Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare While Mom and Dad Vacation...
pfund2233 06:47 PM 02-06-2012
Tonight at pick up I had one of my DCD ask if I would be willing and able to care for their daughter if they went on an all adult vaction in about 1yr with a large group of their friends. I said of course at first as I didn't really understand what they were asking. He then clarified they would want me to keep DCG for 1 week 24hrs a day! I love this little girl and her family but holy moly! He told me just to name my price!! (this is a pritty well off family who have ALWAYS treated me and my family well) He flat out told be they trust NO one else... not even then grandparents!

Would you do it? DCG will be almost 2yr when this vacation would happen. What would you charge? Would you make other rules? Never been asked this before!
Heidi 07:07 PM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by pfund2233:
Tonight at pick up I had one of my DCD ask if I would be willing and able to care for their daughter if they went on an all adult vaction in about 1yr with a large group of their friends. I said of course at first as I didn't really understand what they were asking. He then clarified they would want me to keep DCG for 1 week 24hrs a day! I love this little girl and her family but holy moly! He told me just to name my price!! (this is a pritty well off family who have ALWAYS treated me and my family well) He flat out told be they trust NO one else... not even then grandparents!

Would you do it? DCG will be almost 2yr when this vacation would happen. What would you charge? Would you make other rules? Never been asked this before!
I'd do it, if it was only one child. I'd probably just double my regular weekly rate?????
SilverSabre25 07:11 PM 02-06-2012
$(double daily rate + 10)/day is what I would charge probably, with permission to transport, of course, and a car seat if I didn't have a spare.
wdmmom 07:15 PM 02-06-2012
I think twice the normal weekly rate would be suffice as long as she sleeps through the night. That'd be my only deal breaker if she didn't.
spud912 07:16 PM 02-06-2012
I would definitely do it if I liked the family (and child), I didn't have other plans and it wouldn't add too much to my plate. As far as the rate, double the rate plus a little extra to cover extra meals and outings.

With the "rules," the child would have to be able to go wherever we go after hours (including grocery stores) and he or she would have to go to bed at an appropriate hour. I would make sure everything was well-stocked as well. If I didn't have an extra car seat, they would have to supply one.
cheerfuldom 07:42 PM 02-06-2012
Definitely get local emergency contacts, medical insurance info, signed permission to make all emergency decisions on their behalf, permission to transport
pfund2233 08:45 PM 02-06-2012
Thanks alot for all the suggestions and info!! I knew you all would be helpful!!!
Meyou 04:24 AM 02-07-2012
I would do 2.5 times my daily rate and I wouldn't mind doing this for families at all!
momofboys 04:31 AM 02-07-2012
I would definitely double my daily rate & then some (maybe double + $5 - for me this would be @ $50/day) & ask for parents to pay for any incidentals like meals out/trips to the zoo, etc.
SilverSabre25 04:44 AM 02-07-2012
Oh, and I would probably jokingly ask for a souvenir if they're going somewhere cool.

Last night I jokingly demanded a share of the winnings if one family wins the lottery and they agreed
momofboys 05:06 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Oh, and I would probably jokingly ask for a souvenir if they're going somewhere cool.

Last night I jokingly demanded a share of the winnings if one family wins the lottery and they agreed

Too funny!
jen2651 05:15 AM 02-07-2012
When my children were still in dc, my family gave all us 'grown up kids' a wonderful cruise - to be taken as a family trip. But, that meant we needed to find something to do with our 3 year old! My inlaws were more than willing to take them for a long weekend, but they still work too and I couldn't ask someone to take that much time off work. We ended up asking his daycare lady (who we loved). She had kids his age and he loved the whole family. She had him for 5 days. We just paid for the daycare week ($135) as normal (she watche my son from Saturday - Thursday for the vacation). And gave her and her family $150 for watching him. We seperated the money so she didn't need to claim that as income as it was really a 'friendship' deal, not a daycare deal. It worked out fantastic. My son wasn't really out of sorts and to me, that was the biggest concern. I love my inlaws but keeping him in his element was the most important.

Please look at it as a compliment. We really could think of no one else we would have wanted to ask. She treated him like one of her kids...he went to watch dance class and to the grocery store. He loved it and keeps asking us when we are going on vacation again. But going on an adult only vacation for longer than a weekend was never something we would have chosen to do. It was fantastic yet we needed to make sure we had somewhere for him to go. Again, please take it as a compliment!
KEG123 05:55 AM 02-07-2012
I'd probably do it. If it's for 5 days, double their weekly rate. If they want the weekend too, triple it.
MrsB 06:08 AM 02-07-2012
Sounds like an awesome deal! And a great way to make some extra money. Might want to figure out a few things though. What happens if he gets sick and you would normally call to have him picked up? You can't have him get all your other dcks sick. Make sure you have a seprate contract for this that has all the stipulations in it, since you will be "breaking" some of your normal rules. You dont want to make your current contract null and void. Check with your licensing branch on stipulations for overnight care and if you are still covered under your liability insurance if something happens "after hours". Our state requires that if they stay overnight it has to be in an actual bed and it can't be more than 16 hours in a 24 hour period. So you have to see which rules you will be breaking and if it is worth it or not. Let us know what you decide!!
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 02-07-2012
No matter how good the money I would NOT do it.

I offer child care services from 7:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Monday through Friday.

Nothing more and nothing less.

But that is just me.
JenNJ 06:33 AM 02-07-2012
I would for $500 a week.
Cat Herder 06:41 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I would for $500 a week.
Me, too... At age 2, it will be pretty easy.

I have a teenaged daughter, so I'd let little one sleep in her room (as long as it was during summer vacation from school) . "Scared Straight", Mom style.... College will look awesome...
wahmof3 07:43 AM 02-07-2012
I wouldn't do it either. I wouldn't want that liability, besides that my state law requires a 6 hour per day shut down.

Also, I wouldn't want to open that door- I close shop at 4:30. After 4:30 that's my family time
sharlan 02:56 PM 02-08-2012
I have.

I've kept the kids for long weekends so the parents could get away.The parents paid the weekly rate for the weekend.

One family, I kept the SA while they went on a cruise. The little ones stayed with family friend. I got paid my weekly rate for all 3, even though I didn't have the 2 littles, plus an additional $200.
Unregistered 04:32 PM 02-08-2012
I've done this many times but only for favorite families... As a matter of fact, 10 years ago, I kept a little one for a week and with the extra money iImade, I was able to afford to buy my dachshund puppy!

I only do it if I like the kids really well and if I know that they sleep through the night, can be transported and the parents actually appreciate that I will treat them as my own.

I am keeping a 7 year old in a couple of weeks but I've had him since he was 7 months old so I know him very well...his dad just died suddenly in November and his stepmother doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with the kids so his mom asked if he could stay with me...he could probably stay with his Grandma but he is more comfortable staying with me so I have no problem with it..

I am charging 2x what the day rate would be and his mom is happy with it..
saved4always 07:13 PM 02-08-2012
Nope. I wouldn't do it. I don't think my husband would be very happy if I agreed to watch a child for an entire week. No matter what they paid. I pretty much do childcare in my home on a schedule that does not affect our family time at all. I do it for extra spending money, not to support our family. If my income was more significant to our budget, I would do it then. But not at this point. Except maybe my favorite little guy; even my husband thinks he is a sweetie, so maybe if they asked it would be a yes.
Childminder 07:30 PM 02-08-2012
Do it all the time. Weekends, a week, 2 weeks, whatever. One time the little guy didn't know who his parents were when they got back. He was 2 and they were gone 2 weeks. My mom said it could happen but I never believed her till then. Didn't stop them from going every year for years. I charge according to what they can afford. They pay big bucks to have their pets taken care of I'll charge $100 bucks a day. They always bring something back for me and leave mad money for special treats, ie; pizza, dinner out, movie night, etc...usually around $60-$100.
renodeb 06:55 AM 02-09-2012
I have done a few things like that for a select group of kids. It worked out great for me and then and the extra money was nice. I would go with your instincts. Just make sure you have car seat and permission to transport and emergency contacts all lined up.
Debbie
grandmom 03:09 PM 02-09-2012
I'm doing it right now. 8 days. 2 children and parents are in Disneyworld. Infant and I are here. Oh yeah, and I'm house-sitting too. Cat, fish, house, kid. Love the family. Love the money.
saved4always 03:13 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Do it all the time. Weekends, a week, 2 weeks, whatever. One time the little guy didn't know who his parents were when they got back. He was 2 and they were gone 2 weeks. My mom said it could happen but I never believed her till then. Didn't stop them from going every year for years. I charge according to what they can afford. They pay big bucks to have their pets taken care of I'll charge $100 bucks a day. They always bring something back for me and leave mad money for special treats, ie; pizza, dinner out, movie night, etc...usually around $60-$100.
Hmmmm....now maybe I WOULD do it if I was going to get paid that much.
wdmmom 08:44 PM 02-09-2012
I know its not a good comparison but the going rate to boardan animal in my area is about $45 a day and owners supply food.

So whoever said $100 a day, your spot on!
Tags:parents - don't want kids, vacation, vacation - parents
Reply Up