieve basic care. Bet you wouldn't like it one bit. Not to mention, how many times have I read on this forum, providers complaining that parents are to lazy to change the child's diaper and they show up with a crap filled diaper. Double standards, as usual.

CRAP like this makes me embarrassed to be a provider some times, honestly, I would HATE for parents to associate me and my practices with the way others practice care. And, if that makes you think I am saying I am better than some, then so be it.
nannyde 03:01 PM 08-07-2013
It's not an agry reply, it's an honest reply. I don't care if you like my tone or not. It IS neglectful to knowlingly leave a child in a crap filled diaper. It is a health hazard. Leaving a child in a crap filled diaper does indicate that you do not have their best interests at heart.....it can cause diaper rash, they might put their hands in it at some point and then put it in their mouth, they might smear it on the wall, posing a risk to other children......nevermind that no one should be subjected to having to smell it throughout the duration just because you don't want to wake a sleeping child. Nevermind the fact that children don't crap themselves ASLEEP, they do it BEFORE they fall asleep and are then left to lay in it. If they are recieving adequate supervision you will notice they are doing it BEFORE they fall asleep and can change them without the concern of waking them.

Be a big girl Hahahaha....now that's a first. Perhaps you should heed your own advice.
Another big reason is there is another entryway of bacteria into the childs body in the diapered poopy area. You don't leave kids sitting in poop when you know with every minute they are sitting or laying in it it can get into their urethra or vagina. Exposure for hours increases the liklihood of ecoli and other bacteria entering the bloodstream dramatically.

We are taught to wipe front to back for a reason.

This is the kind of fundamental care decisions that show a complete lack of basic health and safety training.
Unregistered 03:04 PM 08-07-2013
Yes,do get over it. You're attitude and bullying ways make me embarrassed to be a provider! You my dear are a bully, with an attitude problem.Every one of your responses to people's post are full of judgement and just an overall "I'm better then everyone else"
Change your crappy kids! You are the BEST provider out there!
nannyde 03:05 PM 08-07-2013
Nah....not gonna get over it. It is disgusting. It is neglectful.

I suggest everyone of you ask yourselves how you would feel if it were YOUR child who was being left in a crap filled diaper for a couple of hours because your provider was more concerned about her break than about your child's right to recieve basic care. Bet you wouldn't like it one bit. Not to mention, how many times have I read on this forum, providers complaining that parents are to lazy to change the child's diaper and they show up with a crap filled diaper. Double standards, as usual.

CRAP like this makes me embarrassed to be a provider some times, honestly, I would HATE for parents to associate me and my practices with the way others practice care. And, if that makes you think I am saying I am better than some, then so be it.
How would YOU like to lay in poop for two hours?

Rediculous. This is BASIC common sense and BASIC minimum standard care. I promise you there isn't a public health or department of children and family service that would ever condone a child being in a poopy diaper for any time for any reason. As soon as they poop it needs to be changed. Right then. Unless you are in a fire or some emergency where the lives are at risk... the kids need to be changed asap.
mamac 03:06 PM 08-07-2013
I always wake to change a poopy diaper. I've even changed wet diapers in the middle of the night before I went to sleep. They've never woken up. During the 6 months before my ds was potty trained I would put him in for his nap. Sometimes he'd be nearly asleep when I brought him in and sometimes he was fully awake. He always pooped within 10 minutes of being in there. I tried pushing nap time back a little but it's like his body was used to the routine of lying down and then pooping. I always went in and changed him even if a miracle happened and he actually fell asleep during nap, in which case he'd be up and ready to go.

Not changing wasn't really an option anyway. My kids are pretty stinky.
nannyde 03:10 PM 08-07-2013
Yes,do get over it. You're attitude and bullying ways make me embarrassed to be a provider! You my dear are a bully, with an attitude problem.Every one of your responses to people's post are full of judgement and just an overall "I'm better then everyone else"
It's not being a bully. There's no kind gentle way to say you are being negligent. It would be one thing if this was a discussion of when to change but it's now a defense of something that is JUST PLAIN WRONG. We are trying to get you too see it.

I've been on daycare boards for 15 years and this is about the most ridiculous discussion I have seen. We have completely lost our ability to make basic common sense decisions.
Crystal 03:13 PM 08-07-2013
hahahahahahaha!!!!!!! I am a bully. EVERY ONE of my responses on this forum are bullying!!! hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
Familycare71 03:14 PM 08-07-2013
My kids aren't pooping awake- the fact that you believe you know my dck better than I do is insane!
Ill just personally agree to disagree... Who knew poop could be so angering! Lol
Heidi 03:16 PM 08-07-2013
Gosh...speaking of poop, it's getting a little stinky on this thread!
Unregistered 03:17 PM 08-07-2013
It's getting stinky in here because between Crystal and Nannyde they are full of crap!
Crystal 03:18 PM 08-07-2013

Rediculous. This is BASIC common sense and BASIC minimum standard care. I promise you there isn't a public health or department of children and family service that would ever condone a child being in a poopy diaper for any time for any reason. As soon as they poop it needs to be changed. Right then. Unless you are in a fire or some emergency where the lives are at risk... the kids need to be changed asap.
No kidding.
Crystal 03:19 PM 08-07-2013
My kids aren't pooping awake- the fact that you believe you know my dck better than I do is insane!
Ill just personally agree to disagree... Who knew poop could be so angering! Lol
I have NEVER had kid crap themselves asleep. I cannot even imagine it happening.
Play Care 03:19 PM 08-07-2013

Crystal 03:20 PM 08-07-2013
It's getting stinky in here because between Crystal and Nannyde they are full of crap!
How are we full of crap? Is what we said not true? Is what we said a lie? Are we lying when we say we wouldn't allow a child to sit in a ****ty diaper? Please, do share, how are we full of crap? We are just being honest, and starightforward....which clearly some people cannot tolerate.
mom2many 03:22 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
WOW! I couldn't agree more!
Familycare71 03:24 PM 08-07-2013
I have NEVER had kid crap themselves asleep. I cannot even imagine it happening.
Well- if you cannot imagine it ... It MUST NEVER HAPPEN!!!
I just can't even take this serious anymore!
blandino 03:37 PM 08-07-2013

Normally I agree with you in most every situation. We rent an entire home for our daycare that has three large rooms, one small room and a bathroom. We have more than enough space.

However, I would still maintain that their crying would wake up the other children, as they are startled, being woken and changed. We do white notice, etc. but the kids do wake up of another child is upset and screaming. Obviously once they are out of the room where they are sleeping, they would be far enough to not wake the other children. But the process of waking and changing their diaper would wake the other kids.
Crystal 03:39 PM 08-07-2013
Well- if you cannot imagine it ... It MUST NEVER HAPPEN!!!
I just can't even take this serious anymore!
I suppose it could happen, but it isn't likely. It is far more likely that the child pooped before falling asleep, or woke up briefly and pooped, then fell back to sleep. An observant provider would see that. What isn't "serious" about that?

Ya know, you are the one who said "flame away" when you posted above, so don't get upset when you get "flamed".
MyAngels 03:48 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:

If I have a naptime pooper I just bring them out of the room to change and then put them back to bed. I must have well trained nappers because it's never been a problem.

For my babies, they sleep in their own rooms, so that's never an issue as far as waking anyone else.

Most of my kids are pretty regular, so it's easy to prevent anyway as long as they stay "on schedule" so to speak .
Crystal 03:53 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

If I have a naptime pooper I just bring them out of the room to change and then put them back to bed. I must have well trained nappers because it's never been a problem.

For my babies, they sleep in their own rooms, so that's never an issue as far as waking anyone else.

Most of my kids are pretty regular, so it's easy to prevent anyway as long as they stay "on schedule" so to speak .

Brooksie 04:00 PM 08-07-2013
Wowwww... This is NOT what I expected to come of this simple post. While I agree on both stand points: me being someone who changes poopy diapers no matter what, but now I'm also seeing the effects of children being sleep deprived and interfering with the other children's day.. Its not so much an inconvenience for me. I have a special needs girl that never sleeps. She's up with me any way. But at 15 months I KNOW he needs that nap.

On top of that I'm now being thoroughly insulted by nanny.. To say if a child wakes another that I don't have enough room and shouldn't be a child care provider is blasphemous!! People care for children in all kinds of set ups. I have the highest quality and sought after FCC in my county. I have a very open floor plan that I picked SPECIFICALLY with caring for children in mind. No one is ever out of sight. I do NOT have a separate nap room and so what?! This is the house I LIVE in. I am great at my job. Everyone is very happy here and I have a HUGE wait list. But yes, rousing children from nap IS disruptive. That doesn't mean I shouldn't run a daycare. Get off your high horse.
Crystal 04:10 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Wowwww... This is NOT what I expected to come of this simple post. While I agree on both stand points: me being someone who changes poopy diapers no matter what, but now I'm also seeing the effects of children being sleep deprived and interfering with the other children's day.. Its not so much an inconvenience for me. I have a special needs girl that never sleeps. She's up with me any way. But at 15 months I KNOW he needs that nap.

On top of that I'm now being thoroughly insulted by nanny.. To say if a child wakes another that I don't have enough room and shouldn't be a child care provider is blasphemous!! People care for children in all kinds of set ups. I have the highest quality and sought after FCC in my county. I have a very open floor plan that I picked SPECIFICALLY with caring for children in mind. No one is ever out of sight. I do NOT have a separate nap room and so what?! This is the house I LIVE in. I am great at my job. Everyone is very happy here and I have a HUGE wait list. But yes, rousing children from nap IS disruptive. That doesn't mean I shouldn't run a daycare. Get off your high horse.
I don't think she was talking about you. You said you did change him and you never indicated that he woke the other children. I think she was referring to others.

FWIW....I TOTALLY get your frustration and why you wouldn't WANT to change him. But you did change him.....you did the right thing for the child, even if it does drive you crazy cuz he's a cranky baby without his sleep.
blandino 04:15 PM 08-07-2013
Bingo.

Everyone has to make some sacrifices due to the amount of space they have. I would love to have a home with 12 bedrooms for each one of my kids to sleep individually, but that just isn't feasible. All babies in pack and plays sleep in one room, and all big kids on mats sleep in another. I don't think that makes for a substandard daycare set-up.
Familycare71 04:17 PM 08-07-2013

Familycare71 04:19 PM 08-07-2013
I suppose it could happen, but it isn't likely. It is far more likely that the child pooped before falling asleep, or woke up briefly and pooped, then fell back to sleep. An observant provider would see that. What isn't "serious" about that?

Ya know, you are the one who said "flame away" when you posted above, so don't get upset when you get "flamed".
No worries Crystal... You have def taught me my lesson and I will not sarcastically or otherwise use that word again- didnt know it would cause open season...
nannyde 04:37 PM 08-07-2013

I'm not insulting you. I'm saying if the proximity of crying children is waking sleeping children then you need space to seperate them. Don't take on kids if you don't have the space to insure good quality care at ALL times.
Brooksie 04:46 PM 08-07-2013
I'm not insulting you. I'm saying if the proximity of crying children is waking sleeping children then you need space to seperate them. Don't take on kids if you don't have the space to insure good quality care at ALL times.
I do provide quality care. Saying a child waking up another means I'm not providing quality care and shouldn't care for kids is ridiculous. That's like saying if you, as a parent, have more than one kid and the other kid wakes up that baby during nap then YOU DONT HAVE A BIG ENOUGH HOUSE TO HAVE CHILDREN. SHAME ON YOU. That's insanity. And it is insulting. Some times things happen. Doesn't mean I shouldn't care for children.

And for the record, in order to provide quality care to my kids I purposefully don't max out. I have a wait list and I still have 2 spots open. MY choice. I keep a small group to better provide individualized attention and quality care. But I still show concern for kids affected by one not napping and being disruptive.
nannyde 04:57 PM 08-07-2013
I do provide quality care. Saying a child waking up another means I'm not providing quality care and shouldn't care for kids is ridiculous. That's like saying if you, as a parent, have more than one kid and the other kid wakes up that baby during nap then YOU DONT HAVE A BIG ENOUGH HOUSE TO HAVE CHILDREN. SHAME ON YOU. That's insanity. And it is insulting. Some times things happen. Doesn't mean I shouldn't care for children.

And for the record, in order to provide quality care to my kids I purposefully don't max out. I have a wait list and I still have 2 spots open. MY choice. I keep a small group to better provide individualized attention and quality care. But I still show concern for kids affected by one not napping and being disruptive.
If a provider is knowingly leaving a child in a poopy diaper because waking the child to change would cause enough noise that children in close proximity would awaken and cry and stay awake then the provider doesn't have enough room.

If a provider changes a child who is poopy and awakens the children in close proximity who may cry themselves and stay awake then space is not an issue.

It's the ones who refuse to change in fear of the consequences of waking adjacent or nearby who is operating too many kids for the space she has available. This IS very much a space issue. Space isnt the ONLY issue but it is a big part of why the provider would knowinly leave poop on a child for the duration of nap.
Angelsj 05:06 PM 08-07-2013

It has nothing to do with laziness or losing any type of break. I do NOT insist on napping children, nor do I nap them all at the same time. I NEVER have a nap break.

It has to do with a child getting good sleep. For the record, it also does not necessarily mean a health hazard. They are clean and dry just before they sleep, and again two hours later just after they awaken. If they happen to poop while sleeping, and do not awaken, why would I interrupt a good sleep?

I have NEVER had a child get a rash doing this, nor have I ever had any get UTIs. 30 plus years and over 100 children in care, and it just doesn't happen.
Of course, I also get kids up immediately upon awakening, so they do not sit in poop.
lflick 05:07 PM 08-07-2013
I know this post will get lost in the shuffle of opinions... BUT.... I would like to share my point of view..... both as a new member to the forum and a new daycare provider (in comparison to most of you).

1. I have kiddos, all ages, and I am lucky if they are all asleep at the same time. Generally speaking most under 1 year run the roost per say as they sleep whenever they darn well fell like it. I often times have a cranky infant during naptime for the other littles and it doesn't rouse them.... MOST times..... occasionally a light sleeper will begin to cry but are back asleep in a matter of moments..... there have been nightmare days where naptime was such a fiasco it was honestly not worth even trying to continue.

2. I have a very small house (4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen/dining, living room, and the playroom.... the playroom was supposed to be our dining area however I really enjoy having a space for my own kids to play on rainy/cold days... other than in the living room/kitchen/bedrooms.

3. My DCGs are notorious for pooping during nap time.... every time they have alerted me via crying or some sort of disturbance.... they are always changed promptly and lain back down for the duration of rest time, sleeping or not.

4. I see where feathers are ruffled within this post and I can empathize with both sides.... I believe the most difficult part of a forum is text... you cannot always see the context or perhaps fully grasp what another is trying to convey. That being said, I think each is entitled to run their daycare in the manner they see fit so long as the childs needs are top priority.
Angelsj 05:10 PM 08-07-2013
If thwy can't sleep thru a diaper change or get themselves back to sleep after they have awakened then YES you don't have enough space.
I find this statement ridiculous. It is quite common for me to have only one sleeping baby at a time. Right now I have a two year old that is often the only napper, naps quite well for two hours almost on the dot, and often wakes up stinky. There is no way he could either "sleep through a diaper change, or put himself back to sleep." He just is not that kind of kid.

So my 3000 sq foot house is not big enough for this one little guy??? Seriously?
And just for the record, he has been here since he was 5 months old and has NEVER had a rash of any kind, nor any urinary issues.
Brooksie 05:14 PM 08-07-2013
I find this statement ridiculous. It is quite common for me to have only one sleeping baby at a time. Right now I have a two year old that is often the only napper, naps quite well for two hours almost on the dot, and often wakes up stinky. There is no way he could either "sleep through a diaper change, or put himself back to sleep." He just is not that kind of kid.

So my 3000 sq foot house is not big enough for this one little guy??? Seriously?
And just for the record, he has been here since he was 5 months old and has NEVER had a rash of any kind, nor any urinary issues.
Yea I agree. Every kid is different. Every group is different. I have a couple kids who are able to fall back to sleep easily if aroused, and others who can't. And that doesn't necessarily have to do with MY environment but their environment at home.
mom2many 05:15 PM 08-07-2013
Your intent might not have been to be insulting; however, that is NOT how it came across. I have a 1600 sq ft home with two separate bedrooms specifically for napping and unless they were "sound proofed" (which they are not) a crying baby could and will wake up others in another part of my home.

Some children sleep lighter than others and to insinuate that this is too small a daycare facility and not enough space to insure good quality care at ALL times is a bit ludicrous and obnoxious!

Debating whether to change a poopy diaper on a sleeping child is one thing, but this was really an unnecessary comment!
Brooksie 05:17 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
Your intent might not have been to be insulting; however, that is NOT how it came across. I have a 1600 sq ft home with two separate bedrooms specifically for napping and unless they were "sound proofed" (which they are not) a crying baby could and will wake up others in another part of my home.

Some children sleep lighter than others and to insinuate that this is too small a daycare facility and not enough space to insure good quality care at ALL times is a bit ludicrous and obnoxious!

Debating whether to change a poopy diaper on a sleeping child is one thing, but this was really an unnecessary comment!

Laurel 05:28 PM 08-07-2013
I think I'm right and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. Anyone who disagrees with me isn't a good provider. Everyone who agrees with me is a great provider. Any questions?

Laurel
Familycare71 05:47 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I think I'm right and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. Anyone who disagrees with me isn't a good provider. Everyone who agrees with me is a great provider. Any questions?

Laurel

Familycare71 05:48 PM 08-07-2013

nannyde 06:43 PM 08-07-2013
Normally I agree with you in most every situation. We rent an entire home for our daycare that has three large rooms, one small room and a bathroom. We have more than enough space.

However, I would still maintain that their crying would wake up the other children, as they are startled, being woken and changed. We do white notice, etc. but the kids do wake up of another child is upset and screaming. Obviously once they are out of the room where they are sleeping, they would be far enough to not wake the other children. But the process of waking and changing their diaper would wake the other kids.
What is the problem with ALL of the kids waking up and staying awake for the entire nap time? So they are tired for ONE day because one of their mates needed a two minute diaper change.

What difference does it make? I seriously don't get it...

What is the problem with them all waking up and not going back to sleep?

If a two minute diaper change is enough for them to go from a dead sleep to wide awake for the rest of nap time then they can't be that tired in the first place.

Why can't they ALL just be awake for the rest of nap?

The provider who doesn't want them awake has a reason for not wanting them to be awake for the rest of nap.
blandino 07:09 PM 08-07-2013
I want them to get a restful, full, nap, that is all the sleep they need. I don't want them to be cranky and grumpy and stressed. I want them to be well rested.

Waking them before they are ready isn't going to insure that they are well-rested. And while in theory they can put themselves back to sleep, not all of mine do that well once they are woken up too soon.

My "reason" is for their emotional well being.

I understand we are seeing this from two very different viewpoints. But I truly, earnestly, value the emotional stability and well-being that comes from getting all the nap they need, over them sitting in a poopy diaper while they sleep. If they wake from the poopy diaper, them by all means I would change them immediately, but if they are comfortable enough to sleep right through it, then I want them to get all the sleep they need. I have infants up all throughout my older kids nap time. So it really doesn't inconvenience me if they are awake. I want them to be well-rested for their own health and happiness.
Familycare71 07:14 PM 08-07-2013
I want them to get a restful, full, nap, that is all the sleep they need. I don't want them to be cranky and grumpy and stressed. I want them to be well rested.

Waking them before they are ready isn't going to insure that they are well-rested. And while in theory they can put themselves back to sleep, not all of mine do that well once they are woken up too soon.

I understand we are seeing this from two very different viewpoints. But I truly, earnestly, value the emotional stability and well-being that comes from getting all the nap they need, over them sitting in a poopy diaper while they sleep. If they wake from the poopy diaper, them by all means I would change them immediately, but if they are comfortable enough to sleep right through it, then I want them to get all the sleep they need. I have infants up all throughout my older kids nap time. So it really doesn't inconvenience me if they are awake. I want them to be well-rested for their own health and happiness.

dbslas 10:29 PM 08-07-2013

This
Meyou 04:03 AM 08-08-2013
I want all my children to have long, restful naps too but not at the expense of a child having to sleep with feces on them or other children having to sleep (or rest) within nose range of the smell.

I just don't understand how it's even an option to leave a human being lying in their own waste. As a Mom if I checked on one of my kids and I smelled poop I would change them right away, day or night. My daycare children are no different.
Brooksie 04:25 AM 08-08-2013

Laurel 04:42 AM 08-08-2013

Laurel
nannyde 05:44 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I want all my children to have long, restful naps too but not at the expense of a child having to sleep with feces on them or other children having to sleep (or rest) within nose range of the smell.

I just don't understand how it's even an option to leave a human being lying in their own waste. As a Mom if I checked on one of my kids and I smelled poop I would change them right away, day or night. My daycare children are no different.
I don't understand either. I pray that if I should ever be in an old age home and I need someone to change me after I soil myself that they don't say words to themselves like "I don't want to wake her roomate" and leave me for hours.

I'm not buying the "it's best for the babies" argument. Not changing a kid out of a soiled diaper is best for the adult whether it's a parent doing it or a provider doing it.

Until we get to the TRUTH of why it is best for the provider it can't be fixed for the future and others can't learn from it.
Brooksie 07:02 AM 08-08-2013
Even in quality nursing homes they don't wake a patient from a nap to change a soiled diaper.. Just saying. Trust me. I have a friend who is a CNA for the most highly recommended and rated Nursing Home on the shore.
Familycare71 07:08 AM 08-08-2013
Even in quality nursing homes they don't wake a patient from a nap to change a soiled diaper.. Just saying. Trust me. I have a friend who is a CNA for the most highly recommended and rated Nursing Home on the shore.

Blackcat31 07:13 AM 08-08-2013
I'm NOT getting into the debate about whether to wake a sleeping child if they soil their diapers....as my opinion has no bearing on what each providers state rules and/or regs say but I 100% disagree with the above statement.

Your CNA friend might work in a highly recommended facility but any facility that believes that leaving a human being in soiled diapers is okay, is NOT a facility I would ever place my loved ones in.

My daughter is a RN specializing in geriatric care and is also pursing her nursing home director's credentials and one of the very first things they are taught is a human beings right to be clean.

ALL soiled diapers are changed IMMEDIATELY regardless of what activity or non-activity (sleeping) the patient is doing.

They would NEVER leave them in a soiled diaper.

I also understand everyone trying to prove their point but let's not start painting everyone with the same brush.

My suggestion is for providers to ask the parents....if the parent gives you written permission to leave their child in a soiled diaper so they can nap, then so be it. If your state rules/regs dictate to you when a child must be changed, then you also have your answer.

It is so simple....just ASK. Ask the parent which do they value more; the sleep their child gets/needs or their need to have a fresh clean diaper immediately after soiling.

There really is no need to argue with others about what they do. Do what YOUR state and clients require you to do.
Brooksie 07:19 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm NOT getting into the debate about whether to wake a sleeping child if they soil their diapers....as my opinion has no bearing on what each providers state rules and/or regs say but I 100% disagree with the above statement.

Your CNA friend might work in a highly recommended facility but any facility that believes that leaving a human being in soiled diapers is okay is NOT a facility I would ever place my loved ones.

My daughter is a RN specializing in geriatric care and is also pursing her nursing home director's credentials and one of the very first things they are taught is a human beings right to be clean.

ALL soiled diapers are changed IMMEDIATELY regardless of what activity or non-activity (sleeping) the patient is doing.

They would NEVER leave them in a soiled diaper.
I also know an RN who works there, and my grandmother was there for a short period. It is an amazing facility. They give the utmost care and respect to the patients there. The thing they face that we don't always face is the patients being able to communicate with them. If a patient is napping there generally request to be left alone during that time. They want there sleep, and know they will be changed after they wake up. Night time rounds are completely different. But a short nap is generally treated as such. A short period of time. And they know they will be cleaned as soon as they wake up.
Crystal 07:20 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:

Same here. I really don't WANT to wake a child, but I'd rather wake them than leave them in their own waste.

Good grief, I never thought it would ever be a debate about whether it is better to change a diaper of let them sleep.

And, I am wondering why no one has answered my earlier post asking how one would feel if it was their OWN CHILD left to lay in feces for two hours for the sake of good sleep.
Familycare71 07:28 AM 08-08-2013
Same here. I really don't WANT to wake a child, but I'd rather wake them than leave them in their own waste.

Good grief, I never thought it would ever be a debate about whether it is better to change a diaper of let them sleep.

And, I am wondering why no one has answered my earlier post asking how one would feel if it was their OWN CHILD left to lay in feces for two hours for the sake of good sleep.
I didn't answer because I really don't feel like engaging you is productive. However- yes - I did not change my own children during nap. No longer an issue as they are older.
CedarCreek 07:30 AM 08-08-2013
Fun thread.

Depends for me. If I know one of them had pooped,I change them. If I don't know until after nap, they don't get changed until after nap. I don't check diapers all through nap time.

I've actually very seldom had this issue anyway.
Familycare71 07:33 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Fun thread.

Depends for me. If I know one of them had pooped,I change them. If I don't know until after nap, they don't get changed until after nap. I don't check diapers all through nap time.

I've actually very seldom had this issue anyway.
Wishing I kept my big 'ol mouth shut!!
Brooksie 07:36 AM 08-08-2013
BC -I do agree that it is as simple as asking the parents what they value more. I was planning on doing that this morning and check on how the rest of dcbs evening was, but he is out today getting his vaccines. If the parent wants their child changed immediately then you change that child. If they want a well rested child you need to do your best to ensure they get that sleep. Every child and circumstance is different. Same thing with a nursing home. I know dang well if I walked in to my Grandmothers room during her nap to check her diaper she would kick me out. And I spend a lot of time helping to care for her. She values her sleep over 40 minutes in a soiled diaper. Heck, half the time she can't even tell she's sitting in one and when addressed she tells you where you can shove it
tenderhearts 08:11 AM 08-08-2013
How long after he falls asleep is he pooping? I had a nap time pooper too and it seemed he was doing it about 30 min into nap, he would wake up, so I started trying to put him down a little later to see if he'd poop before I layed him down, it worked. He did this for a couple of weeks and for some reason he is no longer a nap time pooper.
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 08-08-2013
BC -I do agree that it is as simple as asking the parents what they value more. I was planning on doing that this morning and check on how the rest of dcbs evening was, but he is out today getting his vaccines. If the parent wants their child changed immediately then you change that child. If they want a well rested child you need to do your best to ensure they get that sleep. Every child and circumstance is different. Same thing with a nursing home. I know dang well if I walked in to my Grandmothers room during her nap to check her diaper she would kick me out. And I spend a lot of time helping to care for her. She values her sleep over 40 minutes in a soiled diaper. Heck, half the time she can't even tell she's sitting in one and when addressed she tells you where you can shove it
That seems to me like the easiest solution to this.

I follow the rules and regulations in my state first and foremost.

A parent cannot give me permission to against state regulations and laws so if my state regulations require me to change soiled diapers immediately then I must do so regardless of what the parent says.

However, if there are no state rules/regulations governing your facility, then the parent absolutely gets to make that call.

Then, and ONLY then, do you (general you as a provider) get to decide what is the best way to handle the situation.

If you disagree with the parents wishes, then don't enroll the child.

If you agree with the parent's wishes, great!

...a relationship with open communication and expectations that meet each other's needs.
Brooksie 08:19 AM 08-08-2013

A parent cannot give me permission to against state regulations and laws so if my state regulations require me to change soiled diapers immediately then I must do so regardless of what the parent says.

However, if there are no state rules/regulations governing your facility, then the parent absolutely gets to make that call.

Then, and ONLY then, do you (general you as a provider) get to decide what is the best way to handle the situation.

...a relationship with open communication and expectations that meet each other's needs.

Brooksie 08:30 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
How long after he falls asleep is he pooping? I had a nap time pooper too and it seemed he was doing it about 30 min into nap, he would wake up, so I started trying to put him down a little later to see if he'd poop before I layed him down, it worked. He did this for a couple of weeks and for some reason he is no longer a nap time pooper.
This dcb that pooped isn't usually a nap time pooper. He generally poops before lunch but was dropped off late and therefore his schedule was pushed back. I noticed he poop maybe 5-6 minutes after he fell asleep, which tells me he pooped right before he passed out. I was flushing a G/J tube and administering meds to my special needs girl when he was falling asleep (was in plain sight not 6 ft from me) and he never fussed or made any inclination that he pooped until I went to move him and his pants which had just been chanced felt full. There wasn't even a distinct smell. At that point I changed him and he never fell back to sleep.

My normal nap time pooper generally poops during the falling asleep process but will alarm you that he has pooped (the smell is hard to miss too lol). I always change him and then he will fall asleep 2-3 minutes after that. Like pooping is what he was waiting for. Even after he had just pooped before nap he will stir towards the end of nap and before I can even get up from my chair to check on him he falls back to sleep for another 20 minutes or so. This is his usual routine. I let him sleep and change him immediately after waking up. He's never gotten a rash and his mom knows this happens because it happens to her too. Every time he wakes up poopy we discuss it and she laughs because its so regular for him. But seriously, if you wake this boy up its like you've awoken a daemon. (this is my extreme crier) and he is MISERABLE for the rest of the afternoon. Whether he was woken up 5 minutes early or 40 minutes early, you would get the impression that you had tried to murder him. This childs mom wants me to let him sleep. And like I said, generally its only for another 10-15 minutes any way. Lord knows he NEEDS that time.

Again this goes to show that every child's' needs are different. Every parents values are different. Every licensing branch has different regulations. And every provider is entitled to their own opinion.
nannyde 08:35 AM 08-08-2013

Oh State Regs...

Glad you brought them up...

Well let's see. How about

New York

417.11 (o) Infants must be kept clean and
comfortable at all times
. Diapers must be
changed when wet or soiled.

417.8 (a)(1) The caregiver must
be awake at all times and physically
check sleeping children every 15 minutes

Maryland.

D. To assist in preventing the spread of disease, the provider shall:
(1) Promptly change a child's diaper, clothing, and bedding when soiled or wet;
(2) Follow diapering procedures designed to prevent the transmission of disease, which are established and supplied by the Office; and
(3) Maintain the surface used for diapering in a clean and sanitary manner.

Oklahma.

Center rules:
Section 25. Care of infants, toddlers, and two-year-olds

(6) Diapers are checked hourly and whenever the child indicates discomfort or
exhibits behavior that suggests a soiled or wet diaper.
(7) Diapers are changed promptly when wet or soiled.

family care rules
Section 93. Infants, toddlers, and two-year-olds
(d) Diaper-changing. Diapers are changed promptly when wet or soiled.
(1) A clean nonporous surface or pad is used for diaper changes and
sanitized after each use. Care is taken to prevent spread of germs

I honestly can't believe we are having to discuss this. It's a first for me and I've been on boards for 15 years.

Come on ladies... THINK
THINK about leaving any human being lying in poopy pants.
Tags:dirty diapers, poop, poops - during nap, unsanitary
1 2 
Reply Up