Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Losing Families!
MrsCoffee 08:03 AM 07-01-2010
I lost one of my infants last week.... Now another possibly...

This morning I was told by one of my dcg mom's that she doesn't know if she can afford me! She was my fill for the summer. She is in a full time spot just for the summer, she then says to me "Well I get two weeks vacation, it's in my contract. I will have to use them somewhere" !!!stomp foot!! I'm sorry but those are for full time year around families. Not summer full timers. Lesson learned. Will have to add that to my contract! Ugh!

This is a big hit financially! I am enrolled in my CDA coarse. Just applied for scholarships. Was told that I qualify, one for the cda accreditation and one for Associates degree for people involved in early childhood education. I want to work my butt off and become a teacher, preschool-1 grade. I am so nervous right now! After I complete the Associates I can apply for the Bachelors scholarship. Then I can work as a teacher. I would love that.

How do you find families?!

Crazy thing I had two calls this week from women that want childcare referred from their caseworkers. DHS they have no source of income but want me to watch their kids.... Jesus help me
momma2girls 09:04 AM 07-01-2010
I now have 2 weeks paid vacation. I increased it from 1 week about 3 yrs. ago. I have also added that the 2 weeks vac. is due to me before leaving for any reason. I had someone with a seperation anxiety infant for one yr. I planned on a week vac. told everyone about it 3 months earlier. This family gave me a 2 week notice, 2 weeks before my vac. in Dec. after watching her baby that had a huge seperation anxiety problem, for a yr. she quits right before my week vac.!!!!! She just didn't want to pay it!!! I have learned my lesson there, from then on, I stuck by the 2 week vac. paid before leaving along with the 2 week notice!!!
tenderhearts 09:16 AM 07-01-2010
I feel for you. I lost 3 kids in the last 2 months, it's a huge hit financially. I knew if was going to happen, they were all the same age and going to school, I just thought I'd have them at least for summer but both families lost their jobs this last month. I was being too picky at first, I wanted only full time so I turned alot of calls away, well now I wish I hadn't. I'm hoping I fill them quickly. Hang in there.
Preschool/daycare teacher 09:32 PM 07-02-2010
*sigh of relief* it's not just us then... I felt like crying today. We were wondering if we were doing something wrong, although everyone's situation is beyond our control (custody issues, moving, job issues, etc). Found out just this week that at least four of our children would not be coming back for daycare this fall (two effective immediately, with no notice). But possibly 4 more besides them. So possibly 8 total... We don't have a big turnover rate either, so it's extremely odd to receive notice of so many at once.
Good luck to you, I will be praying for all those providers out there in the same situation as our's.
jenh171 06:58 AM 07-03-2010
I just lost 2 full timers (and I only take 5 children). Both moms are teachers and lost their jobs due to state budget cuts. Actually, a third mom also lost her job, but is continuing to send her 2 yr. old to me 3 days a week...I honestly don't know how she can do it when she's just collecting unemployment. I think at least some of our losing clients has to do with the economic situation in our country. It seems to me as if we're experiencing a little bit of a trickle down effect. Has anyone else lost kids because of parents becoming unemployed?
professionalmom 07:17 AM 07-03-2010
Originally Posted by jenh171:
I think at least some of our losing clients has to do with the economic situation in our country. It seems to me as if we're experiencing a little bit of a trickle down effect. Has anyone else lost kids because of parents becoming unemployed?
Yes. It is trickling down to us. We are certainly feeling the pinch here in MI, the leader of the recession and unemployment (even though I think 1 state just passed us up for highest unemployment). I am terrified of the economy right now. I know the "experts" claim that it's starting to rebound, but I just don't see it. Not yet, at least.
jenh171 07:22 AM 07-03-2010
it looks like Nevada's unemployment rate is slightly higher than Michigan. it seems to be generally improving, but sllllllloooowlllly...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mployment_rate
QualiTcare 10:57 AM 07-03-2010
Originally Posted by krogers1982:

This morning I was told by one of my dcg mom's that she doesn't know if she can afford me! She was my fill for the summer. She is in a full time spot just for the summer, she then says to me "Well I get two weeks vacation, it's in my contract. I will have to use them somewhere" !!!stomp foot!! I'm sorry but those are for full time year around families. Not summer full timers. Lesson learned. Will have to add that to my contract! Ugh!

This is a big hit financially! I am enrolled in my CDA coarse. Just applied for scholarships. Was told that I qualify, one for the cda accreditation and one for Associates degree for people involved in early childhood education. I want to work my butt off and become a teacher, preschool-1 grade. I am so nervous right now! After I complete the Associates I can apply for the Bachelors scholarship. Then I can work as a teacher. I would love that.

Crazy thing I had two calls this week from women that want childcare referred from their caseworkers. DHS they have no source of income but want me to watch their kids.... Jesus help me
if you do get a bachelor's in early childhood -
you'd actually be a preschool - 3rd grade teacher.
QualiTcare 11:04 AM 07-03-2010
Originally Posted by jenh171:
I just lost 2 full timers (and I only take 5 children). Both moms are teachers and lost their jobs due to state budget cuts. Actually, a third mom also lost her job, but is continuing to send her 2 yr. old to me 3 days a week...I honestly don't know how she can do it when she's just collecting unemployment. I think at least some of our losing clients has to do with the economic situation in our country. It seems to me as if we're experiencing a little bit of a trickle down effect. Has anyone else lost kids because of parents becoming unemployed?
the economy is HORRIBLE and it's showing where i live for sure. i don't remember teachers ever being let go in my lifetime, but some of them have here too because of budget cuts. i'm a teacher and i can't get a job if they're laying people off obviously. i can't get a job doing simple things that only require a GED either. it's reeeally not flattering to be "overqualified."

i don't see things improving here yet either. i'm getting ready to go back to school to be a nurse so i'll never have to worry about job security again.
momofboys 09:27 AM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by krogers1982:

I'm sorry for you! I hope something good comes along! I have 1 full-time opening right now that I am trying to fill. I advertised on Care.com, Craigslist & in our local paper. I have gotten one legit call & one that I believe was Spam. I have found that letting EVERYONE you know know that you do daycare is helpful. That is how I got two of my customers.
MarinaVanessa 10:04 AM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I'm sorry for you! I hope something good comes along! I have 1 full-time opening right now that I am trying to fill. I advertised on Care.com, Craigslist & in our local paper. I have gotten one legit call & one that I believe was Spam. I have found that letting EVERYONE you know know that you do daycare is helpful. That is how I got two of my customers.
Yes and tell your friends and family to let their aquiantences know also! I had a client that was also kind of family (on my daughter's father's side) and she was always saying she was putting in her notice and didn't want to use up her two-weeks (she gave up her two-week deposit). She even gave it to me in writing and thank goodness that my fiance told his client that I did daycare (she was asking how he would find daycare when our baby came) and she was excited! Her mom wasn't able to care for her two kiddos and needed someone right away. Got a call that same Friday (of the written notice) and they started Monday after doing all of the interviews. Monday morn rolled around and the DCM that gave notice called to say she'd be bringing her kids back. Sorry, too late. I filled your spot. She was so surprised because she'd done this a few times and I had never taken her seriously and had always taken her back.

I got another client through my fiance's sister. She worked at a wood place (cabinets, hardwood floors etc) and she had a client that was looking for a daycare for her son. She gave her client my number and he started a week later. Point is, get everyone you know to drop your name. I do it all of the time also. Went to a babyshower and we were talking about funny kid stories and ALL of my stories started with "One of the daycare kids that I watch..." One of the moms works near me and asked Babyshower Mom for my number. She called Monday and tomorrow she's coming to check out my home. Hopefully I'll like her and hopefully she needs full-time. It's my last spot but if she only needs part-time and I like her and her son I'll take them on anyway lol.

Point is get EVERYONE on board. Mention it at doctor's appointments, grocery stores, salons and at your own kids schools. I get more calls from people that have been given my name than from advertisements. People would rather give someone a chance if they were referred. Good luck.
AmandasFCC 01:15 PM 07-06-2010
I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I just keep losing kids and none cite any problems with me or my program as the reason ... one moved away, one parents' dad got laid off so he wanted to take the kids, one I termed for behaviour ... I've got 2 kids now whose parents work evenings for now but they want to make sure they have a space to come back to when they get day jobs, and another one whose mom is on mat leave so he went from full time to part time in Feb. ... I'm having such a hard time filling my 3 available spaces and it's really weighing heavily on me

I keep being told it can only get better so that's what I'll tell you. Don't take it personally, the economy is in the pooper and EVERYone is feeling the crunch
momma2girls 01:30 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
the economy is HORRIBLE and it's showing where i live for sure. i don't remember teachers ever being let go in my lifetime, but some of them have here too because of budget cuts. i'm a teacher and i can't get a job if they're laying people off obviously. i can't get a job doing simple things that only require a GED either. it's reeeally not flattering to be "overqualified."

i don't see things improving here yet either. i'm getting ready to go back to school to be a nurse so i'll never have to worry about job security again.
I am a nurse, and they are in high demand, but I will tell you the burn out rate is tremendous!!! No matter what you are in hosp, offices, nursing homes, assisted livings, etc. we work short all the time, and so many quit, low pay, not enough help, etc. Good luck with everything!!!
QualiTcare 03:05 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I am a nurse, and they are in high demand, but I will tell you the burn out rate is tremendous!!! No matter what you are in hosp, offices, nursing homes, assisted livings, etc. we work short all the time, and so many quit, low pay, not enough help, etc. Good luck with everything!!!
hmm....sounds like teaching - except nurses get paid more! same problems - teachers quit all the time (1/2 within 5 years), low pay, too many kids...the usual with most jobs.

BUT there's never a shortage of jobs - just take your pick.
Tags:economy, filling spots
Reply Up