Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Foster Child Visits
Unregistered 07:00 AM 01-06-2020
How do you handle visits when you only allow one drop off pick up a day? I absolutely don't want to allow the picking up at nap time. Any thing I can do about it? Last time they picked up 15 minutes earlier than I was told they were coming. I'm just frustrate with the naptime visits!
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How do you handle visits when you only allow one drop off pick up a day? I absolutely don't want to allow the picking up at nap time. Any thing I can do about it? Last time they picked up 15 minutes earlier than I was told they were coming. I'm just frustrate with the naptime visits!
In my opinion, when you agree to take children that are in the foster care system there are certain things you have to deal with.

I have a one pick up/drop off rule as well but never applied it to foster kids.
They have "special" circumstances and I was willing to allow that for their benefit.

If you can't accommodate it, I guess I wouldn't agree to take foster kids. That is honestly the only solution I see.
Cat Herder 10:41 AM 01-06-2020
If you want to make it work maybe have the child sleep somewhere away from the others on visit day?

Other than asking the caseworker to avoid naptime there isn't much else that can be done because they are bound by court orders and schedules that can change at a whim during emergency cases. They have no control here.

If it is the foster parent picking up, they should be held to the same standards as the other parents. They are paid to deal with the schedule changes. They can pick up before nap on visit days to limit interruptions to the other kids.
284878 06:08 AM 01-07-2020
I arranged my nap time for the foster kids.
I keep the kids separate and put the younger one down first to give him a longer nap time. The older one would take longer to fall asleep, so he was last lay down for nap, and he would take his nap in the car ride. It was worse if he fell asleep here because his nap would be cut short and he would be so cranky for the rest of the day plus not sleep in the car ride.
I put them in rooms that I could sneak them out and the others wouldn't notice. The got back at the end of the nap and the kids didn't know that they were gone.

Make sure that the person that is picking up is on the list of pick up people. Also make them sign the child out.
Snowmom 08:48 AM 01-07-2020
I've never had foster kids enrolled so I'm curious, what is this post referring to?
Does the state check in on their childcare provider?
Or is this a parent needing to pick up to bring to an appointment?
Cat Herder 09:16 AM 01-07-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I've never had foster kids enrolled so I'm curious, what is this post referring to?
Does the state check in on their childcare provider?
Or is this a parent needing to pick up to bring to an appointment?
The kids have to go to supervised visits, doctor's appointments, therapists, court, etc. There is a lot of disruption early on. It does level out, though. Sometimes the caseworker picks up, sometimes the foster parent.
Annalee 10:14 AM 01-07-2020
I have taken sibling foster kids one time. Countless visits, calls, drop off, pickups, supervised parent visits, state personnel, etc. I was paid by the state which led to an audit which I survived. NEVER AGAIN. That’s all I’m gonna say about that.
springv 07:21 PM 01-07-2020
We have foster kids in our center and its not at all bad. Dhr comes and comes and gets the child/ children and then brings them back at the end of the visit. The only pet peeve of mine is that I wish they could communicate with our childcare consultant about things and us not get as many questions
Tags:drop off issues, drop off policy, foster kids
Reply Up