Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Suggestions!
Unregistered 11:15 AM 03-17-2020
Hi all! I just started doing after school care in January. With the covid-19 crisis & school shut down I just jumped from having kids 2 hours a day 4 days a week to 10 hour days 4-5 times a week! And I've got a wide age range from 7mo (mine) to third grade. I'm doing e-learning with the oldest 3, plus preschool with my own 3 & 5 year olds. One of the schools only does 3 days of work & the other does 5. It feels like chaos over here. I'm a very type A stick to a schedule kind of mama & the school agers don't want to follow the schedule for anything. I've planned out blocks of time with projects for those not doing school work, but they don't want to do any of the projects. I feel like I have 6 kids vying for my attention, all needing help with what they're working on, & none able to sit & focus. If I plan a project they always ask if they have to do it. I don't force them, but then the ones not helping end up rough housing or bouncing around. How would you handle things with older kids? Is it appropriate to respond with you can choose to read a book if you don't want to paint? Also the older ones want to work on their own projects, mostly messy stuff, at will throughout the day. (Clay, paint, markers, orbees, etc). I allowed this for a few days with the rule that they clean their own mess, but no one has shown the ability to handle that. The mess is left at the table & I feel like I run behind everyone tidying up. I want them to do fun things, but I'm exhausted & it's only day 2. Help! Give me your best suggestions for implenting a routine. How much freedom do I give the older ones? I'm used to my own little ones who follow my routine easily& I'm floundering here! Thanks in advance!!!
Michael 11:40 AM 03-17-2020
Is this your business or are you working for someone? While I’m sure the extra money is helpful you may want to shed one or two if the tougher ones from your care. It should make your group more manageable and help the other children to be in a more positive environment.
Unregistered 12:09 PM 03-17-2020
It is my own business. I'd really hate to cut care during this crisis though if I can avoid it. Most of the school age programs have all been shut down along with the schools. I might have to resort to that though if I can't find a similance of order. I just wish there was a step by step how to book for managing school age kiddos. Do different than what I'm used to! Lol
Blackcat31 12:37 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi all! I just started doing after school care in January. With the covid-19 crisis & school shut down I just jumped from having kids 2 hours a day 4 days a week to 10 hour days 4-5 times a week! And I've got a wide age range from 7mo (mine) to third grade. I'm doing e-learning with the oldest 3, plus preschool with my own 3 & 5 year olds. One of the schools only does 3 days of work & the other does 5. It feels like chaos over here. I'm a very type A stick to a schedule kind of mama & the school agers don't want to follow the schedule for anything. I've planned out blocks of time with projects for those not doing school work, but they don't want to do any of the projects. I feel like I have 6 kids vying for my attention, all needing help with what they're working on, & none able to sit & focus. If I plan a project they always ask if they have to do it. I don't force them, but then the ones not helping end up rough housing or bouncing around. How would you handle things with older kids? Is it appropriate to respond with you can choose to read a book if you don't want to paint? Also the older ones want to work on their own projects, mostly messy stuff, at will throughout the day. (Clay, paint, markers, orbees, etc). I allowed this for a few days with the rule that they clean their own mess, but no one has shown the ability to handle that. The mess is left at the table & I feel like I run behind everyone tidying up. I want them to do fun things, but I'm exhausted & it's only day 2. Help! Give me your best suggestions for implenting a routine. How much freedom do I give the older ones? I'm used to my own little ones who follow my routine easily& I'm floundering here! Thanks in advance!!!
I would leave the school part to parents.
This is just too much.
School agers need care right now but just because they are in your care during the day doesn't mean you are the one responsible for covering their school work.

Considering the chaos happening, I'd probably forego the preschool stuff right now too and simply provide quality care and supervision for these children.

Doing too much and being stressed about it the easiest way to invite illness onto yourself and right now, caregivers are playing a vital role in helping the nation deal with this crisis.

I've foregone ALL structure teaching and lesson plans and simply focused on additional hand washing and hygiene habits (which is extra time consuming) and letting the kids just play right now. Meals/snacks and rest time are the only scheduled times of the day.

These kids can feel the stresses from the disruption of "normal" life so being allowed to simply play and have fun is probably what they need more than anything.
Reply Up