Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing- So Worried About My Kids Adjusting!
NorthernMNgal 11:48 AM 06-22-2015
So I have made the decision to close. I have just come to the conclusion that daycare is not right for me. I have loved being home with my boys for a year and a half but I am just done and can't seem to talk myself back into it. I have a job interview next week that I will more than likely get (it's my old position).

My big worry is how my 2 and 4 year old will adjust to going to daycare without me! I guess I'm just looking for some words of encouragement. How do I prepare them?
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by NorthernMNgal:
So I have made the decision to close. I have just come to the conclusion that daycare is not right for me. I have loved being home with my boys for a year and a half but I am just done and can't seem to talk myself back into it. I have a job interview next week that I will more than likely get (it's my old position).

My big worry is how my 2 and 4 year old will adjust to going to daycare without me! I guess I'm just looking for some words of encouragement. How do I prepare them?
I think kids are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for.

I'd play the "you are going to make so many friends and have so much fun!" card. Kids LOVE to play and make friends....I am betting your idea of adjustment is much different than their ide of adjustment.

I am sure they will love daycare if you find the right fit. Plus if you still spend lots of quality family time together outside of work you and your boys will probably be much happier if your heart wasn't really into being a provider yourself.

Good luck on your new adventure!
Thriftylady 12:10 PM 06-22-2015
I agree with BC. A happier mom often means happier kids. Make them see it as a positive, and it will be great!
NorthernMNgal 12:14 PM 06-22-2015
Yes I am thinking a little separation might be good for us in the long run. I'm not really worried too much about my 4 year old. It's my 2 year old, who has never been in daycare away from me that I'm worried about. But I'm sure he will do great. He's a little sweetheart And I do plan to worry about cleaning the house less and just having 5-9 be fun family time!
NorthernMNgal 12:29 PM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think kids are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for.

I'd play the "you are going to make so many friends and have so much fun!" card. Kids LOVE to play and make friends....I am betting your idea of adjustment is much different than their ide of adjustment.

I am sure they will love daycare if you find the right fit. Plus if you still spend lots of quality family time together outside of work you and your boys will probably be much happier if your heart wasn't really into being a provider yourself.

Good luck on your new adventure!
Blackcat I know you have been doing this a long time. Have you had a 2 year old before that was in daycare for the first time? How do they usually adjust? I know, it totally depends on the kid but thought I would ask what your experience has been.
Blackcat31 12:44 PM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by NorthernMNgal:
Blackcat I know you have been doing this a long time. Have you had a 2 year old before that was in daycare for the first time? How do they usually adjust? I know, it totally depends on the kid but thought I would ask what your experience has been.
Funny that you did.... I just started a brand new 2 yr old (turned 2 in May) today. Full time, first time in care...been home with mom his entire life.

He is a very social child and really likes the other kids....the older ones are trying to be his buddy and show him the ropes and the littler ones are really in awe of him (a new older playmate...always interesting ) so the day has gone fairly well so far.

The play time is usually the easiest to manage as ANY child, (shy/outgoing or introvert/extrovert) usually cannot help but be interested in toys and all the hub bub of the other kids doing their thing (playing) so I was a little concerned with how meal time and nap time was going to go but surprisingly he ate everything and chatty happily with the others at meal time. Then when it was time for rest, he choose a pillow, blanket and mat and settled down no problem.

I play audio books during rest time so it's like story time.... I did give him the option of which story we were going to listen to (usually I pick but I allow newbies to have some control...) and he chose a good one and happily laid right down and was promptly asleep within the first 10 minutes.

I don't think he's really had a chance to miss mama as we're a pretty busy group so that has helped a lot!

I think if you choose a daycare that really offers him something that matches his personality, he'll be fine. If he's super social, choose a busy active program that has no infants but if he is a snuggler and really likes to be quiet and low key, I'd look for one that has only a small number of kids and a low key routine.

Transition was the worst...it's hard to separate from mom/dad at drop off but that is one part of my day I really really cover with my new families...I always tell them kids will adjust better if they make the drop off short and sweet....hug, kiss, mommy will be back right after work, have a good day, love you and out the door....

I will almost always send a picture of the child happily playing within the first hour because I truly believe it's harder on mom than it is on the child....

This morning, I had to more or less peel my new little guy off his mom but once mom was actually out the door, his disposition immediately changed and the pull to play was pretty strong so off he went....

I don't know your little guy and what his personality is like but hopefully that helps a little....
Shell 01:20 PM 06-22-2015
I'm in the exact same position as you- except mine are 5 and 2.

I'm likely going back to my old job, too. I think it will be tough, but I'm kind of excited to clean my house and have it stay clean, not worry about licensing and all the work that comes with it, and being able to take time off and get paid a set amount each week.

I've been at this about 5 yrs between getting licensed, and getting it all up and running. It's my own fault- I thought being self employed would lead me to be in charge of my days, but I found I would feel so guilty about taking a day off that I would neglect my needs.
For example, the other day, I needed to fill a prescription (got it later in the day, and dr couldn't call it in) and I couldn't get to the store a mile away because of my schedule with the dc kids. There's so many examples of this.

Mine isn't definite yet, but I feel it's time for a change!
NorthernMNgal 03:07 PM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Funny that you did.... I just started a brand new 2 yr old (turned 2 in May) today. Full time, first time in care...been home with mom his entire life.

He is a very social child and really likes the other kids....the older ones are trying to be his buddy and show him the ropes and the littler ones are really in awe of him (a new older playmate...always interesting ) so the day has gone fairly well so far.

The play time is usually the easiest to manage as ANY child, (shy/outgoing or introvert/extrovert) usually cannot help but be interested in toys and all the hub bub of the other kids doing their thing (playing) so I was a little concerned with how meal time and nap time was going to go but surprisingly he ate everything and chatty happily with the others at meal time. Then when it was time for rest, he choose a pillow, blanket and mat and settled down no problem.

I play audio books during rest time so it's like story time.... I did give him the option of which story we were going to listen to (usually I pick but I allow newbies to have some control...) and he chose a good one and happily laid right down and was promptly asleep within the first 10 minutes.

I don't think he's really had a chance to miss mama as we're a pretty busy group so that has helped a lot!

I think if you choose a daycare that really offers him something that matches his personality, he'll be fine. If he's super social, choose a busy active program that has no infants but if he is a snuggler and really likes to be quiet and low key, I'd look for one that has only a small number of kids and a low key routine.

Transition was the worst...it's hard to separate from mom/dad at drop off but that is one part of my day I really really cover with my new families...I always tell them kids will adjust better if they make the drop off short and sweet....hug, kiss, mommy will be back right after work, have a good day, love you and out the door....

I will almost always send a picture of the child happily playing within the first hour because I truly believe it's harder on mom than it is on the child....

This morning, I had to more or less peel my new little guy off his mom but once mom was actually out the door, his disposition immediately changed and the pull to play was pretty strong so off he went....

I don't know your little guy and what his personality is like but hopefully that helps a little....
That does help a lot! Thank you so much!
rosieteddy 03:43 PM 06-22-2015
I have posted about having to close down with no notice(heart attack)last Feb.I had all my DC children since 3 months.They all had to find alternate care quickly.It all went fine the 15 month old boy and 18monthold shared a nanny,others went to 2 ddifferant centers. After 6 weeks I went to visit each family all the kids seemed well adjusted.This weekend I saw them again at a birthday party they were great.It was very apparant that I had a much harder time letting go. I told the parents that they could make or break the transition.That if they put a good spin on the change things would run smoothly and they did.
Tags:closing daycare
Reply Up