Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Open on July 4????
3kidzmama 04:42 PM 06-16-2011
Are any of you open on July 4? My husband just looked at the calendar I printed for our clients and it has July 4 listed as one of our days of being closed. We just opened this week, so he immediately says "You shouldn't close on July 4 because we just opened." He went on to say that several people don't get that day off work and that I should basically suck it up and remain open.
WTH?????
He's seriously irritating me right now!!!!!

So, are you open or closed?
daycare 04:45 PM 06-16-2011
I am open, but the only reason I am is because most of my client own their own retail companies and they dont close.
Before I had these type of clients I always closed on holidays

You know your clients do you think they need to work on the 4th?
I think most daycare centers are closed this day
VTMom 05:02 PM 06-16-2011
Are you planning on closing for the 4th in following years? If so, I would definitely take the holiday off. I don't think anyone would find it odd that you're closing for a holiday.
cheerfuldom 05:02 PM 06-16-2011
If they all signed the contract with that holiday on it, then there should be no problem. If you remain open on a major holiday even though your contract says you are closed, be prepared for parents to bring up this allowance EVERY holiday until the end of time. Stick to your contract and remind each parent that you are closed on the 4th and if they need alternative care, they must provide that for their own child (as I am assuming your contract states that as well)
MsMe 05:05 PM 06-16-2011
I will be closed and ON VACATION

I alway s close on major holidays and I don't think it matters that you just opened. July 4th is a national holiday. If we were talking about Good Friday then maybe there would be a little wiggle room but you do not want to start a pattern of inconsitancy so early on.

Close and have a wonderfull day with your family!!!
momma2girls 05:12 PM 06-16-2011
If your contract states you are closed, then stick to it. Do not start out by handing favors out to everyone, because it will for sure bite you in the butt!!
3kidzmama 05:16 PM 06-16-2011
THANK YOU!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I told him... if we do it for this holiday they will expect it everytime we are supposed to close...
And, yes, it clearly states in my contract and in my policies/handbook (both of which they signed) that we are closed on that day.
ugh!!!! My hubby needs to take care of his business and stay out of mine! LOL
cheerfuldom 05:36 PM 06-16-2011
yeah I agree. my hubby used to have lots of opinions about how I should run things. It was very annoying since most of the suggestions involved making life harder for me and easier for him. hang in there. things get easier as you go along and it will be an adjustment for both of you.
sharlan 05:38 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by 3kidzmama:
THANK YOU!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I told him... if we do it for this holiday they will expect it everytime we are supposed to close...
And, yes, it clearly states in my contract and in my policies/handbook (both of which they signed) that we are closed on that day.
ugh!!!! My hubby needs to take care of his business and stay out of mine! LOL
You'll find most will agree with your here.

I've always closed on all major holidays.
WDW 07:31 PM 06-16-2011
I'm closed. I think you should be too.
momofboys 08:03 PM 06-16-2011
Closed for all holidays & you should be too! Really if someone works an unusual schedule they need to have back-up in place.
Meyou 04:26 AM 06-17-2011
Close and enjoy your weekend.
3kidzmama 04:31 AM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Close and enjoy your weekend.
Just put a reminder note on the door... CLOSED on July 4.
melissa ann 04:33 AM 06-17-2011
I have a dcm who works in the restaurant field and for 2 years her dad also had his grandson in my care. He works in retail. From the day I opened, I listed I am closed for all major holiday. They had to make other arrangements for their kids. Not my problem that is their field of work. I also opended the end of March and in July took a week vacation. I debated on that one, but didn't want to go until the following year for a week off.
Mike Lassiter 04:44 AM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
You'll find most will agree with your here.

I've always closed on all major holidays.
LOL!
Again from the male perspective:
Your husband should be your partner in this and while I agree with what you said to a point about him staying out of "your business" this is sort of both of your's business. I am guessing hehas been involved in helping in some ways up till now. If so he is trying to help I think.
Most understand men and women think differently. If he is new to this (I'm so new we are going to day 2 of orientation next Wensd) so he can't possible know the LONG TERM consequences of doing this yet. Luckily you have friends here that have that experience you can council with for guidance. Share these things with your husband and you both learn together.
Good luck also on starting your new business.
KEG123 05:03 AM 06-17-2011
I am taking it off. I've only been "open" since the first week in May. I took off Memorial Day, too.
Cat Herder 05:14 AM 06-17-2011
My hubby needs to take care of his business and stay out of mine!
Very much so.

National Holidays are a given, paid.

Now, I will not be closing on the 5th, although I know many around here are.
jen 05:37 AM 06-17-2011
Closed...word of advice, it's YOUR business, not your husbands. Unless he is actively involved in caring for children, do what works for you. Otherwise, you'll end up frustrated and burned out.
boysx5 05:42 AM 06-17-2011
closed because if you open for ones who need it you will find others will use you so they can enjoy a day off without children
cheerfuldom 08:54 AM 06-17-2011
I agree with Jen very strongly. Unless your hubby is actually caring for the kids or dealing with stuff day to day, he needs to shut his pie hole. sorry thats harsh but seriously you will drive yourself crazy taking advice from someone who has no idea what they are talking about.
harperluu 10:13 AM 06-17-2011
Are any of you open on July 4? My husband just looked at the calendar I printed for our clients and it has July 4 listed as one of our days of being closed. We just opened this week, so he immediately says "You shouldn't close on July 4 because we just opened." He went on to say that several people don't get that day off work and that I should basically suck it up and remain open.
WTH?????
He's seriously irritating me right now!!!!!

So, are you open or closed?
Is it a paid holiday? Maybe he doesn't realize that your holidays are paid. My husband didn't, and boy was he pleasantly surprised!
jojosmommy 11:50 AM 06-17-2011
I am closed 4th and 5th. I give parents the yearly days off in Jan and they make plans accordingly. They certainly don't keep their kids home when they have a day off work.
TBird 01:18 PM 06-17-2011
Surely he jests!!! I just opened in January and I've been closed on all the major holidays thus far, PLUS I'm taking a week's vacation for the 4th of July. Haven't had any problem getting clients and they all signed my Closing Schedule. BUH BYE!!!
MarinaVanessa 01:20 PM 06-17-2011
Sometimes I close, sometimes I open. I decide based on my mood, how tired I am, how many clients I have that don't take it off etc... whatever I feel like doing. The 4th is listed as one of my paid holidays but I remember not closing on that day the 1st year I opened because I only had 1 client at the time and she didn't get it off AND she had just signed up in April. But then I closed the following year and so on. It has never been a problem for me when I do this.

I just let my clients know "Oh hey, you know my family and I didn't make plans for [holiday] and so I decided not to take it off afterall so I'll be open that day." I just have them tell me whether or not they're going to need me because they work. If not many of my clients work that holiday or need me then I just close anyway. Not really a big deal with my families. They know to expect me to close on those days and to prepare, if I end up not closing then it's just a plus for them.

** just to make add, I usually have closed on the holidays that I say I'm closed on but sometimes my hubby is busy doing boy stuff and my daughter is at her dad's house and I don't have anything to do so I choose to stay open. It's a choice I make because I'd rather be with the daycare kids vs home alone. Ever since the new baby arrived 7 months ago my housework is either behind or I'd rather spend the day with the baby anyway so you better believe that I've closed on all of my paid holidays since the birth of the baby
squareone 01:44 PM 06-17-2011
I am closed.

Regardless of when you opened, if it is listed as closed in your contract then you should be CLOSED. The parents signed it so they should be expecting it.
3kidzmama 06:33 AM 06-18-2011
Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter:
LOL!
Again from the male perspective:
Your husband should be your partner in this and while I agree with what you said to a point about him staying out of "your business" this is sort of both of your's business. I am guessing hehas been involved in helping in some ways up till now. If so he is trying to help I think.
Most understand men and women think differently. If he is new to this (I'm so new we are going to day 2 of orientation next Wensd) so he can't possible know the LONG TERM consequences of doing this yet. Luckily you have friends here that have that experience you can council with for guidance. Share these things with your husband and you both learn together.
Good luck also on starting your new business.
Mike, my hubby definitely is my partner in this, and yes, he has put a TON of work into this, both mentally and physically. He completely built 3 bathrooms and a full kitchen, as well as the nursery and toddler rooms from scratch and all on his own. I really don't mean that he needs to stay out of my business. I was just venting.
I realize how that sounded to you and truthfully it would hurt his feelings of he read it. Thank you for pointing this out to me, and for the encouragement. Good luck to you as well
Mike Lassiter 05:22 AM 06-19-2011
[quote=3kidzmama;121065]Mike, my hubby definitely is my partner in this, and yes, he has put a TON of work into this, both mentally and physically. He completely built 3 bathrooms and a full kitchen, as well as the nursery and toddler rooms from scratch and all on his own. I really don't mean that he needs to stay out of my business. I was just venting.
I realize how that sounded to you and truthfully it would hurt his feelings of he read it. Thank you for pointing this out to me, and for the encouragement. Good luck to you as well [/QUOTE

I replied based on my own beliefs and that Frances and I have no business that is not the others business. Everything is "our business". Some suggest the husband keep his nose out of "their business". I feel husband and wife became joined together into one. The notion of one having anything generally speaking without the others involvement goes against my way of thinking. Again men and women think differently and another point of view is welcome as far I am concerned because although I am fairly intelligent I don't know everything. Perhaps Frances or one of you here may have a different view that I that I haven't thought about. I want to always make GOOD INFORMED decisions. Getting other thoughts and ideas than my own allows that. If I did know it all; I wouldn't need other ideas or opinions would I?
I know things are said here that aren't meant exactly how they read or come across. Frankly I myself love and value Frances thoughts and ideas. She is my life partner and can't see that ever being any other way. We don't see some things the same; some we do. Because we don't always agree about things doesn't devalue her opinions or make me feel that since she can't see things my way she should keep quit and stay out of my business.

I suspect exactly what you said. We husbands have a vested interest in our wifes and don't want to see you fail or struggle. We want to help but as we think differently and see things differently "you" view us as wrong and needing to stay out of your business because "we" are men and just don't a clue. I guess there are some of both sides that didn't fully develop mentally that makes that true for both men and women. I wonder how many of you that feel your men need to stay out of your business; vent to them about all the aggravations you had today, about the problems and so forth everyday? If you do that, you are putting them in your business because you need to vent to someone; yet want them to stay out of it too. That's a contradiction to us. Ladies you need to realize and understand we men are wired different. We want to fix it. It is within use to want to help fix whats wrong or broke if we can. Venting sometimes appears to us to be you have a problem that you are want us to help with.
Men (at least in my world - mechanicing, trying to fix trucks and machinery) talk to each other trying to solve problems that we don't exactly know how to solve. We brainstorm together looking for solutions and we individually become the collective when we work together trying to reason through what/how to do.
Now, also let me add men don't just huddle together with ANYBODY trying to solve problems. They counsel with others who they feel are able to help. It is a man thing; but it is a form of repect to another man for one to ask what do you think about.....
We don't generally ask Barney or Gubber for their thoughts because we don't see them being able to offer anything for help. SO, if YOUR man ask your opinion or shares a problem he is working on with you; consider your opinion or thoughts are valued by him. He wouldn't have otherwise. Now realize when you vent to him it is perceived by him that you are in fact asking his thoughts on the matter. So when you shut him down for offering his 2 cents you have just confused him, and likely hurt his feelings. If you really want us to stay out of it you must learn to keep it to yourself and deal with whatever on your own.
Tags:4th of july, independence day, july 3rd, july 5th, marriage, national holidays, paid holidays
Reply Up