Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Need Help Planning 2 Year Old Activity
dEHmom 05:58 AM 11-15-2012
Hi All!
I've missed you, and see that a lot has changed on here. I've been working really hard on my course, and have less than 2 weeks less to finish. But I am VERY stuck on one of the assignments and thought this is the best place to get help.

This is the assignment below.

Consider what you would need to provide or set-up in the environment to support the interests and developmental skills of the children.

Observation: 2 yr old sitting in sandbox. Takes off her shoe and fills it with sand. She tries to put her foot in but it doesn't fit. She dumps out the shoe and begins to fill it with sand again.

Plan an activity for each area below..
Science
Art
Music
Literature
Movement

I can combine say music and movement into one, but it has to be very clear that both are in there.

I have been working on this for a very long time. I've gone through resource books, talked to my sister (who is a teacher) and gone through curriculum books they have for kindergarteners, but it has to be much more simple since this is a 2 year old. I have lost all ideas on this. For science area, I figured sensory trays filled with different cups, scoops, and say rice or flour would satisfy the filling and emptying. Or I also thought different sized cups/containers where they can try fit them inside of each other.

Any thoughts on activities I can plan for each area?
dEHmom 07:12 AM 11-15-2012
I've even gone through all my kids songs to try find a good song with actions that may have to do with sizes or fitting things and i haven't found any.
dEHmom 09:05 AM 11-15-2012
14 views and no one has any suggestions? I am desperate for some help, and the only people I know who work with many infants/toddlers would be everyone here!
Michael 10:30 AM 11-15-2012
Hey, welcome back! Here are some earlier threads on activities for two year olds https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...s+-+2+year+old
dEHmom 10:37 AM 11-15-2012
Thanks Michael, didn't help me though :S

I'm more so stuck for music and art part of it. Any song ideas? craft ideas?
Michael 10:40 AM 11-15-2012
Try using our Tags search? https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php
dEHmom 10:43 AM 11-15-2012
yep I tried. I've found some good stuff, but not stuff I can really use for the activities. Maybe i'll just fail this assignment, I'm sitting at an A right now, so I can settle for less, I just like getting A's on everything.
Crystal 02:35 PM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
Hi All!
I've missed you, and see that a lot has changed on here. I've been working really hard on my course, and have less than 2 weeks less to finish. But I am VERY stuck on one of the assignments and thought this is the best place to get help.

This is the assignment below.

Consider what you would need to provide or set-up in the environment to support the interests and developmental skills of the children.

Observation: 2 yr old sitting in sandbox. Takes off her shoe and fills it with sand. She tries to put her foot in but it doesn't fit. She dumps out the shoe and begins to fill it with sand again.

Plan an activity for each area below..

Science - Add measuring cups, a variety of different size containers, funnels, etc. to the sandbox.

Art -Huge paper with a large shape cut out of the center of it for painting/drawing

Music - Any song that requires movement in a small space.....Going on a bear hunt, Classical music while balancing peacock feathers on hands, etc.

Literature- Books on spatial relationships (just google it)

Movement -an obstacle course outdoors that requires going in/over/under/around/etc.

I can combine say music and movement into one, but it has to be very clear that both are in there.

I have been working on this for a very long time. I've gone through resource books, talked to my sister (who is a teacher) and gone through curriculum books they have for kindergarteners, but it has to be much more simple since this is a 2 year old. I have lost all ideas on this. For science area, I figured sensory trays filled with different cups, scoops, and say rice or flour would satisfy the filling and emptying. Or I also thought different sized cups/containers where they can try fit them inside of each other.

Any thoughts on activities I can plan for each area?
I replied in bold above. Based on the child experimenting with spatial relationships/spatial awareness, these are few activites you can do. For instance, an obstacle course would require the child to decide if they can fit inside of, say, a large cardboard tube or box...that YOU know they will not fit inside of and they will have to go over or around, but they might TRY to fit inside and discover they are too big....

With the art activity, they will need to focus more to keep the paint on the paper, because there is a big empty space right in the middle of it!

The music with peacock feathers requires that they move slowly in a small, confined area, near peers, so they have to be aware of how much space is around them to maneuver safely, without running in to each other.

I will try to think of more ideas for you
dEHmom 03:01 PM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I replied in bold above. Based on the child experimenting with spatial relationships/spatial awareness, these are few activites you can do. For instance, an obstacle course would require the child to decide if they can fit inside of, say, a large cardboard tube or box...that YOU know they will not fit inside of and they will have to go over or around, but they might TRY to fit inside and discover they are too big....

With the art activity, they will need to focus more to keep the paint on the paper, because there is a big empty space right in the middle of it!

The music with peacock feathers requires that they move slowly in a small, confined area, near peers, so they have to be aware of how much space is around them to maneuver safely, without running in to each other.

I will try to think of more ideas for you
OMG! THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU!

I already sent the assignment to my instructor, but I just phoned her and told her ignore it, i'm redoing it! HAHAHA. She said no problem.
It's just sometimes you get so stuck on a certain point and can't get your head out of the box. Thank you soooo much!
Crystal 05:10 PM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
OMG! THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU!

I already sent the assignment to my instructor, but I just phoned her and told her ignore it, i'm redoing it! HAHAHA. She said no problem.
It's just sometimes you get so stuck on a certain point and can't get your head out of the box. Thank you soooo much!
My pleasure
Angelsj 06:15 PM 11-15-2012
Science - Add measuring cups, a variety of different size containers, funnels, etc. to the sandbox. Really like this one

Art -Huge paper with a large shape cut out of the center of it for painting/drawing Here, I would try maybe doing a project of different sized poms poms, shape piece or stickers. (Large and small, tall and short) Kind of like making a snowman out of circles or a robot out of squares and rectangles of various sizes.

Music - Any song that requires movement in a small space.....Going on a bear hunt, Classical music while balancing peacock feathers on hands, etc. For music perhaps a xylophone, or place rubber bands over differently sized boxes or cups, listen to the changing notes based on changing size/depth.

Literature- Books on spatial relationships (just google it) Perhaps write a story about a girl who tried to fill her shoe with sand, and the sand kept disappearing into the shoe...let the kids/kid fill in and help tell the story. Write it down.

Movement -an obstacle course outdoors that requires going in/over/under/around/etc. I like the obstacle course idea, you could also use various size boxes and see who fits/ how many kids fit, etc.
Crystal 07:21 AM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Science - Add measuring cups, a variety of different size containers, funnels, etc. to the sandbox. Really like this one

Art -Huge paper with a large shape cut out of the center of it for painting/drawing Here, I would try maybe doing a project of different sized poms poms, shape piece or stickers. (Large and small, tall and short) Kind of like making a snowman out of circles or a robot out of squares and rectangles of various sizes.

Music - Any song that requires movement in a small space.....Going on a bear hunt, Classical music while balancing peacock feathers on hands, etc. For music perhaps a xylophone, or place rubber bands over differently sized boxes or cups, listen to the changing notes based on changing size/depth.

Literature- Books on spatial relationships (just google it) Perhaps write a story about a girl who tried to fill her shoe with sand, and the sand kept disappearing into the shoe...let the kids/kid fill in and help tell the story. Write it down.

Movement -an obstacle course outdoors that requires going in/over/under/around/etc. I like the obstacle course idea, you could also use various size boxes and see who fits/ how many kids fit, etc.
Good ideas, but I'd be careful about the small pieces and rubber bands with two year olds. Great to do with the three and up crowd though!
dEHmom 09:37 AM 11-19-2012
Thanks Ladies!
What I posted about was half of the assignment. I had already completed the first half. I ended up with 100% on that assignment Thanks so much for the ideas. The facilitator actually loved the ideas, and asked if she can use them!!!

Thanks again. As I said before, you get your mind stuck on one idea or point, and you just can't seem to get past it.
Tags:activities - 2 year old
Reply Up