Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program
tenderhearts 07:02 AM 07-27-2010
I've been on the food program for years. I just started an infant and couldn't remember all the details with having an infant on the program. From the beginning I told this family that I do not supply forumla but I do supply the baby food once they have tried new foods they tell me what they've tried and brand and I buy it. I have never supplied forumla. So I talked with someone at the food program and she said that if you want them on the food program I have to "offer" a specific brand, if they choose to use it then I have to supply it, if they choose not to use it and they supply whatever brand they want and I can claim it. So here's the problem, I've already told them I don't supply the forumla, they have already filled out the usda form but how do I go back and tell her this, I mean it's going to be obvious if I say I'll supply Similac already knowing that isn't what they use they are going to think I did it on purpose. I want her on the food program because eventually I'll be supplying her baby food and cereals. Any suggestions?
tymaboy 08:22 AM 07-27-2010
It is the same here. I told the worker I dont supply & she asked what would I supply if I did. That worked for my rep. I have it posted in my policy that they supply diapers, wipes & formula if they want me to supply it then it is an extra $40 a week. That way if if a parent doesnt want to deal with it then it is worth my while to make sure I have it in stock. If I supply it, it is my choose as to what I buy not some name brand stuff that the parent would prefer.
tenderhearts 08:26 AM 07-27-2010
Thanks, but I already told her I didn't supply forumla, but the lady at the food program said if I want to put them on the food program I need to "offer" them a brand that I would supply, so basically if I said oh I'll supply similac and she says ok then I have to supply it. I already know what they feed the baby so if I said that she's going to think I chose a different brand on purpose, that's what I'm afraid of.
MarinaVanessa 08:31 AM 07-27-2010
When I had infants and was on the food program i told the families that I used Kirkland brand formula. You get it from Costco. None of my parents ever wanted to use it and always either wanted Similac or Infamil so it was never an issue and I never had to buy it. I really don't think that you'll have an issue with it even now if you decided not to tell them but if you want to tell them (this same thing happened to me) just say exactly what you just told us "I havn't had an infant on the food program in so long that I had forgotten how it goes. I can offer Kirkland formula from Costco and if you decide to you use another brand then you can supply it". Easy as pie.

The only bad thing is that if they decide to switch or already use it then you'd have to supply it but believe me it's ALOT cheaper that buying similac or enfamil. The negative is that you have to buy it in a 6 pack case for about $100 at a time but they're large cans (36oz) vs. buying a 6 pack of Enfamil from Target for $85 for smaller cans (12oz) or pay even more if you buy each can seperately (even buying the kirkland case at costco is cheaper than buying a case of large cans Enfamil from costco or buying each large can seperately from somewhere else . These are our prices in southern CA so it could be different in your area.

P.S. My food program rep. recommended this brand and as far as I know they all did (in my area) so you coulod say that this is the recommended brand. That way they don't feel like you chose this brand because they use something else. You can also tell them the truth and just say that you choose Kirkland (or whatever cheaper brand) because it's less expensive and the food program doesn't pay for all of it, only reimburses for part of it so you have to keep costs low in order to keep rates low.
GretasLittleFriends 08:34 AM 07-27-2010
Do you know what the baby drinks? I offered the Walmart Generic and he mom of the infant I had declined because her baby was "used" to some more expensive soy (very nasty smelling) formula. In my contract it says I'll offer Parents Choice or whatever is least expensive the time of my shopping. The concern here for most parents is that their baby would be changing formulas... Could you do something like that?
tenderhearts 08:54 AM 07-27-2010
that's the problem is I know what they use, so if I now throw out and say I'll use such and such brand they are going to think I offered what they aren't using just so I don't have to supply it. Now they have already filled out the form and I could just fill it in but I wouldn't feel right now being honest with how it works that I am suppose to supply if they choose what I put down.
mismatchedsocks 09:10 AM 07-27-2010
I understand what you are saying!

Try this.. " I talked to my food program rep last night and she said I have to offer to serve at least one formula. I called around stores, and the cheapest is ______. This will be the one I will offer, since the food program only reimburses me part of the cost. If you would like to switch baby to this I would be more then happy to buy it, but if not i understand."
Lilbutterflie 09:29 AM 07-27-2010
A little bit more about the Kirkland formula; it IS a lot cheaper & I've had doctors actually say it is made at the same factory and has the same ingredients as Enfamil; it's just packaged differently. I used it on my own children, and it was great. When I bought it at my Costco, I just bought them in packs of 2, not 6 as described above. Maybe it's packaged differently depending on which state the Costco is in.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to just say "It's been so long since I've had an infant on the food program, I forgot the specific rules. I have to offer you one brand of formula, which will be ______ formula. If you would like to switch to this brand, I would be more than happy to supply it. If you would prefer not to, then you would need to supply the formula." I would not be offended in the least if I was the DCM.
tenderhearts 09:34 AM 07-27-2010
but don't you think she's going to think I purposely am not serving the brand she is now supplying just so I wont have to buy it? this mom seems like she can be bi*chy if you rub her the wrong way so I'm afraid she'll think I did that, I dont know foresure but I don't want someone thinking I did that on purpose since I know what she serves and no it wouldn't have been one I would have selected even if I had already known.
mismatchedsocks 09:35 AM 07-27-2010
What was her brand?
MarinaVanessa 09:56 AM 07-27-2010
Just respond by explaining that in order to keep rates down you have to cut costs. I have also heard from my pediatrician that Kirkland brand is the same as Enfamil and here's another tid-bit ... (gasp) so is similac!! Back around 2004 when my daughter was born Enfamil change their formula a bit and sold their old formula recipe to Similac. So you can always tell them that if they use Similac. Either way Kirkland is a good brand and much cheaper.

assuming they use Similac:
"It's been a while since I have had an infant on the food program and when I talked to my representative I realized that I must offer a formula and then you can choose whether or not you'd like to use it or supply your own. I did some research and decided to use Kirkland which is sold by Costco. It's the same as if you were using Enfamil it's just different packaging. I know you use Similac (again, assuming they use similac) and just wanted to make you are aware that Similac now uses Enfamil's old recipe so in essence Similac is Enfamil. But don't worry, you can always decide to supply me with your own formula."
Lilbutterflie 10:21 AM 07-27-2010
As long as you explain that you are not being 100% reimbursed by the food program and you are trying to keep costs low to keep your rates low, she should not assume that you are choosing an off brand so that you don't have to supply it. If she does assume this, then you have much bigger problems on your hands!
You have to do things for your business and try not to care what the daycare parents think about it.
Natalie 10:32 AM 07-27-2010
I was told by my food program that you cannot charge more just because you might have to supply the formula!
When I used to bring my kids to a daycare provider she ALWAYS supplied formula, no matter what kind people wanted.
I do supply the formula for my families now I just offer the walmart brand (its all the same stuff) And I have not had 1 parent complain!
tenderhearts 12:36 PM 07-27-2010
They use Earths Best organic soy. I talked with my food rep today and she said since I'm only giving her 2 oz a day of the formula and the rest is breastmilk don't even put that they use formula. I said well they already filled out the form so how do I put on there what I would supply, she told me to just write it in there. Which is cool but I feel "wrong" about doing that after they have signed it. Plus what if someone knows the food program and tells her this? Should i just do what you guys have advised me and just talk with her or do what the food rep said?
mismatchedsocks 03:45 PM 07-27-2010
I would do what food rep said. And that is expensive formula. If mom asks I would say I am using a more familiar brand in case I have other babies start too. Good luck!
MarinaVanessa 04:42 PM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by Natalie:
I was told by my food program that you cannot charge more just because you might have to supply the formula!
When I used to bring my kids to a daycare provider she ALWAYS supplied formula, no matter what kind people wanted.
I do supply the formula for my families now I just offer the walmart brand (its all the same stuff) And I have not had 1 parent complain!
She's not charging more if she's providing formula. Buying cheaper of everything is just another way to keep costs low is what was meant. Provider's shop around, clip coupons, buy generic, buy used, etc. to keep daycare rates low. If we aren't making enough money to pay our bills and daycare costs then there's no reason to do daycare at all. Buying the less expensive formula is just one way for her to keep rates low and not HAVE to increase rates for a while. I didn't mean buy the cheap stuff and charge the same or offer expensive formula and charge her the difference.

Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Should i just do what you guys have advised me and just talk with her or do what the food rep said?
I would do what the rep says since they are the ones with the regulations for you to follow. If you were told to do it this way then that's the way to do it. If you still feel bad about giving her information that isn't correct then you can still tell her but I don't think it's necessary. Their formula isn't what's typically given (usually the popular brands are Infamil & Similac) and it's up to you what you want to offer anyway.
tenderhearts 09:18 PM 07-27-2010
Well my food rep came in for my visit today, she said I was in your area and knew I was due to come so I figured I would come and put you at rest. I said I just feel wrong writing something on the form after they have signed it not knowing I filled it in, she grabbed the paper and said ok honey here I'll do it. So all taken care of, she also said that the organic is different and that I don't have to supply "organic" it's considered special diet. Thanks everyone.
Natalie 05:28 AM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
She's not charging more if she's providing formula. Buying cheaper of everything is just another way to keep costs low is what was meant. Provider's shop around, clip coupons, buy generic, buy used, etc. to keep daycare rates low. If we aren't making enough money to pay our bills and daycare costs then there's no reason to do daycare at all. Buying the less expensive formula is just one way for her to keep rates low and not HAVE to increase rates for a while. I didn't mean buy the cheap stuff and charge the same or offer expensive formula and charge her the difference.

Im sorry it was tymaboy who said that she charges $40 more a week if she has to buy formula and diapers and stuff
Tags:food program
Reply Up