Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bus Question - I Need Some Ideas!
bunnyslippers 08:31 AM 08-29-2012
My own son started full day kindergarten today. Someone needs to meet him at the bus stop when he comes home. I have a long driveway, but can see both the road and my house from either end. My child care is in my basement, and I have six children under the age of 3 in my program. How do you all handle this? I am not sure how to be in two places at once, and there is no one to help me. Thoughts?

I had originally planned on walking halfway down the driveway and adjusting nap time so the littles would still be sleeping - BUT, I take only teacher families, and they will be arriving at the same time as he is getting home. I would hate for them to think I was leaving their children alone....even though I would be right at the walkway. HELP!
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 08-29-2012
Does he need an adult to meet hom to get off the bus because the school district says so or because you do?

Have you considered a pair of walkie talkies?

My driveway is almost a full mile long and when my DS was Kindy age, he went home (rather than come to daycare). My DH worked from home but didn't always want to go meet the bus so we bought our DH a set of walkie-talkies (which made his whole year! ) and he was taught they needed to stay in his back pack at ALL times until he got off the bus.

He would then "radio" my DH that he was getting off the bus and walking up the drive.

He loved that part of the day best! It worked like a charm for us....Don't know how or if that would work at all for you but just a thought...
cheerfuldom 10:16 AM 08-29-2012
Can you not have the kids up and ready to go for parents BEFORE your son is dropped off? Then they are ready anyway since thats when the parents are coming?
melissa ann 10:26 AM 08-29-2012
My school district requires an adult to pick up kindergarten kids from the bus stop.
When I did childcare and to do bus trips when my dd was in kindy, the kids went along. I had an infant and 2 2 1/2yr olds and a 3 yr old. It wasn't easy in bad weather, but the bus stop was less than a half a block away.
laundrymom 10:44 AM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
My own son started full day kindergarten today. Someone needs to meet him at the bus stop when he comes home. I have a long driveway, but can see both the road and my house from either end. My child care is in my basement, and I have six children under the age of 3 in my program. How do you all handle this? I am not sure how to be in two places at once, and there is no one to help me. Thoughts?

I had originally planned on walking halfway down the driveway and adjusting nap time so the littles would still be sleeping - BUT, I take only teacher families, and they will be arriving at the same time as he is getting home. I would hate for them to think I was leaving their children alone....even though I would be right at the walkway. HELP!
Are there any other kids who get off at the stop? Maybe they could deliver him? For $$$
SunnyDay 10:50 AM 08-29-2012
I would explain the situation to the bus driver and see if you can just stand at the door and give her a wave so that she knows you're there.
e.j. 11:05 AM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:

I have a fairly long driveway, too. I used to bring all of the kids out with me if the weather was nice but on days when it was rainy or too cold, I would stand in the doorway and wave to the bus driver as she dropped my kids off.

If that won't work for you, do any of the teacher/dc moms arrive in time to meet the bus for you? Would one of them bring him down the driveway to you? While you get her child ready to go home, maybe she could bring your child in for you.

Glad to see you're back. I hope your summer was restful and that you're doing well healthwise.
sharlan 11:21 AM 08-29-2012
We used to have a wireless doorbell that I carried when we went into the backyard. I seem to recall that it worked up to 500'. Your son could push it as he got off the bus.
Reply Up