Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>ENDING Your Interviews?
AuntTami 08:55 PM 11-03-2014
How do you end your interviews?

Do you tell them you'll be in touch with them?

Do you wait for them to contact you?

What do you say when things are starting to wrap up and you think the family would be a good fit? Or not a good fit?

I have an interview on Thursday for a 8mo old, and I always seem to blow my interviews. This one is based on a referral from my current DCM. Am I supposed to call them after the interview? They always tell me "We'll call you in xx amount of days and let you know"...Should I be telling them I'll call THEM in xx amount of days?
renodeb 09:17 PM 11-03-2014
Usually the family will wrap things up and tell me that they will be in touch. If I don't hear from them in a week or so I just awesome that it was not meant to be. I never call them. I shouldnt have to chase them.
Deb
Tasha 10:35 PM 11-03-2014
Unless I am absolutely certain I want a particular family, I tell potential clients that I will be in touch within the next (usually) few days. Right away it lets them know that it's my decision, not theirs, and also gets the point across from the very beginning that they will not be my boss. I have had surprised people who say, Oh you're interviewing us? Yep, I am. And their reaction does take me aback because why would anyone just assume we would (or could) just accept everybody into our home who would like to enroll. Of course it's our decision!
midaycare 03:53 AM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by Tasha:
Unless I am absolutely certain I want a particular family, I tell potential clients that I will be in touch within the next (usually) few days. Right away it lets them know that it's my decision, not theirs, and also gets the point across from the very beginning that they will not be my boss. I have had surprised people who say, Oh you're interviewing us? Yep, I am. And their reaction does take me aback because why would anyone just assume we would (or could) just accept everybody into our home who would like to enroll. Of course it's our decision!
Same here. And for some reason it makes dcf's want the spot sooo much. I never assumed a daycare would just take me - I don't know why other people would.
taylorw1210 05:18 AM 11-04-2014
I put emphasis on BOTH of us making a mutual decision to go into business with each other towards the end of the interview. I let the family know that I am looking to enroll a child that would fit well with the group I currently have, which plants the seed in their minds that I am looking for a particular type of child. I tell the family it was nice to meet them, and most of the time they will tell me they are impressed with my program and have heard good things (I've done no advertising for almost a year and all my recent clients have been referrals.) and will let me know what they decide shortly. I tell them that I will let them know my decision once I am done conducting interviews. (I say this even if I do not have any other interviews.)

If I liked the family, 24-48 hours later I follow up with a call telling them that it was great to meet their family, bring up something personal from the interview (example: during my last interview the mom had a 2 week old baby and started crying during our interview because she was having a hard time adjusting to her first baby. So I called her to see how she was doing because she really enjoyed a sympathetic ear at the interview), and then ask if there were any questions left unanswered "because I know I always remember questions I want to ask after the fact." Once we get through that, I tell them I am looking forward to potentially working with their family in the future and at that point they get the idea that they need to make the decision on their end now.

The families always appreciate that call and then we go from there. I know a lot of people do not do follow up calls, but I feel it's good customer service and shows the family that I care about them as a family and not just clients.

If I don't like the family I do not do a follow up call, and if they call me for enrollment I tell them the position has been filled.
Indoorvoice 05:32 AM 11-04-2014
I always say I have a few more interviews to do for that spot even if I don't. I tell them I will follow up with them in 2 days and make it clear that it is a mutual decision. I urge them to look over the handbook again at home even though I review it extensively in the interview and make sure they are comfortable with the rules so when I follow up I can answer any questions. I usually know right away at the interview, but telling them I have more interviews makes it clear that I am making the choice and also buys me some time to really think about it.
Baby Beluga 05:55 AM 11-04-2014
This last round of interviews I told families I had additional interviews to conduct and would be in touch with everyone on Friday - because I did. After the interview I would send the families an email letting them know it was a pleasure to meet them and their children, throw in a compliment about something their child did and encourage them to ask any questions they have after reading my handbook in depth. I also reiterated that I still had additional interviews to condict and would be in touch with everyone on Friday after all families had the opportunity to interview.

The parents responses were interesting. Two families wanted to leave a deposit the same night as the interview and were shocked when I told them I had additional families who were also interviewing for the spot. The shocked families were also were the ones texting me asking if I had made a decision yet after I specifically told everyone I would contact them on Friday
Meeko 06:17 AM 11-04-2014
I tell parents I am still conducting interviews until *** date. I tell them to let me know by that date if they would like a place. I then tell them I will then decide which child I am going to take and will contact them.

They are applying for a spot in my daycare. I am not applying for a job.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I tell parents I am still conducting interviews until *** date. I tell them to let me know by that date if they would like a place. I then tell them I will then decide which child I am going to take and will contact them.

They are applying for a spot in my daycare. I am not applying for a job.
I always tell parents that I am conducting interviews until xx date.

During the actual interview, I will say to them that it was nice to meet them and once I am finished interviewing, I will contact them to let them know of my decision.

I have ALWAYS waited a minimum of 3 days before contacting them in regards to offering them the space because I want everyone to have time to really think it over. BOTH the family and myself.

After the interview, I will send them a follow up e-mail stating again how nice it was to meet them, encourage them to e-mail with any additional questions they may have and letting them know the date in which I will make a final decision.

Once the final date has come, I will then e-mail the family and either let them know the space is available should they choose to take it (at which time I give them 48 hours to respond or the next family will get the space) or I e-mail letting them know I've decided to offer the space to another family but they are welcome to add their name to my waitlist if they should want to wait for an available opening in my program.

One of the first things I learned in this business was to NEVER offer a spot to a family during an interview. NO MATTER how badly you want the family or how well you think they would fit in. ALWAYS take atleast a day to mull it over.

In my opinion, I believe it sets the stage for you to never look desperate to fill spaces, makes you never appear compulsive and makes you look professional since you take time to think things over and make the right decisions.

HTH
TaylorTots 06:59 AM 11-04-2014
I tell them that I have a few more interviews to finish up then will decide who to offer the spot to. If for any reason they don't get offered the spot, I will offer them the waitlist. I usually tell them within a week depending on other interviews (if I dont have any lined up yet but will be continuting to interview, I still tell them this exact line). Makes it easier.

Besides, overall it set the tone loud and clear to all parents that I run this show, not them. I decide what children I care for and how I do so - they don't decide the policies or my hours etc. It has helped immensely since I changed to doing it this way at interviews!!
daycarediva 10:02 AM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I always tell parents that I am conducting interviews until xx date.

During the actual interview, I will say to them that it was nice to meet them and once I am finished interviewing, I will contact them to let them know of my decision.

I have ALWAYS waited a minimum of 3 days before contacting them in regards to offering them the space because I want everyone to have time to really think it over. BOTH the family and myself.

After the interview, I will send them a follow up e-mail stating again how nice it was to meet them, encourage them to e-mail with any additional questions they may have and letting them know the date in which I will make a final decision.

Once the final date has come, I will then e-mail the family and either let them know the space is available should they choose to take it (at which time I give them 48 hours to respond or the next family will get the space) or I e-mail letting them know I've decided to offer the space to another family but they are welcome to add their name to my waitlist if they should want to wait for an available opening in my program.

One of the first things I learned in this business was to NEVER offer a spot to a family during an interview. NO MATTER how badly you want the family or how well you think they would fit in. ALWAYS take atleast a day to mull it over.

In my opinion, I believe it sets the stage for you to never look desperate to fill spaces, makes you never appear compulsive and makes you look professional since you take time to think things over and make the right decisions.

HTH
This is how I handle it, too.

"Do you have any other questions?"
-no-
"Thank you for taking the time to tour my program. It was lovely meeting your family. I still have a few more interviews to conduct for this space. I will email you by X date when I have made my decision. In the mean time, feel free to email me with any additional questions you may have."

as I usher them out the door.
daycarediva 10:05 AM 11-04-2014
Also- do interviews constantly. ADD to your waiting list. I LOVE my waiting list and I very, very rarely have a space open for any length of time. Right now, I have families that want a call when I have ANY available DAY. It gives me the financial stability that this field often lacks.

When I have an opening/availability come up I REINTERVIEW and then decide from there. I am not lying when I say that I am conducting multiple interviews for the same position.
TaylorTots 10:26 AM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Also- do interviews constantly. ADD to your waiting list. I LOVE my waiting list and I very, very rarely have a space open for any length of time. Right now, I have families that want a call when I have ANY available DAY. It gives me the financial stability that this field often lacks.

When I have an opening/availability come up I REINTERVIEW and then decide from there. I am not lying when I say that I am conducting multiple interviews for the same position.
I guess I never saw it as lying if I didn't have another immediate interview lined up. If that family isn't a good fit and I'm going to pass on them, I will be interviewing more... I think I phrased it wrong above. Sorry.
AuntTami 11:16 AM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I can't "add" to my wait list since I only have 1 out of 3 openings filled so I don't have a waitlist.

I've been doing interviews constantly since I opened in August, and from all of those, I've gotten 3 full time clients. One pulled after 3 weeks due to a financial change(her boyfriend moved out of state unexpectedly) one pulled after an accident/she moved back in with her mom and one I have full time right now.

It seems like every time I get one step ahead, I fall two steps behind. I just don't get what I'm doing wrong!

In reality, I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong and it's just all adding up. I don't know.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just getting so frustrated and overwhelmed.

I knew it would take time to find clients, but I'm so tired of the bottom falling out EVERY.SINGLE.TIME!
melilley 11:18 AM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
I always say I have a few more interviews to do for that spot even if I don't. I tell them I will follow up with them in 2 days and make it clear that it is a mutual decision. I urge them to look over the handbook again at home even though I review it extensively in the interview and make sure they are comfortable with the rules so when I follow up I can answer any questions. I usually know right away at the interview, but telling them I have more interviews makes it clear that I am making the choice and also buys me some time to really think about it.
This is what I do now.
Reply Up