Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dog Attack In My Living Room
BabyMonkeys 10:46 AM 10-31-2014
I have a home daycare that specializes in infants. I currently have 2 10 month old little boys and an almost 4 month old little guy. I have a Boston Terrier, Cookie, that is amazing with the babies. When one of the boys was tiny his mom liked to joke that the only thing that made her super fussy baby happy was the dog.

Almost 3 weeks ago I opened my front door and a random pit bull ran in and grabbed Cookie. My kids (13+16) helped me grab the babies and run to lock themselves in a bedroom. I went back to fight the dog with the help of the man that had knocked on the door.

We were able to force the pit bull to let go and he ran away. Cookie was severely injured. I had to make the call to the parents that they needed to come and get their babies immediately because there was a dog attack..in my living room. My living room was covered in blood and poop and pee. It was like a war zone in here.

The older babies were looking out the window when the dog attacked, and praise God the tiny one was in his bed. The dog dragged cookie into the middle of my living room to attack her. This is where my babies play all day every day. It could have been so much worse than it was. I was terrified that the parents were going to fire me. Thankfully every single one of them (moms+dads) thanked me for protecting their babies. I have amazing parents.

Cookie has been at the vet for nearly three weeks now. She has had to have multiple surgeries. Her vet bills are astronomical. We went through every dime of our savings and are struggling to pay our current bills. Praise God the vet is willing to work with us as far as spacing the payments out a bit. We have already racked up thousands of dollars, and the vet still isn't sure when we will be able to bring her home.

Thanks!
Kristy
NeedaVaca 11:15 AM 10-31-2014
You need to find the owner of the pit bull, he is the one that should be paying.
TaylorTots 11:18 AM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
You need to find the owner of the pit bull, he is the one that should be paying.

BabyMonkeys 11:19 AM 10-31-2014
I wish that I could. I have scoured the neighborhood. All of my neighbors are looking for the dog too. No one had seen it before, and no one has seen it since. I think that it must be a dog that is kept indoors most of the time and it just escaped one day. Believe me, if I could find the owner....
Heidi 12:13 PM 10-31-2014
Wow!

That's all I've got.
BabyMonkeys 12:16 PM 10-31-2014
The man that came to the door wanted to discuss who I would be voting for. He assumed that the dog was mine because apparently it was in my front yard and followed him up to the door. I am thankful that he stuck around to help me fight off the dog. There is no way I would have been able to take him on my own.
NeedaVaca 12:39 PM 10-31-2014
I am sorry about the dog attack, even sorrier that you don't know who the dog belongs to. Unfortunately having a pet CAN be costly. You should look into some savings plans or pet insurance.
Second Home 01:17 PM 10-31-2014
Did you file a police report ? I hope you did .
NightOwl 02:26 PM 10-31-2014
Holy hell. That's one of the most freaky things I've ever heard/read. You'd never seen the dog before that day?
BabyMonkeys 02:51 PM 10-31-2014
Yeah. That is definitely something you can't prepare for. We had never seen the dog before. One of the neighbors saw it the same day that she was attacked, but no one has seen it either prior or after. Talk about a random event!

We filed a report, but with no one knowing where the dog came from, there isn't a whole lot they can do about it.
Josiegirl 04:57 PM 10-31-2014
You must have been scared poopless!!! I cannot imagine having that happen. That was a situation that was bad enough with your dog being injured but I shudder to think what else could have happened.
Soccermom 04:59 PM 10-31-2014
My children and I will surely place cookie in our prayers.

We have a service on Sunday evening where the children all light a candle and say a prayer. I will be sure to let the girls know to pray for your family.

Hugs to you. That must have been so traumatic.
Leigh 07:53 PM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
Yeah. That is definitely something you can't prepare for. We had never seen the dog before. One of the neighbors saw it the same day that she was attacked, but no one has seen it either prior or after. Talk about a random event!

We filed a report, but with no one knowing where the dog came from, there isn't a whole lot they can do about it.
I would be asking the police department to go door to door in your neighborhood looking for the dog. This is a BIG deal to have a dog enter a daycare and cause such an event!

Most "pit bull" type dogs are not human aggressive. Many are dog aggressive...it's something that good breeders have been trying to eliminate in their breeds (and many do a good job of this). Unfortunately, most "pit bulls" are mutts-they're not bred by good breeders and often aren't purebred ABPT or Staffordshire Terriers-they're a mix of several breeds and often bred by people who are just plain idiots trying to create a dog that looks 'tough'.

I encourage you to keep pushing the police department to try to find the owner of this dog.
TaylorTots 09:21 PM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I am sorry about the dog attack, even sorrier that you don't know who the dog belongs to. Unfortunately having a pet CAN be costly. You should look into some savings plans or pet insurance.

Originally Posted by Leigh:
I encourage you to keep pushing the police department to try to find the owner of this dog.

Heidi 06:33 AM 11-01-2014
So, I went to the funding site out of curiosity. I didn't find your request, but I was amazed at how many there were for the same thing. A person or a dog being attacked by a "Pit Bull" and being seriously injured or killed.

There are an equal number of people who are trying to save or rescue Pits.

Please, no one start debating Pit Bulls!

OP, I'm glad your kiddos and you are safe. So sorry about your doggie getting hurt, though.

Did you check to see if your home owners insurance will cover any of it? It's unlikely, but you could ask.
Hazel 10:19 AM 11-01-2014
Omg! In you're house! I'm so sorry! I also have 2 Boston Terriers and one has been attacked by the same Pitt twice! Once on my own front porch.
The attacks were 6 mos apart. First one was my daughter walking the two Bostons and the pit broke through a hole in the owners fence. She scooped up our little Boston but the bigger one got attacked. The second time my dogs were on our gated porch. The little one started barking when the Pitt walked by with its owner. My older boy also started barking between the railing bars and the pit broke lose from it's owner and got him on the face. The first attack, thankfully wasn't severe... The second one was worse but nothing like what yours was. My boy spent weeks of in and out of the vet for the wounds to his face and the. reactions to Meds.
2 weeks after our second attack the Pitt busted through its own from door and got a hold of a small dog. That one was the worst and it required surgeries and over $3000 in bills. The owner of that dog just filed in court for the vet bills and I am about to do the same.
The pit owners NEVER came to me asking how my dog was, if they could help with the bills... Nothing. In fact they were talking around town to people (my older daughter actually walked up on one of these conversations) saying she wasn't paying me a dime! Her nephew is my other child's age and he got all crappy with her calling me a bitch. Saying it's my fault and his aunt isn't paying me sh*t!
I love all dogs and Pitts are no exception. I know MANY that are wonderful family dogs, just like I know many other dogs of different breeds that are nasty.. But even Cesar Milan said that an attack from a Pitt is the most intense for multiple reasons. Not that they are the most likely to do it, just they are severe when they happen.. That's why I avoid the breed.
I pray for your baby and for you and your family. It's a horrible experience. Love, light and healing prayers coming to you
BabyMonkeys 10:31 AM 11-01-2014
I couldn't find the campaign just with my name either. Weird. This is the direct link http://www.gofundme.com/angelw2babies. (Just to read, I was out of line asking for donations)

Pit bulls are not all bad. I grew up with two that were great dogs. One of them loved everyone, while the other one was wonderful with us, but unpredictable with others. They were both raised the same way, so I think that breeding has a huge factor in their behavior.

I hadn't thought to check with my home owners, it's a good idea
Unregistered 11:01 AM 11-01-2014
OMG! How am I not surprised this happened in FL? My husband's aunt lives in FL. She had her border collie mix on the porch with her. She has a high front fence. Her dog would hear other dogs and bark. He heard her a pitbull and barked. It jumped over the fence and killed her dog. The best part was the owners, who were neighbors, would walk by after that and THREATEN her. She eventually had to get a restraining order. In the process, a few neighbors made complaints of them sicking the pitbull on people and it was seized and put to sleep.
missy 01:55 PM 11-06-2014
Try posting in Craigslist in the pet section (within the community section) asking for tips to who owns the dog. Be brief and just say your family had an incident with the dog and you need to locate it's owner immediately. Even offer a small reward if you can to motivate a person to speak up. Describe the dog in the post as much as possible and list your general area/city in the listing but put your street name or one close to it in the narrative.

I am so sorry for you, what a tragic incident!!
Tags:dog problem, pit bull
Reply Up