Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT - Is This tacky?
Hunni Bee 09:28 PM 06-24-2013
Several people I went to high school with have had baby girls in the past year.

I planned to do a lot more thrift store and yard sale shopping this spring but it just didn't happen.

Now I find myself where I swore I wouldn't be...at crunch time with nothing ready. All I have for my baby is a car seat and a few items of clothing. I was diagnosed with placenta Previa on top of everything else last week, and I'm getting to the end of my proverbial rope. I can barely stand by 3 pm anymore...

Anyway, I was thinking of posting a FB status saying if anyone had any items for a baby girl they want to go to good use, I'd be grateful to take them...but it sounds a little beggy to me.

There's not going to be a shower so I'm not depending on that...

Would you do it?
earlystart 09:50 PM 06-24-2013
I would totally do it, but maybe word it so that you're offering to buy second hand items not just looking for freebies. I'm sure many people would just say you can have it for free. Just mention you were expecting to be able to get around more than you're able to with the complications but now you can't make it to all the yard sales and thrift shops you had planned on. I think friends will understand and some would be willing to help out, I know I did when all my friends started having babies at the same time as me.
Starburst 09:57 PM 06-24-2013
I don't find anything wrong with that. Heck, an old friend of mine got a bunch of boy clothes from a lady she used to nanny (years before she even had her baby); her baby was a girl but some stuff was gender neutral. That's the cool thing about having a girl, some boys clothes work for girls too!

At my local $1 store they have a bunch of BPA free bottles/binkies/teething rings, tear-free shampoos, burp cloths, blankets, clothing hangers, gentle music CDs, socks, onsies (pink, white, and blue), and swim suits for baby girls- try checking $1/$0.99 stores. Also look on craigslist because sometimes people give things away for free or sell them for really cheap. I got a really nice and sturdy wooden antique changing table for $15 (and saw someone else was selling a gently used PNP for $25). Also see if you have any ma and pa general type stores, sometimes they have interesting things for babies/children.
Sugar Magnolia 03:26 AM 06-25-2013
Not tacky! I'd totally do that! I also had placenta previa, you need to be very careful! Please take it light!
I'd also hit up craigslist, some people practically giving baby items away on there!
Do you have a freecycle group there?
SilverSabre25 04:49 AM 06-25-2013
Definitely do it! Many people are MORE than glad to off load old baby stuff. You'll probably end up with enough for three babies
countrymom 06:06 AM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Definitely do it! Many people are MORE than glad to off load old baby stuff. You'll probably end up with enough for three babies
becareful what you wish for
Lefse&Kids 06:23 AM 06-25-2013
I agree, post it and don't worry about looking tacky...If they are actually your friends then they will not think its tacky but look at it as an opportunity to help out.

Wish I could help, just had my last baby boy and am looking to load off. :-)

The things I couldn't go without with a newborn are..

..about 10 bottles (make enough to last all day) unless your breastfeeding.

Onsies, they'll be pooping and peeing through them that cute outfits need not apply for a couple months.

A Boppy and a bouncer.

Also Pack n plays work great in place of cribs. After 3 babies, I wish I never wasted money on a crib.
AfterSchoolMom 06:23 AM 06-25-2013
I don't see a problem with it at all. In fact, I responded to a similar post on Facebook from an acquaintance of mine, and ended up giving her ALL of my infant clothes and equipment for free. I was happy to get it out of the house and to know that it would go to good use!

Take care of yourself!
Hunni Bee 07:52 AM 06-25-2013
Thanks ladies!

And Earlystart, I was thinking about doing just that, offering to buy them.

I'm going to purchase the PNP myself because there's a specific one I want. But onesies, sleepers, socks, sheets, etc...used would be lovely. A lady from my old job gave us enough clothes when my nephew was born in November 2009, that we didn't buy anything until the spring.
SilverSabre25 07:55 AM 06-25-2013
i got enough hand me downs for DS that in 2 years I haven't had to buy much, mostly just filling in gaps and for things that wore out (elastic in shorts, etc)
jenn 07:56 AM 06-25-2013
Not tacky at all!

Some of your friends may have things they would love to get rid of, but don't offer due to not wanting to sound tacky themselves. I have a really good friend that was more than willing to give me hand me downs for my daughter, but was sheepish to ask if I wanted them, fearing that I would be offended.

You could just explain that due to being busy and having some unexpected medical issues, you didn't get a chance to pick up everything you need for your new little one. You could ask if anyone has anything they want to get rid of or sell at a reasonable price.
Hunni Bee 08:06 AM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Not tacky! I'd totally do that! I also had placenta previa, you need to be very careful! Please take it light!
I'd also hit up craigslist, some people practically giving baby items away on there!
Do you have a freecycle group there?
Really, Sugar?

When they told me I had Previa, I asked very earnestly both sets of my doctors, what did that mean for the rest of my pregnancy. They both just said if I start bleeding go straight to the hospital. They were pretty nonchalant about it.

But I'm still working 10 hour days...I try not to lift stuff but occasionally I have to because I'm one of the first ones there and last to leave. And I still have to do a lot of standing, bending, etc.... I would hate to be putting myself and baby at risk, especially when I asked the doctors
daycare 08:21 AM 06-25-2013
I don't think that it is tacky at all....

I became a mother over night and had NOTHING for my child. (long story)
I was very young, broke and had ZERO family support.

NOt to age myself, but the internet was just starting to exist, so I couldn't just post something or look on Craigs List etc.

I hung fliers around my college, I called friends that I knew might be able to help. I was a little embarrassed to ask, but I was also desperate.

YOu would be surprised at the amount of help I got.

Also, do you belong to a church? They will help you, mine did.
Starburst 09:48 AM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by Lefse&Kids:
Also Pack n plays work great in place of cribs. After 3 babies, I wish I never wasted money on a crib.
Bassinets are also cheaper than cribs- they usually cost the same (sometimes a little cheaper) than a PNP but are usually for newborns under 6 months (depending on the type). there are some that are portible or come with a portible feature, rockers, a semi co-sleeper option, and changing tables/diaper storage.
Kaddidle Care 04:37 AM 07-02-2013
Don't be afraid to ask. If you are in need, do let your local Pastor know. They are very good about asking the Congregation for items for folks that prefer to remain anonymous.

Clothes and baby items are abundant at Garage sales. While I wouldn't suggest you head out to them yourself at this stage, ask a friend or relative if they would keep an eye out for you. There are folks (like my husband) that routinely go to garage sales in search of specific items. He skips many garage sales because he can tell just driving by it's all baby stuff.

As far as clothing - people are more than willing to pass along things and are happy to give them new homes. Be careful as you will be swimming in extra clothes for your little one. My neighbor has 7 children and she pretty much only buys shoes for the kids because so many people give her clothes.
itlw8 09:14 AM 07-02-2013
In most areas there is an organization that is there to support mothers and infants. If you qualify for wic they can put you in touch They often will find clothes diapers and what ever the family needs

But no it is not tacky you are saving the earth by reusing infant stuff
melilley 11:06 AM 07-02-2013
Not tacky at all!
I always see if the people I know on FB have any thing that I need, usually for the daycare. I just put something along the lines of "does anyone have any _________ that they want to get rid of"?. Or I am looking for _______ if anyone has any they want to get rid of or sell for a reasonable price. Sometimes people want to get rid of stuff so they just give it to you or will sell it cheaply priced or they know someone. Ask away!
AmyKidsCo 04:12 PM 07-02-2013
I don't think it's tacky, but I agree that you should say that you're willing to buy the items.

And definitely take it easy and rest!
Hunni Bee 06:27 AM 07-04-2013
Okay...I tried it.

The one person that responded (actually one of the moms who I hoped would see it) directed me to Once Upon A Child- a children's thrift/consignment store for those who aren't familiar. I want to hope she misunderstood my intention and wasn't saying "stop begging on Facebook" in a roundabout way, which was why I was hesitant to do in the first place....

I thanked her and politely reiterated what I meant, sooo...

I did say in the original post that I was willing to buy the items btw
Lyss 08:16 AM 07-04-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Okay...I tried it.

The one person that responded (actually one of the moms who I hoped would see it) directed me to Once Upon A Child- a children's thrift/consignment store for those who aren't familiar. I want to hope she misunderstood my intention and wasn't saying "stop begging on Facebook" in a roundabout way, which was why I was hesitant to do in the first place....

I thanked her and politely reiterated what I meant, sooo...

I did say in the original post that I was willing to buy the items btw
Maybe she was just trying to help suggest good places? Or maybe that's where she just sold her baby stuff too? in our area its the only secondhand kids shop that buys, rather than consignment, so a lot of people I know take stuff there first. Personally I think Once Upon a Child is a bit overpriced (at least for what it offers in my area) because of this, the other kids consignment stores in town are much more reasonable.

I don't think its begging at all! Baby stuff is only useful for a short period but people like to stock up or get tons as gifts. Some local consignment stores here wont even take 0-6mo sizes except very occasionally because the get so much of it. I gave away a bunch to a friend on fb (I don't trust craigslist anymore, the last person "in need" showed up I a Lexus SUV ) and still have more I'm trying to get rid of (larger sizes).

Don't feel bad! Maybe you'll get some messages from other friends on Facebook today!
Hunni Bee 09:32 AM 07-04-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
Maybe she was just trying to help suggest good places? Or maybe that's where she just sold her baby stuff too? in our area its the only secondhand kids shop that buys, rather than consignment, so a lot of people I know take stuff there first. Personally I think Once Upon a Child is a bit overpriced (at least for what it offers in my area) because of this, the other kids consignment stores in town are much more reasonable.

I don't think its begging at all! Baby stuff is only useful for a short period but people like to stock up or get tons as gifts. Some local consignment stores here wont even take 0-6mo sizes except very occasionally because the get so much of it. I gave away a bunch to a friend on fb (I don't trust craigslist anymore, the last person "in need" showed up I a Lexus SUV ) and still have more I'm trying to get rid of (larger sizes).

Don't feel bad! Maybe you'll get some messages from other friends on Facebook today!
We have a ton of children's consignment shops here...all way overpriced because people here tend to be able to afford designer baby clothes...sorry, not interested in paying $15 for a used Ralph Lauren onesie

What I've found in Goodwill and some of the lower end thrift stores was over-washed, stained, and not stuff I was willing to pay even $2 for.

So its one end or the other here...thats why I was looking for moms giving away/selling stuff. I'm still hopeful
littlemissmuffet 10:26 AM 07-04-2013
When I found out we were having a girl, I posted a status on facebook asking anyone who had baby clothing for sale for 0-12 months to let me know and I'd come take a look. I got lots of responses and ended up buying quite a bit of inexpensive, good quality (some never even worn!) clothing this way - and nobody thought it was tacky - it is social media, afterall! I don't think it's tacky as long as you're not asking for free items. We also live NEXT TO a thrift store with plenty of good condition clothing, so I'm extremely lucky.

I agree with those who recommend websites like craiglist as well! What about asking in mom groups on facebook? When is baby due - can you garage sale this upcoming weekend?

Oh, and about placenta previa - I am SHOCKED your doctors were so nonchalant - I've had two different daycare moms with this condition - both gave birth more than 6 weeks early, and both almost lost their babies - one DCM was in the hopsital for the last 8 weeks of her pregnancy on bed rest. It can be extremely serious. PLEASE, take it easy!
Lyss 11:46 AM 07-04-2013
We have a ton of children's consignment shops here...all way overpriced because people here tend to be able to afford designer baby clothes...sorry, not interested in paying $15 for a used Ralph Lauren onesie

What I've found in Goodwill and some of the lower end thrift stores was over-washed, stained, and not stuff I was willing to pay even $2 for.

So its one end or the other here...thats why I was looking for moms giving away/selling stuff. I'm still hopeful
I have that same issue with goodwill and another large thrift store here, they take anything and some of it really just needs to be trashed not sold!

Is there a local moms/garage sale Facebook group or freecycle group near you? We have a local clothing swap FB group so people post what they want or have and its either trade or free. One of my DCMs swears by it, she trades and donates on it (I've never used it but its over 500 members). There's also a local garage sale group where I frequently see infant clothes for $1-$3. I've gotten pretty good stuff off Freecycle for my DD. Maybe some of these will have more reasonable prices?
Hunni Bee 12:21 PM 07-04-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
I have that same issue with goodwill and another large thrift store here, they take anything and some of it really just needs to be trashed not sold!

Is there a local moms/garage sale Facebook group or freecycle group near you? We have a local clothing swap FB group so people post what they want or have and its either trade or free. One of my DCMs swears by it, she trades and donates on it (I've never used it but its over 500 members). There's also a local garage sale group where I frequently see infant clothes for $1-$3. I've gotten pretty good stuff off Freecycle for my DD. Maybe some of these will have more reasonable prices?
Freecycle loads my email daily but I never thought to look on there for baby stuff

I found a couple moms trying to sell their daughters entire wardrobe on Craigslist. I got one of them to agree to break it up for me, so hopeful about that. If that pans out, my little one will be set clothing wise.

Thanks for your suggestion of Craigslist
TheGoodLife 06:45 PM 07-04-2013
Freecycle loads my email daily but I never thought to look on there for baby stuff

I found a couple moms trying to sell their daughters entire wardrobe on Craigslist. I got one of them to agree to break it up for me, so hopeful about that. If that pans out, my little one will be set clothing wise.

Thanks for your suggestion of Craigslist
I just found on FB a bunch af area "craigslist" style groups. I live in Omaha, and we have "Omaha Buy/Sell/Trade", then there's similar pages for different suburb areas around here ("Gretna Buy/Sell/Trade" "Millard Buy..." you get the picture ) Maybe you have similar groups for your area? You can post ISO (in search of) and search if anyone is selling- many people sell in big lots of clothing! Good luck!!!
Hunni Bee 07:05 PM 07-04-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
When I found out we were having a girl, I posted a status on facebook asking anyone who had baby clothing for sale for 0-12 months to let me know and I'd come take a look. I got lots of responses and ended up buying quite a bit of inexpensive, good quality (some never even worn!) clothing this way - and nobody thought it was tacky - it is social media, afterall! I don't think it's tacky as long as you're not asking for free items. We also live NEXT TO a thrift store with plenty of good condition clothing, so I'm extremely lucky.

I agree with those who recommend websites like craiglist as well! What about asking in mom groups on facebook? When is baby due - can you garage sale this upcoming weekend?

Oh, and about placenta previa - I am SHOCKED your doctors were so nonchalant - I've had two different daycare moms with this condition - both gave birth more than 6 weeks early, and both almost lost their babies - one DCM was in the hopsital for the last 8 weeks of her pregnancy on bed rest. It can be extremely serious. PLEASE, take it easy!
Yes I thought it was strange too. I go to two different sets of doctors and they both were blase about it. From what I researched, if I go into preterm labor or my cervix compromises for whatever reason, I could bleed very badly.

At my last appointment, my doctor actually forgot about it! True it was my other doctors who diagnosed it, but he totally knew about it. He was like, oh you probably can do a vaginal birth because your fibroids have moved. I was like with Previa?? And he goes oh no, no, not with Previa!

He finally did tell me to go on pelvic rest, but I'm still worried. I try to take it easy, but work is still work.
Reply Up