Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How much notice should I give?
TaylorTots 11:52 AM 10-31-2014
I plan on terming two part timer siblings in January for a full time infant sibling that will bring in the same as my two part timer. This has been my plan since DCM got pregnant with the sibling.

My contract states I will give 2 weeks termination notice.

I don't want to give too much notice and have them pull out too early (due to loss of income) but since I know I will be terming, should I tell them more than 2 weeks in advance? I know for a fact they could struggle to find 3 day/week care for 2 children (who will be close to 4 years old) within 2 weeks time but they have a strong family support network.
Baby Beluga 12:36 PM 10-31-2014
I think I would do it at the beginning of December. This way hopefully they can find other arrangements prior to the holidays.
cheerfuldom 02:24 PM 10-31-2014
I would give two weeks notice only.
taylorw1210 02:57 PM 10-31-2014
I would stick close to the 2 weeks notice out of fear of them pulling early, but would want to provide them a little extra time since the care they need would be difficult to find - maybe 3 weeks notice instead?
NeedaVaca 03:12 PM 10-31-2014
Be prepared if you take holidays/vacation days between Christmas and New Years. Save some money because they will probably pull right before that so they don't have to pay...
Crazy8 04:42 PM 10-31-2014
When in January will the baby start? Needavaca makes a good point about holiday/vac time. If you can give notice after the holidays I would give 3 weeks. If not I would probably just give the standard 2 weeks.
TaylorTots 09:17 PM 10-31-2014
Baby's start date is flexible - mom wants to enroll him sometime between Jan-Feb. I don't charge for holidays and take off Christmas/Christmas Eve/New Years Day. I could give notice after New Years and make it a 3 week notice.

Also, a venting side note.... I understand the issue with giving less than a month notice to find alternative care, but I'm also reminded how much I have bent over for this family already on things that just have broken my backbone (late/early drop offs and waiver of late fees, NEVER communicating about anything, sending me sick kids repeatedly that infect the entire daycare, forgetting payment and expecting me to waive that late fee, dad showing up 35 minutes late as I am pulling the van out to transport my DD to preschool and expecting me to wait for him, etc). I will be pleased to be rid of this family Me taking on two older kids (the kids are great, the parents are the headache) part time for GOOD part time rates for the area is unheard of. Providers here avoid part time older kids as they just don't make the same profit and are a LOT more work. I enrolled them when I needed to fill the spots and wasn't finding a better fit. I am ready for January just to not have to deal with these irresponsible parents anymore
KidGrind 05:36 AM 11-01-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
Baby's start date is flexible - mom wants to enroll him sometime between Jan-Feb. I don't charge for holidays and take off Christmas/Christmas Eve/New Years Day. I could give notice after New Years and make it a 3 week notice.

Also, a venting side note.... I understand the issue with giving less than a month notice to find alternative care, but I'm also reminded how much I have bent over for this family already on things that just have broken my backbone (late/early drop offs and waiver of late fees, NEVER communicating about anything, sending me sick kids repeatedly that infect the entire daycare, forgetting payment and expecting me to waive that late fee, dad showing up 35 minutes late as I am pulling the van out to transport my DD to preschool and expecting me to wait for him, etc). I will be pleased to be rid of this family Me taking on two older kids (the kids are great, the parents are the headache) part time for GOOD part time rates for the area is unheard of. Providers here avoid part time older kids as they just don't make the same profit and are a LOT more work. I enrolled them when I needed to fill the spots and wasn't finding a better fit. I am ready for January just to not have to deal with these irresponsible parents anymore
2 weeks notice is enough.
TheGoodLife 08:06 AM 11-01-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:

I'd usually say give more notice when possible, but with a family like that I'd give the 2 weeks in your contract.
CraftyMom 11:25 AM 11-01-2014
The standard 2 weeks. Unless you require they give 2 weeks notice PER CHILD if they were to leave? If so then you might extend the same courtesy and give 2 weeks per child. If your policy is just 2 weeks, then stick with that.
TaylorTots 09:43 PM 11-01-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
The standard 2 weeks. Unless you require they give 2 weeks notice PER CHILD if they were to leave? If so then you might extend the same courtesy and give 2 weeks per child. If your policy is just 2 weeks, then stick with that.
Nope, just 2 weeks per contract. I do my contracts per family not per child.
Reply Up