Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Registered vs. Unregistered
nanglgrl 08:45 AM 11-24-2014
I live in a state that does not require registration. The state has been trying to for many years but hasn't been successful. Our local CCRR contacted me and another provider and said they would like us to join them in their efforts.
I'm torn on the issue.
To require mandatory registration there would have to be more money to investigate claims and to prosecute and there would have to be more money allotted to DHS to perform their unannounced yearly visits among other things.
There is also fear that a ton of unregistered providers will go out of business rather than get registered so we won't have enough daycare available for those who need it.
I'm interested in your experiences in states that require registration/licensure etc.

1. What state do you live in (can leave blank or send me a message if seeking anonymity)

2. What is the lowest level of registration and how do the requirements compare to the next level? (Ex. In our state unregistered can have 5 and no regs, registered can have 6 but have regs).

3. Does your state do anything to close down illegal providers? What do they do?

4. Do you have to pay yearly registration fees or any other fees to state or local agencies?

5. Is there enough providers in your area compared to the amount of families seeking care?

6. Do you think requiring registration works in your state?

7. Any other info you can add about how your state goes about requiring registration.
Oh and thank you!
daycarediva 11:27 AM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I live in a state that does not require registration. The state has been trying to for many years but hasn't been successful. Our local CCRR contacted me and another provider and said they would like us to join them in their efforts.
I'm torn on the issue.
To require mandatory registration there would have to be more money to investigate claims and to prosecute and there would have to be more money allotted to DHS to perform their unannounced yearly visits among other things.
There is also fear that a ton of unregistered providers will go out of business rather than get registered so we won't have enough daycare available for those who need it.
I'm interested in your experiences in states that require registration/licensure etc.

1. What state do you live in (can leave blank or send me a message if seeking anonymity)

2. What is the lowest level of registration and how do the requirements compare to the next level? (Ex. In our state unregistered can have 5 and no regs, registered can have 6 but have regs).

3. Does your state do anything to close down illegal providers? What do they do?

4. Do you have to pay yearly registration fees or any other fees to state or local agencies?

5. Is there enough providers in your area compared to the amount of families seeking care?

7. Any other info you can add about how your state goes about requiring registration.
Oh and thank you!
1. NY
2. Anyone caring for 2 or more children 3 or more hours per day requires registration. FCC is a MAX of 6 under 5. Only 2 under 2. Plus an additional 2 SA kids. Registration is dependent on space available. Group Family is double that number. I've never actually SEEN it regulated by space. I know someone who operates a group in almost the exact square footage I operate, and it would not be possible for me to put all of the mats out without touching if I doubled my kids....
3. Very area dependent. In our area, they are cracking down. Visiting those advertising illegally and getting the police involved. LOTS of illegal dirt cheap daycare here.
4. No fees, I do pay for and attend mandated classes through the state though.
5. Legal? No. Centers? Yes- but most families cannot afford them. Illegal? yes.
6. It's heavily advertised locally, and families seeking quality care will ask about state licensing (not ALL! don't flame me, I was legally unlicensed)
7. I hate our regs, but for the most part I agree with their need for them. Our initial licensing is 2 years, and then renewals every 4 unless there is a problem. They don't visit me as much as they used to, which is fine by me. They do a LOT of center and newly licensed visits though.
Annalee 11:39 AM 11-24-2014
I'm torn on the issue.

1. What state do you live in (can leave blank or send me a message if seeking anonymity) TN

2. What is the lowest level of registration and how do the requirements compare to the next level? (Ex. In our state unregistered can have 5 and no regs, registered can have 6 but have regs). Years ago, providers were able to get registered but state done away with it! Unregulated may keep 4 unrelated and as many as you want related?? After the 5th unrelated child, providers needs to be licensed! These providers can be on food program...only regulatory issue they have!

3. Does your state do anything to close down illegal providers? What do they do? Not that I am aware of, there are 14 unrelated providers in my county compared to 5 licensed family child care homes???? I know of 2 unregulated providers who keep 11 kids daily, unrelated....do NOT tell me to turn them in because it does NO good!

4. Do you have to pay yearly registration fees or any other fees to state or local agencies? I pay a licensing fee that is based around my QRIS Assessment score!

5. Is there enough providers in your area compared to the amount of families seeking care? I stay full, not sure about everyone else! Several providers here, center and family, offer part time/drop in but I only offer one flat rate daycare!

6. Do you think requiring registration works in your state? I assume not, since we actually offered registration at one time....I think registration went out when QRIS was in the works to be implemented.??

7. Any other info you can add about how your state goes about requiring registration.Those not licensed here are flying under the radar....QRIS is so stiff here that state partners are on our path continuously, so registration, I do NOT feel, will ever be implemented again! I do feel these unregulated providers should answer to someone!
Oh and thank you!
Answers are in bold.
melilley 11:42 AM 11-24-2014
I'm torn on the issue.

Oh and thank you!
1. I live in Michigan

2. We have to have to be licensed or registered in order to take care of ANY unrelated children in our home. We have family care in which you get registered and that's a max of 6 non related children, we also have group care where you get licensed and it's a max of 12 non related children, but we have to count our own children who are under 7 in our ratios. We can only have 4 under 30 months and only 2 of the 4 may be under 18 months.

3. As far as I know, our state doesn't really do anything to shut down illegal providers, I don't think there is enough money to investigate them. Unless there is a complaint, I don't think they put much into it (not even sure they would come for that). CL ads pop up daily and some of the same people have been advertising for years.

4. We have to pay a registration/licensing fee. Group homes pay more than family homes (I can't remember the amount). I have to renew my registration every 3 years and pay the fee. I think group is every 1 or 2 years.

5. I'm not sure on this one. I know there is a high demand for infant/toddler care. Preschool aged children usually go to free, low income, or formal-paid preschool.

6. I think for some people. People who follow the law and are conscious of the laws register. But I also think that our state doesn't do enough to notify illegal providers that what they are doing is illegal. Many people do not know that you have to have a license or be registered to take care of unrelated children in their homes.

7. In order for us to get licensed or registered, we have to go to a 6 hour orientation on licensing rules and have an inspection (group is before getting licensed, family is within 90 days of orientation, have to have cpr done every year, first aid every 3 years, pay for fingerprinting, the state does a background check, have to have blood borne pathogen and safe sleep training, and have a health appraisal done.
nannyde 12:30 PM 11-24-2014
Does you CCRR realize the law has already been passed? The Legislature already passed it for Iowa. It was supposed to go into effect July 1, 2013.
nanglgrl 01:30 PM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Does you CCRR realize the law has already been passed? The Legislature already passed it for Iowa. It was supposed to go into effect July 1, 2013.
Nan, I suppose they don't but I do plan to inform them of it and see what they have to say and what they think the next steps are, if any.
I just really wanted to get a feel of how it works in other states that require registration and if it's even worth my time to even worry about it. If other states have implemented mandatory registration but at the same time the states dont take any serious action against illegal providers I can't see that there is really anything I can do.
I was also interested in how these states pay for the increase in registered providers because of our conversation earlier.
AmyKidsCo 05:54 PM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
1. I live in Michigan
2. We have to have to be licensed or registered in order to take care of ANY unrelated children in our home. We have family care in which you get registered and that's a max of 6 non related children, we also have group care where you get licensed and it's a max of 12 non related children, but we have to count our own children who are under 7 in our ratios. We can only have 4 under 30 months and only 2 of the 4 may be under 18 months.

I used to live in Grand Haven, MI and had a FCC there too! I loved that regulation was required - even if it wasn't followed it was still the law.

1. What state do you live in.
Wisconsin

"No person shall for compensation provide care and supervision for 4 or more children under the age of seven for less than 24 hours a day unless he obtains a license to operate a day care center... THE LAW APPLIES WHEN... There are 4 or more children at any one time under the age of seven. Care is outside of the child’s own home. The caregiver is a non-relative/non-guardian by state definition. The child care is for compensation. The parents are off the premises. The child care is less than 24 hours per day."

There's also county certified, but I don't know what their rules are.

As far as I know, if they get a complaint they send a letter, then visit to see if the complaint is valid and issue a warning. I don't know what else.

I don't know about certification, but the licensing fee is about $60 every 2 years.

Not for infants, but too many for 4 year olds since my city started 4K and located them all in group centers.

Yes

Since we moved back to WI in '99 I've wanted WI to eliminate unregulated care and require licensing or certification. Most of the time when there's scandal about a child dying or being injured it's an unregulated provider. But the news just reports "in home daycare" which lumps me and all the other licensed FCC providers right in with that person.
Thriftylady 07:20 AM 11-26-2014
I am in Ohio and you can be unlicensed and keep six or fewer children. I like the system. I know there are some providing care that are not doing it well, but I knew some licensed ones in Kansas that weren't either. I think it is really up to the parents to keep their eye on things. Even licensed providers only get 1 visit a year (at least what I got in Kansas), and the agent visiting doesn't get a real feel of things in one visit a year. I honestly am not sure what would happen if I got a complaint here in Ohio if someone would come visit or not. I do know that as long as I don't have more than six I am following the law. I also run as I did when I was licensed in Kansas even though I am not, because I felt I was doing it right then and am only change things that didn't work or whatever.
craftymissbeth 07:30 AM 11-26-2014
1. What state do you live in (can leave blank or send me a message if seeking anonymity) Kansas

2. What is the lowest level of registration and how do the requirements compare to the next level? (Ex. In our state unregistered can have 5 and no regs, registered can have 6 but have regs). You can either be legally unlicensed (cannot watch unrelated children for more than a total of 20 hours per week) or licensed (up to 10 children with a regular family license or up to 12 children with a group license depending on ages)

3. Does your state do anything to close down illegal providers? What do they do? Yes, licensing will show up and shut down illegal providers. There is a $500 per day fine for being illegally unlicensed. They do have to be notified of the illegal daycare and must know the person's address. The person who reports them is kept anonymous.

4. Do you have to pay yearly registration fees or any other fees to state or local agencies? Yes, the state requires an $85 (?? oh geez I can't remember exactly how much it is... I'm pretty sure it's around that amount) and my county requires $75.

5. Is there enough providers in your area compared to the amount of families seeking care? There are too many providers in my area compared to the families seeking care.

6. Do you think requiring registration works in your state? Meh.. I definitely see the benefits. But there are still MANY illegally unlicensed daycares in my area. It's pretty easy to get licensed in Kansas, imo, yet there are still so many SAHM's who can't be bothered.
Tags:licensed vs unlicensed, registration unregistered
Reply Up