Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Do This...
Unregistered 08:15 AM 12-24-2012
I am closed today and Christmas day.. I was given the 26th off from a family since my parents are here.. well today she text and ask if she could bring him that day since she is working form home and has a house full. I told her no, I have plans. I did no mention to her but I do have my other one, but she can come with me, her parents don't mind me taking her with my parents to town... sightseeing...

If I have both, we are stuck here at home... would you have taken the other, or did what I did.. said sorry but no..
Blackcat31 02:26 PM 12-24-2012
I wouldn't have taken the child since the mom told you she didn't need you but I don't think I woul have lied about being closed.

I would have told the mom that she said she didn't need you and now you have plans with your parents and the DCK you do have and taking her child would have limited your ability to continue with the plans you already made.

What happens now if she some how finds out you were in fact open and did care for another child? I understand why you lied but I just think it is too much trouble and way too stressful to have to carry on with the lie so it would have been easier IMHO, just have just been honest from the start.

It's ok to tell a parent that you made plans since you only had 1 child scheduled and that you are not able to accommodate her "last minute" schedule request. (that's why having a due date for schedules is neccessary in this business)
cheerfuldom 04:35 PM 12-24-2012
yes, you should always have deadlines for schedules, so you arent stuck having to make these last minute decisions.
kitykids3 07:42 PM 12-24-2012
OP said she told mom she had plans, not closed. If you told them you had plans, then fine, I would have done it, cuz u DO have plans. That includes not taking on any other kiddos. However, I would not have said closed, for reasons pp said.
crazydaycarelady 11:35 AM 12-25-2012
If she originally said her kid wasn't coming then I wouldn't worry about it.

In the future just have this phrase on the tip of your tongue: "That won't work for me." Then you don't have to explain or tell a fib.
Kaddidle Care 11:43 AM 12-25-2012
The OP didn't lie - she said she had plans - which she does. I don't think there should be any problem with this.

If you feel guilty about it, give her a free floater day somewhere down the road.
Blackcat31 12:44 PM 12-25-2012
OP~ My apologies, I didn't mean to say you lied. I guess I read it too quickly and didn't fully comprehend....sorry.

I do understand why you feel badly though because you do have one child but don't want to take hers since you did have plans.

Nothing wrong with having plans and not acommodating a parent who already told you she wouldn't be needing you.

I was just wondering what would happen if she were to find out you did have another child in care that day. kwim? That's originally why I mentioned her thinking you were closed.

I had the same thing happen on Friday. I had plans with the few kids I did have and then had a mom of an infant ask if I would take her infant that day too.

She wasn't scheduled to have her child in care that day and the plans I had couldn't be done with an infant in care so I simply told her that.

No harm; no foul.
MamaG 04:45 AM 12-26-2012
I would have offered to take her but only if dcm didn't mind we had an outing planned. I would not change my plans. My van fits plenty so we would still have plenty of space. I'm not fond of last minute changes though.
mema 06:35 AM 12-26-2012
I just had this today too. I told the family that they weren't scheduled and we made plans with who was here. I wouldn't be able to take theirs because they don't like them doing what we have planned. Oh, then it was ok because they were just going shopping anyway.
Unregistered 01:39 PM 12-27-2012
as it turned out, my other mother did not bring hers either. I had asked her if she could find someone for Wednesday, so I could spend the last day with my family. She must have since I got up dress , because dad told me she would be here wed., and they did not show up. I was closed Mon and Tues, but decided to close Wednesday if and only if my parents has back up. I would have taken the other one with me if she would of come... but she didnt so ...

I did have plans, and we had a nice day... they left this morning and I have both today!
daycare 03:25 PM 12-27-2012
during the holidays or times that I know that I will have very few kids, I require that I have at least 3 families sign up for childcare on that day.

If I don't have at least 3 families sign up, then I will not open.

I always make sure that the parents have plenty of time to sign up for these days and if their name is not on the list by my cut off date, then sorry, your child can not attend.

I do this for the major holidays and sometimes for small holidays too if I know I have no plans.....
countrymom 05:23 PM 12-27-2012
for holidays I follow the same rule as everyday. You book me for the days you need, if no one books me, well then I'm closed. But if you book me and don't show up well then, you still pay me because I still got up and got ready.
Reply Up