Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-30-2017, 07:35 PM
catinthebox's Avatar
catinthebox catinthebox is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: California
Posts: 70
Default Child Being Bully At School

one of the kids from the site, has been bullying by another child from her school, when she first came here like two months ago. She had told me about this issue and i gave her the first advice was to speak up and tell the teachers and parents about it. She then told me that mom knows this and that the school and teachers don't do anything about it. So, today one of our newest worker came to me and told me that the bully has now been harming her by putting her hands on her neck.

My question is, what do we do from a daycare worker perspective to help this issue go away since it has now elevated to physical harm? From what she told me, mom already know but i am not too sure if she knews that now it has gotten to this point. I was thinking of telling mom or dad today about it but forgot.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-30-2017, 07:48 PM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,616
Default

CA law strangely doesn't make every resident a mandatory reporter of child abuse, but if you work at a licensed day care center you are a mandatory reporter:

10) A licensee, an administrator, or an employee of a licensed community care or child day care facility

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ionNum=11165.7

Physical abuse by another child is beyond bullying. See this page for "Obligations of Mandated Reporters", about halfway down:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ss/ap/child...rtingguide.asp

I would get with your center's director ASAP. That person should have been trained about how to handle this. I have never been in this situation and don't know if there's a way to handle it through the schools or the parents before escalating it to the police, but you should be aware of the law.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-30-2017, 09:47 PM
catinthebox's Avatar
catinthebox catinthebox is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: California
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
CA law strangely doesn't make every resident a mandatory reporter of child abuse, but if you work at a licensed day care center you are a mandatory reporter:

10) A licensee, an administrator, or an employee of a licensed community care or child day care facility

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ionNum=11165.7

Physical abuse by another child is beyond bullying. See this page for "Obligations of Mandated Reporters", about halfway down:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ss/ap/child...rtingguide.asp

I would get with your center's director ASAP. That person should have been trained about how to handle this. I have never been in this situation and don't know if there's a way to handle it through the schools or the parents before escalating it to the police, but you should be aware of the law.
Will find out more about it from the child and then will report it to my boss.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-30-2017, 10:48 PM
mommyneedsadayoff's Avatar
mommyneedsadayoff mommyneedsadayoff is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthebox View Post
one of the kids from the site, has been bullying by another child from her school, when she first came here like two months ago. She had told me about this issue and i gave her the first advice was to speak up and tell the teachers and parents about it. She then told me that mom knows this and that the school and teachers don't do anything about it. So, today one of our newest worker came to me and told me that the bully has now been harming her by putting her hands on her neck.

My question is, what do we do from a daycare worker perspective to help this issue go away since it has now elevated to physical harm? From what she told me, mom already know but i am not too sure if she knews that now it has gotten to this point. I was thinking of telling mom or dad today about it but forgot.
Is the bullying happening at school and she is telling you about it when she gets to daycare? If it is happening at school, the parent needs to step in and speak with the school. Putting your hands on someone in school is considered assault, so if tey are having a hard time getting a response from teh school, they need to go higher up and find out what rights they have to get her moved or in a safe environment.

If this is happening at daycare, you need to tell your director and they need to handle it asap. Putting your hands on another person is NOT OKAY. I am glad this child has you as an advocate and I hope you can get it resolved!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2017, 09:16 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,642
Default

Right or wrong I would not hesitate to call the school on this child's behalf and let the parents know I did so.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-31-2017, 09:32 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
Is the bullying happening at school and she is telling you about it when she gets to daycare? If it is happening at school, the parent needs to step in and speak with the school. Putting your hands on someone in school is considered assault, so if tey are having a hard time getting a response from teh school, they need to go higher up and find out what rights they have to get her moved or in a safe environment.

If this is happening at daycare, you need to tell your director and they need to handle it asap. Putting your hands on another person is NOT OKAY. I am glad this child has you as an advocate and I hope you can get it resolved!
Yep.

I have called the school and the bus garage on behalf of my daycare kids before. I am listed as the responsible party by the bus, and an authorized pick up/drop off person by the school. I also send parents a message stating what happened and what I was told, if they feel the need to follow up further.

We just pulled our youngest out of school, as there was literally no consequences for this so called 'bullying', (and imho-ASSAULT)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,616
Default

Good for you, Diva.

Just to be clear, OP, if you're not familiar with mandatory reporting law--it has nothing to do with where it happens and who's doing it; in your position, you're required to report abuse if you have good reason to believe it's taking place. Doesn't matter if it's one of your day care kids or a stranger. And, if I read the info in that second link correctly, contacting the school doesn't count--you have to report it to a different agency. So in your place, I'd discuss it with my director so we'd have a game plan in place if the parents/the school weren't responsive. It's not just for the child's well being but also because your center needs employees who follow and are familiar with the law.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-08-2017, 01:59 AM
catinthebox's Avatar
catinthebox catinthebox is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: California
Posts: 70
Default

update! I talked to the coworker about the child and asked for more information and found out that the child had reported this to my boss like a few months ago and to her parents.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bully

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Behavioral Policy Lorna Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 11-03-2015 07:25 AM
Thoughts On Particular Child - Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 12-17-2014 05:54 AM
Does Anyone Home School??? Michael Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 01-11-2011 08:16 AM
Child Abuse Laws Preschool/daycare teacher Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 09-21-2010 02:49 PM
Laundry's Contract (Three Parts) laundryduchess@yahoo.com Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 02-02-2010 12:10 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming