Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Holiday Question...When You Provide Saturday Care
SilverSabre25 05:37 AM 10-29-2010
I care for one DCB on Saturday. He's here either 4 or 5 days a week, so it's not like I have him 6 days or something. He's the only one I have on the weekends. I'm running into a dilemma about holidays.

The point of taking off Thanksgiving and the day after is mostly to get a nice long weekend...but that would be three days off for them where it's only 2 for most of my families. Plus, I'm considering being nice and keeping DCB on the Friday because I know that his parents are NOT likely to have it off or be able to get it off easily (they work for a moving company and as a baker at a large grocery store) as well as the Saturday.

The next dilemma is Christmas and New Year's Day. They both fall on a Saturday this year, meaning I would get the Friday before paid...but again, this means that where most families would get one day, his has to deal with 2.

Bah...I don't know what to do! Anyone else have the sort of problem?
legomom922 06:26 AM 10-29-2010
I watch one dcg on Saturdays. I am taking those days as paid and I am closed on those holidays. They will have to find other arrangments for those days. I am not closed the day after Thanksgiving though. And New Years Eve I close at 3pm and will get full pay as well.
BentleysBands 06:48 AM 10-29-2010
imo, i would take off . they have to find alternate care just like the other weekly families.
mac60 06:54 AM 10-29-2010
I would take it off and have the long weekend. They should be able to find family/friend to cover on these special days. You do deserve some time off.
MarinaVanessa 07:47 AM 10-29-2010
I would just take it off as well. Yes you take care of the child on Saturdays on a regular basis but because this child is the only one you do this for I am assuming that this is a special exception you have made and probably don't advertise for saturday care. This in itself is a huge favor for the family. You are entitled to vacation time and if your policies say that you get certain days off etc then take them.
legomom922 11:46 AM 10-29-2010
Is it possible that we could ever get sued for like discrimination or something for providing care on a sat at reg pricing when others we tell no or jack the price up? Or is always up to us because it's our business? I charge one family reg rates on sat because I am more of a friend to them but everyone else pays top dollar..
MarinaVanessa 12:43 PM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Is it possible that we could ever get sued for like discrimination or something for providing care on a sat at reg pricing when others we tell no or jack the price up? Or is always up to us because it's our business? I charge one family reg rates on sat because I am more of a friend to them but everyone else pays top dollar..
Nah, you can charge different families different rates. The only exception is when you accept subsidy payments, in that case you just can't charge those families more than you normally would. I offer weekend care on an ask for basis and always at a higher rate but offer my full timers a slightly lower rate than let's say a PT family or a drop-in because that family already pays a FT rate (as in their payments are the highest). I do this because It's another incentive for families to bump up to FT instead of only PT.

Also, I've had clients that I've negotiated different rates for because of different circumstances.
Tags:holiday rates, holidays, saturday care, weekend care
Reply Up