Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Upset/Concerned Mama
DCBlessings27 02:48 PM 03-14-2012
DCM just told me that dcg who hasn't been here the last couple days has pneumonia. My dd is flushed and coughing badly (just like she did when she herself had pneumonia in Jan). Worried dd has pneumonia again.

I'll be terming if it turns out that the dcg I talked about last week that was on antibiotics for a "cold" actually had this and came to dc.
cheerfuldom 03:10 PM 03-14-2012
But are you sure that DCM purposefully withheld medical issues from you before this convo?
wdmmom 03:37 PM 03-14-2012
My nephew was at the doctor 3 times in 1 week. He was diagnosed with a cold 1st, croup 2nd and was admitted to the hospital the 3rd time with RSV, upper respiratory infection and pneumonia. No way did he get all of these illnesses within 17 hours!

I wouldnt terminate but what I would do is require a doctors note indicating the diagnosis and care plan ANY TIME a child goes to the doctor and STOP taking a parents word for it!!!
DCBlessings27 03:41 PM 03-14-2012
I don't think I'll terminate. I was just upset when I first typed my thread. I told all my families that I might have to close if dd has it. They were all okay with that thankfully.
MNMum 03:46 PM 03-14-2012
That's one of the things I hate about doing daycare, my family getting sick from the daycare kids. When we are the provider, it's easy to know where they got it from and be, well, upset about it. When I step back and take a look, even if I were working, they would still be exposed to the other kids in daycare, I just wouldn't know where it came from, or have the heads up about it. Also, when I was a SAHM, my kids still got routinely sick, as I was out at the mall or playdates, etc.

I hope your DD can kick this illness without it progressing to something else.
MrsB 05:29 PM 03-14-2012
I am so sorry your little girlie is sick I hope she recovers soon and it is nothing major. Pnuemonia can be a scary thing.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but pnuemonia is not contagious.

Pnuemonia is an infection of the lungs which can be caused by several different things. Both bacterial and viral infections. So the originial illness is the culprit!

Some infections are more prone to developing into pnuemonia like RSV, bronchitis, URIs, etc. Some people are more prone to developing Pnuemonia even after just a common head cold. Like Premies, Elderly, Smokers, Diabetics, and most importantly ANYONE who has had Pnuemonia previously.

For this reason, I would be upset that mom brought DCC to care with RSV, if in fact she knew he had it.

I would send out a letter to all DCFs letting them know how important it is to have a HEALTH daycare setting, especially since you have a child with a compromised immune system.

Because if you close to stay with DD in the hospital, it is going to be a much harder burden for them to find care for that amount of days, rather than just keep kid home.
Meyou 03:02 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I am so sorry your little girlie is sick I hope she recovers soon and it is nothing major. Pnuemonia can be a scary thing.

Pnuemonia is an infection of the lungs which can be caused by several different things. Both bacterial and viral infections. So the originial illness is the culprit!

Some infections are more prone to developing into pnuemonia like RSV, bronchitis, URIs, etc. Some people are more prone to developing Pnuemonia even after just a common head cold. Like Premies, Elderly, Smokers, Diabetics, and most importantly ANYONE who has had Pnuemonia previously.

For this reason, I would be upset that mom brought DCC to care with RSV, if in fact she knew he had it.

I would send out a letter to all DCFs letting them know how important it is to have a HEALTH daycare setting, especially since you have a child with a compromised immune system.

Because if you close to stay with DD in the hospital, it is going to be a much harder burden for them to find care for that amount of days, rather than just keep kid home.
I had a little one out with pneumonia last week. Her doctor recommended she stay home for 2 full days because he said she was contagious. She was on antibiotics. I'm sure he could have meant the virus that caused it was the contagion problem though. It came on really fast. She took long naps last Monday but was otherwise fine other than a little cough that sounded more like clearing her throat. By Tues am she was really sick and by Tues afternoon she was at emerg with pneumonia. Crazy.
MrsB 06:17 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I had a little one out with pneumonia last week. Her doctor recommended she stay home for 2 full days because he said she was contagious. She was on antibiotics. I'm sure he could have meant the virus that caused it was the contagion problem though. It came on really fast. She took long naps last Monday but was otherwise fine other than a little cough that sounded more like clearing her throat. By Tues am she was really sick and by Tues afternoon she was at emerg with pneumonia. Crazy.
Hmmm, maybe I stand corrected. Wouldn't be the first time!
DCBlessings27 08:53 AM 03-15-2012
DD went to the doctor. Thankfully, she does not have pneumonia again. She just has a cold, but the doctor said it was good to check since she had pneumonia recently. Now, I'll just pray for my dcg with the pneumonia.

Some pneumonia is contagious. When dd and I had it in January, they said we were contagious for a couple days.
blessingsbunch 11:13 AM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:

Any infection can be contagious...whether bacterial or viral...just depends on how well you try to prevent the spread.
Sunchimes 03:48 PM 03-21-2012
One of my dcg came back today (Wednesday) after being diagnosed with RSV and pneumonia last Thursday. Her mom said she had been fever free for 3 days. Yesterday the doctor cleared her for normal activities. DCM told him that her day care had a 6 week old infant and he said that she wasn't contagious and it would be fine.

She seemed fine all day--played, ate, everything normal. She has a bad cough, but it isn't constant, just now and then.

I kept her away from the baby and used gallons of sanitizer after every nose wipe when I couldn't get to the bathroom to wash.
Tags:contagious, pneumonia, sick policy, terminate - sick policy
Reply Up