Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frustrated! DCM Not Bringing Back Changes of Clothes
Lilbutterflie 06:27 AM 09-23-2010
I require just one change of clothes for each child. I have a dcg who was potty trained about 6 months ago, but you all know that accidents still happen!

Whenever an accident does happen, it takes DCM forever to bring back in another change of clothes! She had an accident early last week, and DCM didn't bring back any clothes for her. So yesterday she had another accident, and I had to let her wear my DD's clothes. DCM says, "Oh, I thought I brought some for her." I say "No, not since her last accident last week." Did she bring her a new change of clothes this morning, NO!

So far, there have been only two occasions where she's had an accident and did not have another change of clothes. But this is just pure luck, b/c every time she has an accident it takes at least 3-10 days to get another change of clothes. I've had to let her use my daughters clothes even though they are too big for her. I do try to remind DCM as often as I can, but ultimately it is her responsibility to bring back another change of clothes the very next day to make sure this doesn't happen! They have a washer & dryer in their home, so it's not like she has to wait to go to a laundramat or anything.

I already require at least 5 changes of clothes for those who are in the process of potty training, but now am thinking that I will require at least two changes of clothes for those who have been potty trained for a year or less. OR should I charge a fee for everytime I have to dress her in my own DD's clothes? OR I wonder if I should buy some extra clothes just to keep here, and charge her for it since this has become a problem? Just brainstorming... something has to change. How do you all deal with this issue?
MyAngels 06:40 AM 09-23-2010
I have always asked parents to keep at least one change of clothes here, but I also buy plain sweatpants, shorts and t-shirts in various sizes to have on hand just in case. Now if I could only get all of them back that I've sent home over the years...
DanceMom 06:51 AM 09-23-2010
I have had to have kids wear my kids clothes and shoes...Mom drops off all the time without shoes !! even her 8 yr old daughter this morning came with no shoes, in the rain..walked to my door in her socks. Soaking wet. I had to call mom to turn around and bring her shoes...

Parents, I get their they are busy in the morning trying to get to work..but SLOW down and get your crap together the night before. I worked outside of the home and had to get 2 kids ready at 6am..I NEVER forgot anything my provider needed..and I esp did not send my kids to daycare without shoes on...Very irritating.

Money talks...buy some extra and start charging her..she will not forget again after the first time she is charged !
tymaboy 07:37 AM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by Heather:
Money talks...buy some extra and start charging her..she will not forget again after the first time she is charged !
Yep. I have a clothing fee due to the fact that my back up clothes were going out the door & not coming back so I now point out to parents that if they do not supply clothes then they will be charged a clothing fee. The fee is refundable if the clothes are brought back within the week.
bgmeyers 07:47 AM 09-23-2010
My own children are teenagers, so there is no borrowing here. Didn't do it when they were little either.
I refuse to buy clothes for the parents to borrow. It is their responsibilty to provide for their children. If a child has an accident and doesn't have a change of clothes the parent gets a call from me to bring clothes immediately.
Lilbutterflie 08:10 AM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by bgmeyers:
My own children are teenagers, so there is no borrowing here. Didn't do it when they were little either.
I refuse to buy clothes for the parents to borrow. It is their responsibilty to provide for their children. If a child has an accident and doesn't have a change of clothes the parent gets a call from me to bring clothes immediately.
You are absolutely right, I guess I never thought of this! That would definitely be a deterrent if the parent had to leave work to bring a change of clothes. I think I will tell her this is the last time she will get to borrow my daughter's clothes. Next time she'll have to leave work to bring a change of clothes.
Lilbutterflie 08:14 AM 09-23-2010
Although I would be slightly worried that DCM would put her frustration with having to leave work on her daughter. I almost hate telling DCM when she has accidents... she gets punished with spankings and time-outs whenever she has an accident. Although I am not against spanking, I do not think she should be reprimanded the way she is for an accident once a week. DCG even told me that she gets "spankin's" at home if she wets her bed! I feel so bad for her. If I made her mom come bring her clothes, I'm worried dcg will be punished for it! I guess it's none of my business though.
missnikki 08:26 AM 09-23-2010
I bought cheap clothes from a thrift store, and wrote 'LOANER' across the butt in fat Magic Marker. I would call the parent for immediate clothing delivery and put the child in the LOANER pants. They usually get the hint. If it happened more than once, I charged a 'soiled clothing replacement fee'.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:34 AM 09-23-2010
me I send the kid home nekkid. I give her a big sleep t shirt to wear thru the day and a pullup. and when they go home the shirt stays with me.

Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I require just one change of clothes for each child. I have a dcg who was potty trained about 6 months ago, but you all know that accidents still happen!

Whenever an accident does happen, it takes DCM forever to bring back in another change of clothes! She had an accident early last week, and DCM didn't bring back any clothes for her. So yesterday she had another accident, and I had to let her wear my DD's clothes. DCM says, "Oh, I thought I brought some for her." I say "No, not since her last accident last week." Did she bring her a new change of clothes this morning, NO!

So far, there have been only two occasions where she's had an accident and did not have another change of clothes. But this is just pure luck, b/c every time she has an accident it takes at least 3-10 days to get another change of clothes. I've had to let her use my daughters clothes even though they are too big for her. I do try to remind DCM as often as I can, but ultimately it is her responsibility to bring back another change of clothes the very next day to make sure this doesn't happen! They have a washer & dryer in their home, so it's not like she has to wait to go to a laundramat or anything.

I already require at least 5 changes of clothes for those who are in the process of potty training, but now am thinking that I will require at least two changes of clothes for those who have been potty trained for a year or less. OR should I charge a fee for everytime I have to dress her in my own DD's clothes? OR I wonder if I should buy some extra clothes just to keep here, and charge her for it since this has become a problem? Just brainstorming... something has to change. How do you all deal with this issue?

momofsix 09:40 AM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Although I would be slightly worried that DCM would put her frustration with having to leave work on her daughter. I almost hate telling DCM when she has accidents... she gets punished with spankings and time-outs whenever she has an accident. Although I am not against spanking, I do not think she should be reprimanded the way she is for an accident once a week. DCG even told me that she gets "spankin's" at home if she wets her bed! I feel so bad for her. If I made her mom come bring her clothes, I'm worried dcg will be punished for it! I guess it's none of my business though.
Spanking for a toilet accident is absolutely not appropriate Maybe you could print up a little note about toilet training, how to praise and not punish for accidents...I don't know if you have others in the same age group so you could make it for everyone (so as not to make her feel singled out).
Otherwise, I would mention it to her, in a nonconfrontationl way that dcg said she got into trouble for wetting the bed, and talk to her about how developmentally ok it is for kids to wet the bed for quite a while after they're trained during the day. Maybe she would want to use pull-ups for a while at night.
Sorry for going off topic
DCMom 10:02 AM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I bought cheap clothes from a thrift store, and wrote 'LOANER' across the butt in fat Magic Marker.
Since my kids are all adults now, this is what I do. I buy the boldest, brightest, ugliest clothes I can find. Then I take fabric paint and put 'DAYCARE' across the front of the shirts and down the legs in the biggest lettering space will allow.

Then I hope the parent was planning on going to Target or the grocery store after daycare

It's one of those things that can really bug you if you let it ~ and I don't let it.
MarinaVanessa 12:17 PM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Then I take fabric paint and put 'DAYCARE' across the front of the shirts and down the legs in the biggest lettering space will allow.
This is what I do. I have extra sets here (hand me downs) and they all have DAYCARE written across the front and/or back written with thick fabric pen.

If you are concerned that these clothes won't come back to you either you could explain that there is a $5 fee per set (or article of clothing) if it doesn't get returned to you the next business day. You could also call mom at work and say that the child is wearing your child's clothes and so will have to drive to her own house to pick up clothes for her child (and an extra set to leave in your daycare) before coming to pick her child up. Lots of options
Tags:change of clothes, change of cloths
Reply Up