Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letter From the Department of Health
284878 01:28 PM 11-14-2014
I received a letter from the health department today, stating the I must weekly report any communicable disease. When I go to the link provided, it says that I must report any communicable disease with in 24 hours but does not say anything about weekly. (or at least I can not find it)
I went back through my state rules and regulation book and I can not fine any thing on it either. I went through my orientation paper work, nothing.

They sent one copy of a from that I am to fax or email weekly by 2pm on Fridays.

Has any one else every heard or had to do this?
I am also looking for where it says I have to do it weekly.
momofsix 07:14 PM 11-14-2014
I'm in MI too and haven't heard or seen anything like this at all. Sounds ridiculous to me anyhow.
melilley 08:10 PM 11-14-2014
I've only heard of providers in Ionia county getting a notice that they have to do this.
284878 05:41 AM 12-16-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I've only heard of providers in Ionia county getting a notice that they have to do this.
Do you know what they did about it? did they compile or question it?
Indoorvoice 06:48 AM 12-16-2014
I'm in Michigan too and also haven't heard of this. Following!
284878 07:14 AM 12-16-2014
I talked to my consultant during the inspection, she is just now hearing about this (I was not the first to mention to her but she had never heard of this before and she been a consultant for 4 years). She found the letter and the approach to be off, like I did. She agreed that they should let her and the other consultant in on what is going on since they get called on it also.

I have not called the health department myself. Waiting for them to contact me again.
(Note: I the letter is dated for 2 months after I was opened and the letter makes it sound like, I should of already known that I was to do this. It also does not say what will happen if I don't compile, as of today I have not reported and have not heard from them again)

So, I did more research on the links and info that is included in the letter from the health department and still do not find where I, a day care needs to report weekly. Just within 24 hours for suspecting a disease.

Here is the guide that I was told to read for a summery of the law can be found here, (hopefully the link will work)

http://michigan.gov/documents/hlth_c...e_167371_7.pdf

Here is the law the letter told me to reference

PUBLIC HEALTH CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 368 of 1978

333.5111 List of reportable diseases, infections, and disabilities; rules.

Sec. 5111.

(1) In carrying out its authority under this article, the department shall maintain a list of reportable diseases, infections, and disabilities that designates and classifies communicable, serious communicable, chronic, or noncommunicable diseases, infections, and disabilities. The department shall review and revise the list under this subsection at least annually.

(2) In carrying out its authority under this article, the department may promulgate rules to do any of the following:

(a) Establish requirements for reporting and other surveillance methods for measuring the occurrence of diseases, infections, and disabilities and the potential for epidemics. Rules promulgated under this subdivision may require a licensed health professional or health facility to submit to the department or a local health department, on a form provided by the department, a report of the occurrence of a communicable disease, serious communicable disease or infection, or disability. The rules promulgated under this subdivision may require a report to be submitted to the department not more than 24 hours after a licensed health professional or health facility determines that an individual has a serious communicable disease or infection.

(b) Investigate cases, epidemics, and unusual occurrences of diseases, infections, and situations with a potential for causing diseases.

(c) Establish procedures for control of diseases and infections, including, but not limited to, immunization and environmental controls.

(d) Establish procedures for the prevention, detection, and treatment of disabilities and rehabilitation of individuals suffering from disabilities or disease, including nutritional problems.

(e) Establish procedures for control of rabies and the disposition of nonhuman agents carrying disease, including rabid animals.

(f) Establish procedures for the reporting of known or suspected cases of lead poisoning or undue lead body burden.

(g) Designate communicable diseases or serious communicable diseases or infections for which local health departments are required to furnish care including, but not limited to, tuberculosis and venereal disease.

(h) Implement this part and parts 52 and 53 including, but not limited to, rules for the discovery, care, and reporting of an individual having or suspected of having a communicable disease or a serious communicable disease or infection, and to establish approved tests under section 5123 and approved prophylaxes under section 5125.

(3) The department shall promulgate rules to provide for the confidentiality of reports, records, and data pertaining to testing, care, treatment, reporting, and research associated with communicable diseases and serious communicable diseases or infections.
melilley 11:40 AM 12-16-2014
Originally Posted by 284878:
Do you know what they did about it? did they compile or question it?
I don't think they did anything about it. One of the providers called and asked questions and it really came down to the head nurse wanting providers to report weekly so she won't have to do so much at her job. It was a while ago so I can't remember specifically what she said.
284878 12:47 PM 12-16-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I don't think they did anything about it. One of the providers called and asked questions and it really came down to the head nurse wanting providers to report weekly so she won't have to do so much at her job. It was a while ago so I can't remember specifically what she said.
- Just as thought it is a crock. If it was law they would of quoted the law that says I have too. Thank you for your feedback. I will just file this letter away for awhile and see if they ever follow through this request. But I doubt they will.
earlystart 02:58 PM 12-16-2014
it sounds like you only have to report if there is currently a communicable disease in your program...now the only question is if it's supposed to be within 24 hours, or if you have until the end of the week to do it. So if there isn't any communicable disease going on, then you don't have to report that weekly.
284878 02:02 PM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
- Just as thought it is a crock. If it was law they would of quoted the law that says I have too. Thank you for your feedback. I will just file this letter away for awhile and see if they ever follow through this request. But I doubt they will.
They did follow up with 2 letters this year, both worded differently than last year but still saying that I am required by law to report weekly. I emailed them and asked where was the law that stated I do this weekly. She admitted that it was not law but a request to contact her weekly and she admitted that she worded the letters wrong. She says that she will word them better next year and that I will not get another one this year.
nannyde 03:04 PM 11-12-2015
Nuttin to report cept rampant "teething, allergies, ear infections, car sickness, I fed them too much, and blocked tear ducts"
laundrymom 06:48 PM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Nuttin to report cept rampant "teething, allergies, ear infections, car sickness, I fed them too much, and blocked tear ducts"
I literally just spit my yoohoo out. Lololol
CalCare 07:33 PM 11-12-2015
Don't forget the growing pains!
Reply Up