Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>AM Snack to curb meltdowns?
Rockgirl 06:28 AM 06-30-2016
I've never served an AM snack here. We do breakfast at 8:30-9:00, and lunch 11:30-12:00. I've noticed a pattern lately with a couple of kids, but mainly in dcb, age 2. He's happy all morning, then around 10:30-11:00, it's like a switch is flipped. He becomes aggressive, defiant, and just all-around unbearable. Since it's around that same time every day, I'm wondering if he's just bottoming out then.

I'm thinking a small AM snack around 10:00 might help prevent this. Like maybe a couple of crackers and small piece of cheese, or half a PB sandwich--definitely nothing sugary.

Has anyone noticed a difference in kids' behavior after starting a morning snack?
rosieteddy 06:32 AM 06-30-2016
Could he just be thirsty?Sometimes just a water will help.I wouldn't offer a snack.I would push lunch up a little.If you give snack that close to lunch then he probably will not eat as well then.
Rockgirl 06:40 AM 06-30-2016
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Could he just be thirsty?Sometimes just a water will help.I wouldn't offer a snack.I would push lunch up a little.If you give snack that close to lunch then he probably will not eat as well then.
They have access to their water cups at all times--he drinks quite a bit of water. I don't think I would be able to move lunch up enough to make a difference, since the meltdowns start before 11. I was thinking just something really small, then doing lunch at noon. I think that would be spaced far enough.
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 06-30-2016
I dont serve breakfast but instead serve a LARGE snack at 9:15. It keeps the kids held over until lunch nicely.

ANY child that seems hungry before that needs to eat PRIOR to coming to daycare. I make sure to let the parents know too.

I would tell this little guys parents he needs a good hearty breakfast at home so that when you serve "breakfast" (I ALWAYS call it snack) it will be just a topping off until lunch time.

My LARGE a.m. snack IS breakfast according to CAFCP but it's "snack" when I refer to it simply because as soon as parents realize you serve breakfast their kid starts getting the short end of the stick and find themselves in the same position as your little guy.
Rockgirl 07:01 AM 06-30-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I dont serve breakfast but instead serve a LARGE snack at 9:15. It keeps the kids held over until lunch nicely.

ANY child that seems hungry before that needs to eat PRIOR to coming to daycare. I make sure to let the parents know too.

I would tell this little guys parents he needs a good hearty breakfast at home so that when you serve "breakfast" (I ALWAYS call it snack) it will be just a topping off until lunch time.

My LARGE a.m. snack IS breakfast according to CAFCP but it's "snack" when I refer to it simply because as soon as parents realize you serve breakfast their kid starts getting the short end of the stick and find themselves in the same position as your little guy.
I like this! I could let my early arrivals know so they could eat breakfast at home first...then they don't show up starving.
daycarediva 08:12 AM 06-30-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

exactly what I do, too. Works great, and the kids are always fed every couple of hours 9-9:30/11:30/12, 2:30

Newest issue is my grazer eating half of snack at 2:30 and then asking for food again at 4. I do not want to add in another snack.
Reply Up