Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Age Activities (Beach Theme)
kpa0627 08:00 PM 06-30-2010
I'm doing a beach theme next week and want some good ideas of activities/crafts to do with them. We are talking about under the sea and beaches next week. The boys are 6 & 7.
Michael 08:09 PM 06-30-2010
Some other Theme related posts: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15316
Pammie 03:52 AM 07-01-2010
How about these...

Mix play sand and white glue to a clay consistency. The kids can sculpt their own sand castles, and when the glue dries, the sand castle is permanent.

Make an under-the-sea painting with watercolors. Glue on little shells and sand for a 3-D effect.

Fun snack - make blue jello. pour into clear plastic cups. Allow the kids to add some gummy fish. Chill until set.

Cut out shapes of surf-boards out of posterboard. Have kids decorate them with paints/markers.

Make "beach bottles" out of empty 20oz water bottles. Remove the labels from the bottles. Have the kids add sand, small shells, pebbles, plastic fish-shaped toys or buttons. Add about 1/4 cup of baby oil and some glitter if desired. Fill bottle with water and a few drops of blue food coloring. Hot glue the lid back on the bottle.

Tye-Dye plain white towels from the $1store to make colorful beach towels.

Fish print t-shirts. Get a whole fish from the seafood dept of your grocery store (when I tell them what I'm using it for, I generally get it for free, or at least 50% off). Once home, wash the fish very, very well using cold, soapy water. Have the kids paint the fish using neon color fabric paint. Press the fish onto a plain white t-shirt (about $1/piece in packs of 5-6 at Target). Allow the fish print to dry.

Fishie game - create contests and games using the multi-colored goldfish crackers as the game tokens or prizes.

Hope something here helps
Unregistered 04:20 AM 07-01-2010
i love this site for ideas: http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/ just scroll down slightly and there is a huge list of projects/ideas on the right hand side. i like the way you can just click on it and view the project too. Nice and easy!
misol 06:27 AM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
How about these...

Mix play sand and white glue to a clay consistency. The kids can sculpt their own sand castles, and when the glue dries, the sand castle is permanent.

Make an under-the-sea painting with watercolors. Glue on little shells and sand for a 3-D effect.

Fun snack - make blue jello. pour into clear plastic cups. Allow the kids to add some gummy fish. Chill until set.

Cut out shapes of surf-boards out of posterboard. Have kids decorate them with paints/markers.

Make "beach bottles" out of empty 20oz water bottles. Remove the labels from the bottles. Have the kids add sand, small shells, pebbles, plastic fish-shaped toys or buttons. Add about 1/4 cup of baby oil and some glitter if desired. Fill bottle with water and a few drops of blue food coloring. Hot glue the lid back on the bottle.

Tye-Dye plain white towels from the $1store to make colorful beach towels.

Fish print t-shirts. Get a whole fish from the seafood dept of your grocery store (when I tell them what I'm using it for, I generally get it for free, or at least 50% off). Once home, wash the fish very, very well using cold, soapy water. Have the kids paint the fish using neon color fabric paint. Press the fish onto a plain white t-shirt (about $1/piece in packs of 5-6 at Target). Allow the fish print to dry.

Fishie game - create contests and games using the multi-colored goldfish crackers as the game tokens or prizes.

Hope something here helps
Pammie these are some great ideas. After reading your suggestions, I just decided that we are going to do a beach theme too!
GretasLittleFriends 05:20 PM 07-02-2010
A friend of mine told me how to make edible fishing poles... Not sure if it would fit in here or not... Candy is involved, so that may, too, be a no go...

Take a long pretzel rod (the ones that are about pinky finger thick). Tie a piece of licorice rope (like the thin Twizzler strand) around one end of the pretzel, cut the licorice rope so it's not too long, then tie in a gummie worm or a gummie fish. Viola a fishing pole.

This project was done as part of our summer reading program at the local library and it was a HUGE hit with the older kids. Of course they may have just liked the candy. They did have fun playing with them I was told...
Vesta 05:48 PM 07-03-2010
You can do an easy snack version of fishing also.
Use the little pretzel sticks, peanut butter or cream cheese and goldfish crackers.
They dip the end of the pretzel in the gooey stuff and then catch a fish with it.

It's entertaining to do this with Teddy Grahams too, especially if you've been singing Dr. Jean's "Bear Hunt" song.

You can also buy some sandpaper and cut it into all different shapes and sizes and let them make a sandpaper castles or collage. Seashells are fun on these.

We have cut out all sorts of paper sea life shapes (fish, jelly fish, octopus, sea stars, whatever else you can think of) and left them out with the water colors. It's fun to teach them wet-on-wet with this, let them use a damp sponge to make their shape wet and let them watch the water colors spread and blend when they paint or drop drips onto the paper.

If you have some play silks or scarves you can stuff a sock or another scarf into the middle of it and tie it off so it's like a ball with a tail. Tell them they are jellyfish and they can play jellyfish toss, jellyfish juggle, or just toss them up into the air to watch them float down.
Tags:themes
Reply Up