Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School supply stock up
jojosmommy 08:22 PM 08-16-2012
What school supplies do you stock up on at this time of year for daycare?

Two years ago I bought a TON of crayons and finally used them up. I even gave some out as valentines when I forgot to plan a valentine gift! Going to buy some extra this year and plan to have my son give them out as valentines this year. I hate candy.....

I didn't however buy enough glue sticks or liquid and had to buy them at the ridiculous price later in the year. Seriously, 38 cents in september and $2 in December .
countrymom 05:02 AM 08-17-2012
crayons, glue, those coil books (15 cent) a whole case cost me under 5 dollars. Everyone loves their own books to draw in. Markers, I bought more scissors.
Lilbutterflie 05:34 AM 08-17-2012
I have crayons galore from a previous stock up!

But it seems every year I need to stock up on glue and markers. I forgot to stock up on notebooks, I am glad you mentioned it CountryMom! I need to go get some.
SilverSabre25 06:03 AM 08-17-2012
Everything...my dcks are HARD on art supplies and my DD goes through them very quickly because she is a prolific artist.

Plus, I love school supplies There's not hing like the smell of new crayons.

If you run out of glue sticks in the middle of the year you can always get them in bulk at sams or costco, they're not too expensive then.

I saw a neat idea on Pinterest about washing out empty gluestick containers and putting melted crayons in them to make turnable large crayons in a plastic case.
Blackcat31 06:37 AM 08-17-2012
I am not allowed in the school supply section of the stores.

I have an addiction to loose leaf paper, index cards and Post-it notes.

Whenever I need anything for the DCK's I have to use my Post-it notes and make a list and DH gets it all for me.

After he discovered my stash one year, he banned me from that section during back to school time.
sharlan 06:43 AM 08-17-2012
We've been hitting the specials for the past month. We donate a lot to the grandkids' schools.
Country Kids 06:50 AM 08-17-2012
I would love to work in an office supply/teachers store-. I love to go supply shopping for my childcare. Rather do that then buy clothes.

I'm so bad. Staples loves me around here-
itlw8 08:57 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am not allowed in the school supply section of the stores.

I have an addiction to loose leaf paper, index cards and Post-it notes.

Whenever I need anything for the DCK's I have to use my Post-it notes and make a list and DH gets it all for me.

After he discovered my stash one year, he banned me from that section during back to school time.
LOL Dh said he would make me return any crayons or glue I came home with I bought markers but did not need them I will give them as gifts this year.

I need more spiral notebooks my kids all love them and I take them for trainings.Never thought about buying a case. School started this week here so Walmart will be having clearance very soon... 10 cent crayons. I can not resist.
countrymom 10:23 AM 08-17-2012
those notebooks are awesome! but they don't sell them that cheap here in ontario, but since the border is super close to me, I go over every other weekend (I'm going to menards on sunday in ohio, the one on alexis rd) the case cost under 5 dollars, I think I'm getting another case because you know, its the smell of paper that gets you (and crayons too) but i need to go to menards to buy my ceiling fan for my newly renovated daycare room.
Meyou 10:39 AM 08-17-2012
I need everything this year. My kids are also hard on craft supplies and I'm empty and have been holding out for the sales. I need markers, crayons, glue, glitter, new scissors and colored paper the most. They've been making stacks of paper bag puppets because paper bags and construction paper is literally all we have left.
DCMom 12:40 PM 08-17-2012
Markers are my favorite thing to stock up on. They are so cheap this time of year; I just bought $25 worth of Crayola SuperTips. Love those.

I also like the composition books rather than the spiral notebooks ~ my kids generally wreck the wire spiral so the bound notebooks work better for journals (at least in my world, lol) I personalize one fore each of the kids at the beginning of the 'school' year using scrapbook paper and stickers. They love them.

I go through all my scissors and replace some of the older ones.

#2 pencils and those little cap erasers.

I could go on and on...like Blackcat, I have to be covert about school supplies where my dh is concerned, lol!
Sunchimes 12:53 PM 08-17-2012
Are the off brand washable markers at Wal-Mart any good? I bought Crayola brand for $1.50, but I think the off brand is just 50¢.

I have an office/school supply addiction too. When I had a real job and disposable income, we started buying things as soon as the sales started in early August. By the time school started, we had boxes of supplies. We lived in an old, inner city neighborhood being "revitalized", but basically, it was one of the lowest income schools in the city. We took enough stuff to keep a couple dozen kids in supplies all year. Satisfied my addiction and helped those poor teachers too.
Reply Up