Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hummus
Silly Songs 05:11 PM 11-14-2016
Do any of you serve hummus for part of the meal or a snack ? I tried to give it to the nanny children and they reacted like I was trying to poison them. I also gave them cucumbers and pita bread, I just thought they would like to try something new.
Claraskids 05:17 PM 11-14-2016
When I first started serving it a few months back, none of my kiddos would touch it. Now only one doesn't eat it, the rest ask for seconds! Keep offering it, but you may have to try different pairings or a different brand. I have to admit that my daycare kids are a bit fussy about the brand of hummus. They can actually taste the difference and have started to request "that Trader Joe one" Miss Clara.
They will eat it with raw veggies, but their favorite side to hummus is homemade tortilla strips with salsa.
LysesKids 05:19 PM 11-14-2016
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Do any of you serve hummus for part of the meal or a snack ? I tried to give it to the nanny children and they reacted like I was trying to poison them. I also gave them cucumbers and pita bread, I just thought they would like to try something new.
I serve hummus to my babies weekly... I started them early on and it's part of the regular rotation along with Pita bread, cucumbers and fresh cooked tortillas
Mom2Two 09:46 PM 11-14-2016
I loooove hummus. Unfortunately DD is allergic to sesame seeds, among other things. Darn.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:48 PM 11-14-2016
Have been trying humus... so far I've convinced 1. I'm hoping the rest will come around.
Rachel 11:38 PM 11-14-2016
I live in Israel and chummos is everywhere! My kids all love it. Just shows how much is cultural. BTW, for the allergic poster I make my own chummos and you can sub peanut butter for the techina if sesame seeds are a problem, or even just leave it out.
Ariana 01:11 AM 11-15-2016
We eat hummus on the regular! My kids favorite is the Costco brand Humm Carmelized Onion and I serve it with costco sweet potato crackers which they also love!
DaveA 03:45 AM 11-15-2016
I've served it a couple of times but don't regularly because one person can't stand it- ME
daycarediva 05:11 AM 11-15-2016
I serve it and say it's dip. My kids gobble anything that is a dip. No idea why. Plain yogurt, hummus, spinach dip. anything that I call 'dip'.
Baby Beluga 05:41 AM 11-15-2016
I serve it about once a week with a veggie tray. Only one eats it, the others just leave it on their plate. Personally I LOVE hummus. One of my favorite lunches is a pita pocket filled with shredded chicken, garlic hummus, shredded carrots and almond slivers.
midaycare 05:42 AM 11-15-2016
I serve it weekly or bi-weekly. Took a few times before they all ate it. Same with sweet potato and kale chips (homemade, not the bagged kind), more unusual fruit like ugli fruit, rambutan, and goji berries, and eggplant was a no-go for several times. But I persisted and now they all eat everything. Brussel sprouts, spinach, kohlrabi...you name it, my dcks eat it.
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 11-15-2016
Originally Posted by DaveA:
I've served it a couple of times but don't regularly because one person can't stand it- ME
I haven't tried it with the kids at all, but I can't stand it.

I wish I liked it... It looks yummy and the different flavors they have seem intriguing but I just can't like it.

I think for me it's a texture thing. Re-fried beans are the same for me...I love beans, I love all types of beans but I just can't do refried.

I like the general flavor of hummus but the texture makes me gag.

I think it's awesome when kids are served this type of thing though! It's so good for them!
Pepperth 06:39 AM 11-15-2016
My pickiest eater LOVES hummus, so I serve it a lot. Of course, he uses his finger instead of the complimentary vegetable.
MissAnn 11:34 AM 11-15-2016
Recipes? I need easy ones! I used the serve the roasted garbonzos but lately they like them straight out of the pressure cooker with a little pink salt. See? I only do easy.
Reply Up