Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summer Camp
booroo 04:57 PM 05-15-2010
Ok as most of you know or not, I took the summer activities director for the summer camp!! This is another for profit organization and was looking for fun raiser ideas; well I didn't having at the time , I hate being put on the spot!! Anyway so I was thinking maybe 1 day week for the summer doing drama!! I thought I could find a play or some skitsand have the kids learn the lines, build a set and then do a dinner theater, sell tickets serve supper and the have kids do the play!!

So what do you all think, good idea or not????? Ages are mainly 5 to 12 with my 2 year the only exception!!

Also, do any of you have website to go to to find plays or skits??
originalkat 07:44 AM 05-16-2010
I think it sounds like a good idea. But, it is a TON of work to get something like that together. I have done it before and trying to get it all together for an end of summer production could be hard. And dont forget to factor in the expense to do all the food make a set etc... It all adds up quickly.
HeatherB 10:45 AM 05-16-2010
Does sound like a ton of work... we have a summer camp close by our house sponsered by the YMCA.. they have a talent show at the end of camp year...it is a blast to watch.. I would pay to see it..

Maybe community services... pulling weeds, mowing, gardening..do senoirs or house bound ppl in the neighborhood. Selling pizza cards.. contact local pizza shop.. pizza hut and cici's help out in out town. Sometimes cici's dontate a certain percent of sales on a certain day to your organzation BUT they kids have to buss the tables.. EASY
missnikki 07:07 AM 05-17-2010
The only problem I see with a play is that you need absolute guarantees of attendance. The talent show idea is a little more flexible, and you can add/ cut acts as needed for kids who are absent, didn't practice, whatever...
If you're looking for a long-term project that will include parents at the end, try weekly dance lessons with a recital, magic lessons with a final show, basic music recital using homemade instruments, cooking lessons with a dinner party...
A play is a bit of a commitment. If you can pull it off, it would probably be fantastic!!!
For fundraisers, we do 'family movie night' at nightfall once a month. (We have a projector) We string up a large white sheet outside, and throw a movie on it. We sell popcorn, drinks, etc. The kids help serve, decorate, clean up. The parents can bring folding chairs, blankets, etc. We charge for admission, and for snacks.
booroo 12:47 PM 05-17-2010
Thanks for all the input!! I think I have come up with an idea!! Of course we are going to do a dinner, I will incorporate cooking with the kids and serving!! But we are going to do pet rock weeks!! I'm going to take them out and they are going to find there rock, decorate their rock, then come up with a sales pitch for their pet rock!!! At the dinner, each kid will present their rock and pitch, then we will gave an auction on the pets!!
originalkat 03:20 PM 05-17-2010
That is a cute idea. I also like the talent show idea...both are more flexible than a play.
Tags:summer camp
Reply Up