Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kinda Bummed :(
MichellesKiddos 10:51 AM 12-27-2011
For the kids' crafts this year we made hand print calendars for their parents. With all of my part time kids plus my own there was 8 of them Anyways, they turned out REALLY cute, we even wrapped them all up and sent them home for the parents to open on Christmas. I had spent well over a month working on this project with the kids (working on it a little bit each week). Out of all of my parents, only ONE has said something about them! I know the kids loved doing them and had a blast, but I have to say my feelings are kinda hurt..even though I know I shouldn't let it bother me. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing them next year..if they don't even appreciate something that CLEARLY took me a lot of time (my own time as well) to complete. OK, rant over. I'll put on my big girl panties and get back to my day Just wanted to vent to somebody who maybe knows or has experienced how I'm feeling. Hope everyone had a great holiday!
daycare 11:08 AM 12-27-2011
I know that a lot of us can relate to how you are feeling..Big hugs...

One word of advice, if you are going to do things from now on, do them for the kids only. Don't do it for the parents, do it because you love to see the kids having fun and learning.

I cant even tell you how many times I have done things for the parents and never even got a thank you at all...In fact I got complaints instead......
WImom 11:12 AM 12-27-2011
Sorry to hear that.

It's like that every year here. I stopped doing gifts that take along time on my part because of this. The kids still do something nice but easy.
Lucy 11:28 AM 12-27-2011
Originally Posted by MichellesKiddos:
For the kids' crafts this year we made hand print calendars for their parents. With all of my part time kids plus my own there was 8 of them Anyways, they turned out REALLY cute, we even wrapped them all up and sent them home for the parents to open on Christmas. I had spent well over a month working on this project with the kids (working on it a little bit each week). Out of all of my parents, only ONE has said something about them! I know the kids loved doing them and had a blast, but I have to say my feelings are kinda hurt..even though I know I shouldn't let it bother me. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing them next year..if they don't even appreciate something that CLEARLY took me a lot of time (my own time as well) to complete. OK, rant over. I'll put on my big girl panties and get back to my day Just wanted to vent to somebody who maybe knows or has experienced how I'm feeling. Hope everyone had a great holiday!
We made an ornament with their picture in it that took days, and not one person said something about it. I spent $15 to make 5 of them. I asked the 8 yr old if Mom liked the ornament, and he said "Um, I'm not sure. I didn't see it." It does make me hurt a little, but whatever. I do it for the kids, right? That's what I keep telling myself. I don't know... I just think if it were me as the parent, I would make sure I said something to the Provider about it.
snbauser 11:45 AM 12-27-2011
I agree with the above. Don't do it for the parents, do it for the kids. I do a ton and out of the 11 parents maybe get 3 or 4 thanks/compliments when we send stuff home. The rest don't say a word. Last Mother's Day I did individual cd's of each kid set to music for the mom's. Each cd required about 60 pictures of just their kid, times 11 kids and that is a whole lot of pictures and time to create them. I only got maybe 3 comments from parents. I long ago gave up expecting any type of response. One of my teachers was upset that I only got about 4 thank you's for the Christmas gifts I bought the kids this year. I just kept telling her that I don't let it bother me. I was excited to see the kids faces when they opened them and that is all the thanks I needed.
melskids 11:54 AM 12-27-2011
I agree with the others. Anything you do..ever...is for the kids. Even if it gets tossed afterwards, know that they had fun and learned something while doing it. Thats all that matters.
Kaddidle Care 02:20 PM 12-27-2011
I bet most of the Daycare gifts are still in their cars. They'll get them eventually.
CheekyChick 03:01 PM 12-27-2011
I'm sorry.

People can be so rude.
Ariana 04:01 PM 12-27-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I'm sorry.

People can be so rude.
This I don't know why some parents treat their DCP's with such a lack of respect.
Lucy 09:11 PM 12-27-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
We made an ornament with their picture in it that took days, and not one person said something about it. I spent $15 to make 5 of them. I asked the 8 yr old if Mom liked the ornament, and he said "Um, I'm not sure. I didn't see it." It does make me hurt a little, but whatever. I do it for the kids, right? That's what I keep telling myself. I don't know... I just think if it were me as the parent, I would make sure I said something to the Provider about it.
I quoted myself, LOL. I have to add to this. I asked one of the parents today, "Hey, did Susie give you that star ornament with the picture?" She goes "Uh.... yeah." I said "It actually ended up to be more work by my husband and me, but the kids DID pose for the picture and glue the noodles on!" I think I got a "huh" in response, but that was it.

Again, it's for the kids, but jeez. It really does make a statement when they don't show appreciation for anything. It says that I am expected to do these things, and that they aren't required to even acknowledge my extra efforts. Sigh..........
Candyland 11:28 PM 12-27-2011
Sadly, some parents are just too busy with their own lives to notice anything their child comes home with.
Other parents are thrilled with their child's work.
If you haven't heard from the parent what they thought about their gift...like everyone has suggested...let it go...just do it for the kids if you choose to continue making these special moments.
melskids 03:09 AM 12-28-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I quoted myself, LOL. I have to add to this. I asked one of the parents today, "Hey, did Susie give you that star ornament with the picture?" She goes "Uh.... yeah." I said "It actually ended up to be more work by my husband and me, but the kids DID pose for the picture and glue the noodles on!" I think I got a "huh" in response, but that was it.

Again, it's for the kids, but jeez. It really does make a statement when they don't show appreciation for anything. It says that I am expected to do these things, and that they aren't required to even acknowledge my extra efforts. Sigh..........
This is exactly why I don't do cookie cutter crafts or parent pleasers.

But sometimes, when I get a parent who doesn't appreciate their childs work, I make sure to make a BIG deal about it at pick up time in front of the child...how beautiful it is, how hard they worked on it, etc. That way, the parent acknowleges it right then and there, in front of their child.

I will go on...and on...and on...and on about it. So my parents have learned pretty quickly that they better acknowledge their child first, before complaining about their own day or chatting on their cell phone.
MichellesKiddos 04:15 AM 12-28-2011
So at pick-up yesterday I mentioned something to one of the other parents, asking if the girls enjoyed their gifts. THEN she finally said something about the calendars (that she cried when she opened them and so on), I'm thinking OK, you have that type of reaction but it takes me prompting you to even say THANK YOU?..OH Well. I've come to the conclusion that the parents that don't say anything at all are just too wrapped up in their own things to even acknowledge all of the hard work that the kids and I put into these crafts. You guys are right though, I should do it for the kids and only the kids (not that I was doing it for the parents approval anyways). That was the first BIG project we had done since I've started, and I thought that most of the parents were pretty good about those things...guess I was wrong. Next time I'll try to not even expect a thank you...even though that's pretty hard Especially considering I've grown up with the attitude that if someone does something nice for you, its only common decency to say Thank You..apparently these parents don't feel the same, as crappy as that is.
momma2girls 05:57 AM 12-28-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
Sorry to hear that.

It's like that every year here. I stopped doing gifts that take along time on my part because of this. The kids still do something nice but easy.
I am with you here. I used to do so much more starting at age 2, not anymore!!
mismatchedsocks 06:20 AM 12-28-2011
I feel your hurt. I am a big personalization person, because my name was not found when I was a kid, so I couldnt get a pencil with my name or anything. Now I have a lot of kids with Unusual names or spellings. I had to order their christmas presents and I know the kids loved them, but I even had to ask the kids "so did you open the present I got you?" they said yea, and loved it" but not so much as a word from parents. I will however start having the kids open them here before they go so I can see their face when they open it.
countrymom 06:40 AM 12-28-2011
this bugs me too. I love seeing how excited the kids are when we do crafts, heck they sit at the table and wait, but its the parents that don't care. Which is kinda of sad. My own kids bring home stuff and I always ask them about it or I hang it up on the fridge or in the daycare room and my kids are school agers. Heck I still post tests that are good, its the acknowledgement that matters.
busymommy0420 10:11 AM 12-28-2011
We made 9 handmade crafts each and I wrapped them to the parent from the child. I received one text out of the three families thanking me and how great they were. Oh well. I wrapped myself the crafts my two daughters did and will treasure them always. I also can't wait to tell them when they are older that these are crafts we did together because I stayed home fulltime to take care of them.
frgsonmysox 03:13 PM 12-31-2011
Honestly, until I started reading these threads it never occurred to me as a parent to thank the person who organized the craft. My kids bring home stuff like this all the time (I actually got a handprint calendar from my daughter) and I gush about it to THEM but never thought to say a word to the adult who helped them. I wouldn't take it personally, it may just not have occurred to them to thank YOU for it when the gift was from their child.
Blackcat31 03:18 PM 12-31-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:
Honestly, until I started reading these threads it never occurred to me as a parent to thank the person who organized the craft. My kids bring home stuff like this all the time (I actually got a handprint calendar from my daughter) and I gush about it to THEM but never thought to say a word to the adult who helped them. I wouldn't take it personally, it may just not have occurred to them to thank YOU for it when the gift was from their child.
VERY good point!
momofboys 06:41 PM 12-31-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:

True, but when an in-home provider is making crafts with 6-7 kids that's a LOT of work involved to help these kids. Sure, the kid is making it but often times it is with a lot of guidance from the provider. Yes, we do it for the kids but we also would appreciate acknowledgement every once in a while & thanks for providing fun activities for the kids.
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 01-01-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
True, but when an in-home provider is making crafts with 6-7 kids that's a LOT of work involved to help these kids. Sure, the kid is making it but often times it is with a lot of guidance from the provider. Yes, we do it for the kids but we also would appreciate acknowledgement every once in a while & thanks for providing fun activities for the kids.
Yes, but if a parent has never done daycare or worked in this capacity how are they suppose to know how much hard work and effort was put into the craft?

Plus if the child did the craft and not the provider, the thanks should go to the child not the provider.

It is the same concept as your child's teacher at school, she is often NEVER thanked for planning the daily curriculum, activities and all the "governing" of the classroom she does so why are child care providers any different?

We view what teachers do as all part of their job so we don't thank them on a regular basis or even acknowledge all the things they do above and beyond, after all they are being paid to do those things right? As a parent, I would feel the same way about my child care provider. Just sayin.....
momofboys 10:27 AM 01-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, but if a parent has never done daycare or worked in this capacity how are they suppose to know how much hard work and effort was put into the craft?

Plus if the child did the craft and not the provider, the thanks should go to the child not the provider.

It is the same concept as your child's teacher at school, she is often NEVER thanked for planning the daily curriculum, activities and all the "governing" of the classroom she does so why are child care providers any different?

We view what teachers do as all part of their job so we don't thank them on a regular basis or even acknowledge all the things they do above and beyond, after all they are being paid to do those things right? As a parent, I would feel the same way about my child care provider. Just sayin.....
I get where you are coming from. My only point was if these are quite young children I was thinking it would be obvious the child didn;t really do the craft all by themselves - that's all I meant. That it was apparently with a lot of help. Totally different when you are talking about a preschool-age child or kid in grade school And my kids' school teachers are paid a whole heck of a lot more than I ever will be! :-) (& my kids don't typically do crafts in school & have no art class either - they do crafts at home with mom!)
MichellesKiddos 12:21 PM 01-01-2012

I totally get where you are coming from on this, but all of my kids are right around 2 years old...So the project was clearly done mostly by me. Although I don't fully agree with it, because I would've said thank-you. In this instance, it was quite a bit more than just organizing this craft. OH well, on to a new year and new things! Hope everyone has a great year as well!
karen 10:39 AM 01-03-2012
I agree with you!!!! This year my kids made....
Picture frame from oriental trading complete with silly picture I dressed the kids up like Christmas trees and took their pic to put inside.
Christmas tree ornament from oriental trading
Clay Handprint
Chritmas handprint card from oriental trading
Yearly calendar that the kids decorated
Not one THANK YOU! NOPE NOT ONE!
Also bought each kid two gifts from a store called 5 below so I spent 10 dollars on each child UGH! It really kills me how unappreciative parents are! OH and 2 of my parents owe me money!!!!!
YAY PARENTS!
Sorry I am being so sarcastic today!
Tags:calendar, christmas crafts, christmas gifts parents
Reply Up