Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>W Sitting In Baby. HELP! Nan?
dEHmom 07:16 AM 12-21-2011
DCK is 1.5 yrs of age not even. On the chubbier side. I can feel in the legs there is no muscle tone. Very floppy legs. Walks, stands, etc.

I've pulled up some info online, and emailed it to mom, as we've discussed before that I am concerned about this. Even if I sit on the floor and correct it, instantly they go right back. If I place on a chair, dck will move back to the floor and sit this way.

I know how horrible it is, and I can see it is already affecting dck. But I don't know how to correct it. I'm at a loss I don't want to strap her in a chair or anything to keep her off the floor, but even on the couch dck will do this. I don't know what else to do. I have been considering maybe some sort of homemade pant that doesn't allow the legs to seperate that far, but then she will be stuck to the floor, and not able to walk around.

Also, I don't know if there's any kind of correlation, but when she sleeps, she sleeps on her knees with her bum in the air.
godiva83 08:01 AM 12-21-2011
Some doctors say 'W' sitting is okay, some say it can cause major issues in joints... I agree with the later and should not be encouraged.

I have/had a little boy who sat like that constantly I always had to reposition. I used positive reinforcement when I saw him kneeling or sitting in a better position and readjusted he finally got the idea that he was sitting incorrectly.

I also used a 'Bumbo' with him a lot

Good luck

Oh I doubt the bum up on knees sleeping position has any relation a lot of children sleep like that including my DS and doesn't 'W' sit.
dEHmom 08:05 AM 12-21-2011
I just noticed that when she wants something, she leans forward on her hands and knees, grabs it, and then just plops her bum back, so legs are still behind her. She doesn't use any other muscles other than forward and back. i haven't really left her side today for more than a few seconds at a time, and I just keep putting her legs into a crossed legs position.

She fights it still, but she'll sit there a little longer, even reaching forward and grabbing her toes, and now she leaned to the side and use her arm to rest on.

Seems to me, that because I waited and now emailed mom about it, dcg is going to be more cooperative about it. lol.
JenNJ 08:11 AM 12-21-2011
Have you ever tried doing yoga poses with the kids. I borrow DVDs from the library and the kids adore them. It has greatly helped my W sitter who is 20 months old. He barely does it anymore.
dEHmom 08:19 AM 12-21-2011
dcg is one of those that just sort of sits back and watches everything or everyone. I have mom and baby yoga, but she doesn't do any of it. I think she's a little behind in a few things, she acts more like a 9 month old than a year and a half. I hate saying that, I feel horrible saying that. But she is one that never really left moms hip before, and when she started, I told mom for her to be successful with the daycare, she's going to have to stop carrying her around, and running to her every time she cries. That worked very quickly.

I've always found that even lets say, if I have a cold, I could have it for months and months and months, as soon as the doctor appointment day comes, I am fine.

So I've discussed with dcm about this before, but just got around to emailing links today, and I appear to be making a bit of progress now. lol. Of course. And I posted on here today for help too, so again, a bit of progress. It's just the second I walk away she goes right back. I just put her on the couch to watch a christmas show she was watching on the floor, she hates being off of the floor, but she's not W sitting now. although she does look about to fall asleep. p.s. ASLEEP
Heidi 10:30 AM 12-21-2011
My niiece, nephew, and three of my own children sat like this. They are now 22,21,19,14,& 11. They have no problems, with the exception of my 19yo, who had OT/PT in grade school, but is now in the army (he's a sniper). He not only sat in the "w" position, he also could not sit at the dinner table without one leg up. It drove me nuts.

When we picked him up from basic training graduation last year, it was quite a shock to see my son in his dress uniform, sitting properly at the table!
kendallina 10:40 AM 12-21-2011
My 3 year old DD has very low muscle tone, didn't walk until 20 months and was in physical therapy for quite a while. She's a W sitter, as well. Her physical therapist never liked that she was a W sitter, although I know that there is disagreement about whether it is okay or not (I did it as a kid...). The therapist had us get a pair of these:

http://www.hiphelpers.com/

They're called hip helpers and they are basically stretchy shorts that are sewn together at the thigh. We were supposed to put her in them for 15-minute stretches a couple of times a day, for therapy purposes, not really to correct her W sitting all day long, just enough for her to develop some muscle memory for regular sitting as well as to help her sit without using the W position, and using her ab muscles instead. Obviously, you can't really walk well in these, so they are not meant to be worn for extended periods of time.

I, personally, wouldn't use these without a doctor or physical therapist giving the okay. If she truly does have low muscle tone, then mom should speak with the doc to see if whether there is something that can/should be done.

ETA: if she's doing the W sit constantly, then it makes me wonder if her ab muscles are very low tone and/or weak. There are muscle strengthening exercises that can be done to help those muscles. We did a lot of activities on an exercise ball for my DD to build up these muscles. But, again, I probably wouldn't do anything until she speaks with a doctor or physical therapist. Hope that helps!
spud912 12:13 PM 12-21-2011
I always sat "W" style when I was young (still do 1/2 the time, although I'm not quite as flexible). I actually would lay down with my legs in the W form too (I can still do that too, but it's much more uncomfortable haha). I turned out fine . I do remember adults always trying to get me to sit other ways, but I just never felt comfortable unless I was sitting W style.
dEHmom 12:23 PM 12-21-2011
I used to sit that way as well. It's a normal position for kids to do when they are on the floor. However, this is ALL she does. Even on the couch, in a chair, and when she is being held, her legs are still spread back in a W form. She does walk, with no curving of the feet, but she would rather just sit there instead of moving around much. If there is something she wants that is out of reach, she will slide her way over, or sit and point and cry. I don't deliver items to the kids, unless they are up over head and out of reach. She has learned that I don't, so we are good in that department.

It wouldn't bother me if she occassionally sat this way, but it's 99% of the awake time she is sitting in a W fashion. Mostly with her blanket clung to her between the legs where she can also protect it from others.
Michael 02:41 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I used to sit that way as well. It's a normal position for kids to do when they are on the floor.
Hey, nice to have you visit us again. I think you taking the time to correct her is going to save her a life a hip and joint problems. Hopefully you can get the parents on board at home.
frgsonmysox 07:44 AM 12-22-2011
I have a connective tissue disorder, and it causes hypermobility. Hypermobility is common in young kids, but it shouldn't be encouraged. I can sit "w" style and I find it quite comfortable but it does a LOT of damage to your joints and ligaments and tendons.
Tags:injury, posture, sitting problems
Reply Up