Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Filing a Police Report Against DCM?
Chellieleanne 12:26 PM 06-02-2014
I had a DCM threaten me and make false accusations against me yesterday(last night). I am going to go to the police station once DH gets home to take over watching the kids to file a report. Needless to say DCM was being extremely disrespectful to me and I termed immediately then she started cursing and basically turned crazy. This was all via text message so I have the proof of everything she has said as well. I did my best to remain professional and mature while she acted like a child. And I got threatened and told a bunch of things that are no where near true. Cherry in top she said I shouldn't have kids because I can't afford them. I afford my children just fine on my husbands income alone I called the police (non emergency) and they said to make a report today since the offices close at 5pm each day.

If you ever had to make a police report how did it go and what did you have to do? I have never done it before but I take threats against me seriously. And the false accusations she made even more so if she tries to report me to cps or something.
Heidi 12:33 PM 06-02-2014
I've done one police report when my neighbor made a habit of allowing her dogs to run loose, and I got tired of asking her nicely.

1. Keep it brief. You don't have to spell out every bit of the text. If you can print them somehow, you could do that and attach it to the report, but otherwise, try to stick to the facts and keep your own emotions out of it.

2. Make sure to call your regulator , if that applies. In WI, we must also advise licensing of any contact with authorities within 24 hours; even if it's YOU contacting THEM.
Chellieleanne 12:42 PM 06-02-2014
I am legally unlicensed so there isn't much there to do.

I have no clue how to print out text messages from my phone... I did write every single message word for word with the times though, but DH was saying they may not accept that. I don't know if I should just include the threat or false accusations as well but I suppose that is something to ask when I speak to an officer.

I was just shocked. DCM said she wasn't going to pay me after I told her to find another provider because of how disrespectful she was being. So I said that is fine I will see you in court and she blew up at me, threatening me and everything else. It took every ounce of my patience to not retaliate against her and maintain my composure.

Some people, I am caring for your child you think you have the decency to pay me and respect that I am running a business
SilverSabre25 12:49 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by Chellieleanne:
Some people, I am caring for your child you think you have the decency to pay me and respect that I am running a business
Yeah...according to many we are supposed to be doing this for the children and not for the money I think it's just a product of the Me-Generation (is that a thing? It should be if it isn't already) and the Special Snowflakes and kids who were never held accountable growing into adults who don't know HOW to be accountable.
SilverSabre25 12:50 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yeah...according to many we are supposed to be doing this for the children and not for the money I think it's just a product of the Me-Generation (is that a thing? It should be if it isn't already) and the Special Snowflakes and kids who were never held accountable growing into adults who don't know HOW to be accountable.
And I realize this makes me sound very old and cynical but I'm only 28. Is it me, or does doing this job make us old beyond our years?
Chellieleanne 12:59 PM 06-02-2014
I am 24 and feel so much older sometimes. Especially when I am the mature one in a conversation with a woman at least 5 years older than me:/ I am really scared for my kids generation though. Can't discipline them, have to buy them what they want... Yeah no. My kids will grow up to be respectful adults thank you. And the kids I watch will learn manners and how to use words instead of fighting
KiddieCahoots 01:00 PM 06-02-2014
My daughters have had me forward my text messages to my email, and it worked!
Maybe you could try that?
jenboo 01:01 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
And I realize this makes me sound very old and cynical but I'm only 28. Is it me, or does doing this job make us old beyond our years?
I'm only 24 and my husband both joke about how we are old people in young bodies! People our age have no respect for anything! It's totally all about them...
Chellieleanne 01:05 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
My daughters have had me forward my text messages to my email, and it worked!
Maybe you could try that?
I can't forward them to my email and keep the time stamps. I have screen shots of them but I don't know how to do more than one shot per page. Too much editing. Idk it will see what they say. I know nothing will come from it unless I have to go to court becuase she decides to not pay. Then I will figure it out then I guess haha.
Chellieleanne 01:11 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I'm only 24 and my husband both joke about how we are old people in young bodies! People our age have no respect for anything! It's totally all about them...
We are the same. We sort of grew up fast too which probably helped but we have a lot more responsibility and respect for life and people in general than most people around our age. He works his butt off to provide and let me stay home with our kids. So I get to do what piques my interest. I got to do my daycare that I will be taking a break from after a year but at least i know what to do and not to do for when I start again!
Luvnmykidz 01:12 PM 06-02-2014
I have heard that you can go to the CVS Photo kiosk and blue tooth the messages to be printed out. Im not exactly sure how it works though.
KiddieCahoots 01:13 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by Chellieleanne:
I can't forward them to my email and keep the time stamps. I have screen shots of them but I don't know how to do more than one shot per page. Too much editing. Idk it will see what they say. I know nothing will come from it unless I have to go to court becuase she decides to not pay. Then I will figure it out then I guess haha.
Oh.....sorry.

It's shocking when you see someone freak out like this, when you were so close with the family and with caring for their children....isn't it?
Experienced it once myself.
Hope it all works out quickly for you. Maybe she'll calm down and apologize after she realizes what a jerk she is being.
NightOwl 01:19 PM 06-02-2014
Chellieleane, "lock" the messages in your phone so they can't be accidentally deleted. Text messages ARE admissible in court and an email version of them may not be (easily tampered with). Open the conversation thread you had with her and there should be a settings button or menu button somewhere. That's where you'll find the lock feature.
Chellieleanne 01:22 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Oh.....sorry.

It's shocking when you see someone freak out like this, when you were so close with the family and with caring for their children....isn't it?
Experienced it once myself.
Hope it all works out quickly for you. Maybe she'll calm down and apologize after she realizes what a jerk she is being.
That I doubt. I am having no contact with her and was told (when I called last night) to call 911 if she comes to my home. Another (current) DCM works with her so according the one that threatened me she is giving the money to my current DCM today. I told current DCM if there is any issue to not even worry about it since I don't want her being involved or the middle man and I will handle it as a legal situation to add on pay plus late fees and legal fees.

I only watched her kids a few times but have never been paid on as agreed and then with disrespecting me last night I was done. I don't want the drama or not knowing when I will get paid. Not taking any more kids but if I did I am sticking to my pay in advance or you have late fees. I was way too lenient and I learned my lesson. Not to mention only verbal contracts, nothing written. Lesson learned and now I know for the future. I wish I would have found this forum before I started though then I wouldn't be in this mess at all
Chellieleanne 01:24 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Chellieleane, "lock" the messages in your phone so they can't be accidentally deleted. Text messages ARE admissible in court and an email version of them may not be (easily tampered with). Open the conversation thread you had with her and there should be a settings button or menu button somewhere. That's where you'll find the lock feature.
I have done that and have screen shots of the entire conversations showing me and her as well as the times and all which saved automatically to my google back up. My phone tends to need to be reset unfortunately since it is so cheap:/ so I can't really keep anything for long.
SillyGrl 11:44 PM 06-02-2014
I don't think you need actual copies of the texts for the police reports, but make sure they don't get deleted!! Screen shots are okay, but the actual text is the one that will be considered the real evidence.

For the report, I think you just need to be very objective, just the facts ma'am, kwim? "On June 1, 2014, received a text from phone number xxx-xxx-xxx stating xyz." That kind of thing. I have never filed a report before, so I don't know the process, whether she'll be notified or what. I think the report is just that, it's a report that the police maintain, and you keep a copy of as a legal form of evidence that can be used later on if necessary. You can use the report to file charges or for court.

I've worked in corrections previously, and have had to learn how to document very objectively because everything you document in a prison or jail can possibly show up in a court room and nurses are often issued a subpoena for one thing or another.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 06-03-2014
Did you end up going after work to file a report with the police?
Chellieleanne 10:56 AM 06-03-2014
So I did end up going when DH got home. Wasted an hour there for no reason. So when I called they said to make a report. When I went in, it has to be at least three to for incidents before anything can be filed unless she comes to my home or starts stalking me basically.

So guess it counts as incident one and if she contacts me again I will count each time then go file on harassment. If she shows up at my home I will call 911 for trespassing.

Either way done with her drama and nonsense and not getting paid. Hardly ever watched her kid anyway so it isn't a big change to what I make.

On the plus I have the SA sister of my ft dcb so that is a nice boost for the next few weeks while she is here
NightOwl 06:44 AM 06-05-2014
All has been quiet?
Chellieleanne 08:51 AM 06-05-2014
So far, haven't heard anything from her. Hopefully it stays that way!
Reply Up